Michael (of Bernicia) Waugh, UK bankster-buster

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Michael (of Bernicia) Waugh, UK bankster-buster

Post by NYGman »

There is something strangely apropos about having a Beer discussion in Michael O'Bonkers thread, carry on...
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

longdog wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:43 am 1300 British pubs? Bi-weekly pub crawls? Would you like help with your alcohol problem?
:naughty: you term it an alcohol problem when it's really an economic stimulus package.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Apparently the recommended weekly limit these days is 14 units for an adult male. By the time I shake loose this mortal coil I fully expect the health fascists concerned medical establishment to have reduced that to thinking about having a pint twice a month.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I'm not concerned about the quality of the beer at the Polar Bear, that's not my reason for going. I'm planning to have a beer there because it's listed in the bible. Religions have their holy books and this is mine;

https://shop1.camra.org.uk/index.php/pr ... w-edition/
This definitive listing is the result of 25 years’ research by CAMRA to discover pubs that are either unaltered in 70 years or have features of truly national historic importance. Comprehensively revised from the 2013 edition, the book boasts updated information and over 650 top-quality new photographs. Among the 260 pubs, there are unspoilt country locals, Victorian drinking palaces and mighty roadhouses. The book has features describing how the pub developed, what’s distinctive about pubs in different parts of the country, how people a century ago could expect to be served drinks at their table, and how they used the pub for take-out sales in the pre-supermarket era. There is a bonus listing of 75 pubs that, while not quite meeting CAMRA’s national criteria, will still thrill visitors with their historic ambience.
The cover photo is the Black Horse in Preston (been there). Note the bar. Like the White Hart one of the few remaining ceramic bars in Britain, a distinction it shares with the Polar Bear;
The stand-out feature at the Polar Bear is its magnificent ceramic-fronted counter, one of only fourteen surviving in the whole UK and the largest of any with a curved front. Its manufacturer was probably Burmantoft of Leeds, and Hull can proudly boast of another example - at the White Hart (see opposite). The pub itself, whose name reflects its siting near Hull’s one-time zoological gardens, was built in 1895 by prolific local architects Freeman, Son & Gaskell and later extended and refitted by them in 1922 (for the Hull Brewery Co.). This revamp added elements like the ‘orchestra’ area with its splendid domed skylight, the fitted bench seating and the striking stone signage outside. Modern alterations in the early 1980s retained the separate back smoke room (now a games room) but swept away a small partitioned-off saloon from within the large front bar. Statutorily listed in 2005 following a successful application by CAMRA.
https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pubs/581

The other Hull pubs listed in the guide are the Olde White Hart and the Olde Black Boy, both of which I've been to numerous times. The White Hart is in the most recent edition but only in their closed pubs listing. No doubt it will return to the main listing if it survives long enough to be around for the next edition. To date I've had a beer at 140 of the 260 pubs in the guide.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

The Olde White Hart (Hull Pub) appears to have switched owners and the beer quality seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

I’ll be in there tomorrow night but the last time I was there (Xmas) is was disappointing and the clientele have become aggravated drunks which really spoils the place as it’s a great looking olde pub.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

JimUk1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:22 pm The Olde White Hart (Hull Pub) appears to have switched owners and the beer quality seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

I’ll be in there tomorrow night but the last time I was there (Xmas) is was disappointing and the clientele have become aggravated drunks which really spoils the place as it’s a great looking olde pub.
Too bad, a really great pub. I particularly like how you go down a corridor into a courtyard to get to it;

https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pubs/197
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

longdog

Post by longdog »

The Olde White Harte seems to change hands on a pretty regular basis and it follows the same pattern. Somebody new takes over, the beer is good, the choice is good and the prices at the upper end of reasonable. Then the prices go up, the choice and quality of the beer go down, the owners start appealing to a weekend-party market that won't sustain it and the beardy, free-range-real-ale, home crocheted muesli lot go elsewhere.

Rinse and repeat.

It's the only pub from which I am currently serving three concurrent life-time bans (which I ignore) by three successive landlords. I'll admit I can be a bit blunt at times but I'm generally good natured except when faced with pompous bar-staff who think they are doing me a huge honour by serving me... They tend to push the wrong button and The Olde White Harte seems to attract them like flies... You know... The sort of people who refer to themselves as 'mine host'.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
radcliffewreck
Swabby
Swabby

Post by radcliffewreck »

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

longdog wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:44 pm The Olde White Harte seems to change hands on a pretty regular basis and it follows the same pattern. Somebody new takes over, the beer is good, the choice is good and the prices at the upper end of reasonable. Then the prices go up, the choice and quality of the beer go down, the owners start appealing to a weekend-party market that won't sustain it and the beardy, free-range-real-ale, home crocheted muesli lot go elsewhere.

Rinse and repeat.

It's the only pub from which I am currently serving three concurrent life-time bans (which I ignore) by three successive landlords. I'll admit I can be a bit blunt at times but I'm generally good natured except when faced with pompous bar-staff who think they are doing me a huge honour by serving me... They tend to push the wrong button and The Olde White Harte seems to attract them like flies... You know... The sort of people who refer to themselves as 'mine host'.

I am absolutely positive that when I'm next in Britain, I need to buy you a pint.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

Micropub? Loads popping up near me.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

Getting back to the bonkers one, the scale of the porkies here is astounding.

https://www.thebernician.net/tgbms-day- ... banksters/
The sergeant then expressed her deep regret that she could not assist in taking back the property, after being convinced by the sheer weight of evidence she was presented with at the scene, that what has happened to the unlawfully evicted woman and so many others, “just isn’t right”.
No she didn't
However, in the aftermath of these events, those very legal advisers and the new chair of the Dorset Police and Crime Panel agreed to hold a meeting to hear the evidence that the police have been conned into assisting the enforcement of mortgage fraud for decades.
No, they were just having a meeting unrelated to the nonsense.
That evening, The Great British Mortgage Swindle screened to a near full house at the Odeon in Bournemouth. The Thames Valley Police Commissioner, Anthony Stansfeld, who features in the film, was in attendance.

Afterwards, he was so utterly appalled by the way in which the police are aggressively assisting bailiffs in the enforcement of fraudulent mortgage possession orders, that he promised to send a memo to every chief inspector in the country, to the following effect:

a. The police are forbidden from assisting bailiffs in the enforcement of mortgage possession orders. They must simply attend to keep the peace, as and when necessary.

b. If they attend, from henceforth they must ask the bailiffs to provide evidence that they are enforcing a legally valid claim.
The last quote reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/xvuItALS9Xk?t=18
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

hucknallred wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:18 am
a. The police are forbidden from assisting bailiffs in the enforcement of mortgage possession orders. They must simply attend to keep the peace, as and when necessary.
True up to a point - and that point is reached if a High Court enforcement officer is impeded in the execution of a repossession warrant. From that moment on, they can weigh in with what ever required assistance is needed.

Is he really that stupid, or merely keeping up appearances for the really stupid who follow him?
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34 am True up to a point
The untruth I was pointing out was the police chief being there.
The only reason this screening happened was because somebody sponsored it.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

One of my deepest fantasies is to found a British Bailiff and Repossession firm staffed entirely with Americans who worked just a little too long in big city law enforcement. We don't care about the very British politeness and sensibility I see in every single repossession YouTube from across the pond. We'll only do FMOTL and other "you ain't the boss of me and you owe me a free house" cases, we'll charge extra but we absolutely, positively guarantee that the eviction will take less than 30 minutes, from knocking on the door to locking up the steel shutters over all the holes in the walls. Including emptying the property of its contents. I just so want to see a video where 30 guys show up, knock politely and behave with all the courtesy possible, for all of about 15 seconds, and then rush the door, physically remove any resisting occupant using their head to open the door and depositing them on the curb while at the same time demonstrating that some laws, like property and gravity, bloody well do apply to them. A human chain of people tossing out furniture, food and other contents and generally making the former owner never complain about police showing up at an eviction again, they'll be demanding protection.

Rodney King's Bailiffs and Boxing, Ltd., it only takes half an hour!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

Changing the payment system for the bailiffs may have a similar effect with less effort.

As it is, each visit, however fruitless, racks up charges, these are usually recovered from the eventual resale of the house, so no-one really cares how much they get mucked about, it's all money in the bank, more the merrier.

If the payment was strictly by results I can see a much firmer line being taken. It is unlikely because the present system suits everybody that matters.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:59 pm
JimUk1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:22 pm The Olde White Hart (Hull Pub) appears to have switched owners and the beer quality seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

Too bad, a really great pub. I particularly like how you go down a corridor into a courtyard to get to it;

https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pubs/197
Gave the Olde White a berth and went for the Head of Steam of Fish Street (for your next visit) a go, very good.

Nice selection of beers from Europe and beyond. Shame about TOWH, but I know when a place becomes unreasonable. Black Boy and sail makers still ok.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Tomorrow it's all happening, according to his update on Wed. Aside, he must assume his acolytes have nothing else to do but hang on his words, if he's only giving three days notice for a trip to Nottingham, location to be disclosed at some later date.
As you may already know, the Bankster-Busters Conference is being held this Sunday, the 21st of July 2019, from 12:00 till 18:00, at a venue on the outskirts of Nottingham, the address of which will be announced to the confirmed attendees only at the end of the week, for security reasons.
longdog

Post by longdog »

JimUk1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:15 pm Black Boy and sail makers still ok.
I loved it couple of years ago when The Old Black Boy became The Old Pink Boy in honour of Hull Pride with a fetching coat of bright pink paint... Oh the outrage! Oh the horror! Oh the humanity! The usual 'why shood i hav it ramed down mi froat and wen iz it strate pride?' Neanderthals united with the civic society and the 'why can't they leave things alone?' defenders of the good old days.

It was in reality just a coat of primer in anticipation of a new coat of gloss black but the landlord has a sense of humour at or above "Well played sir!" grade :mrgreen:

The Sailmakers may have lost its Chipmunks but it does now have your genial canine host Toby the Labrador who can often be seen greeting customers whilst sporting a very natty red bow tie. He takes his job very seriously... As long as he's not distracted by the sound of a bag of crisps being opened... Then he abandons his post with the sort of haste to be expected of a Labrador that hasn't eaten in the last two minutes.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I plan at least one more trip to Hull before decrepitude creeps in and I'm going to follow a few suggestions, like the Head of Steam. A question, is the Criterion open? I went there in 1968 when it was a grand old boozer and returned in 2002 when it was a shithole. Karaoke night in hell. It closed soon after but seems open again on Streetview. Checking my listing I just noted that I'd rated the Criterion as the worst pub of the trip, not the Golden Gates. Another nearby dump, the Strickland, is obviously closed for good and no loss. One Hull pub I really liked was the Whalebone. Plan to go back there.

JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:04 am I plan at least one more trip to Hull before decrepitude creeps in and I'm going to follow a few suggestions, like the Head of Steam. A question, is the Criterion open? I went there in 1968 when it was a grand old boozer and returned in 2002 when it was a shithole. Karaoke night in hell. It closed soon after but seems open again on Streetview. Checking my listing I just noted that I'd rated the Criterion as the worst pub of the trip, not the Golden Gates. Another nearby dump, the Strickland, is obviously closed for good and no loss. One Hull pub I really liked was the Whalebone. Plan to go back there.

Whaley is still open, if you enjoy industrial pollution with your beer :lol:

Not sure about Criterion, I tend to not venture to West Hull much anymore.