Random Freemanesque Babblings II: Back to the Futile

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Random Freemanesque Babblings II: Back to the Futile

Post by The Observer »

Hush puppies are not a simple thing to cook, and I find most establishments guilty of turning them into overcooked dough bombs that sit in your stomach until Judgment Day. I did find a fish house outside of Nashville last fall that knew how to prepare the perfect hushpuppy. I had a hard time deciding on how to divide my stomach space between hush puppies and the fried catfish.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
John Uskglass
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by John Uskglass »

Hush puppies are not a simple thing to cook,
Certainly not in the UK, where they always end up as tough as old boots...
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Actually, you can do some good things with a box of Jiffy mix.
https://site.jiffymix.com/product/?pid=774

Difficult to get in Canada usually, have to order from Amazon. Raw coarse corn meal in my own personal opinion is inedible except when I use it to make this delicacy:
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great- ... eal-bacon/
Hopelessly expensive to buy in grocery stores but one of the easiest forms of cured pork to make at home.
TBL

Post by TBL »

I may be the only U.S. southerner to dislike cornbread.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

eric wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:08 pm Actually, you can do some good things with a box of Jiffy mix.

Difficult to get in Canada usually, have to order from Amazon. Raw coarse corn meal in my own personal opinion is inedible except when I use it to make this delicacy:
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great- ... eal-bacon/
Hopelessly expensive to buy in grocery stores but one of the easiest forms of cured pork to make at home.
I make it all the time, have some in my freezer at the moment. Wait for pork loin roasts to go on sale, some Prague Powder, water, and a week and a half in the fridge and done. However I skip the peameal.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
eric

Post by eric »

I actually did some research on this before I started making my own since the original recipe was developed in rural SW Ontario where I was living at the time. It includes something near and dear to your heart - throw in one bottle of whatever undrinkable dark beer you have around to make up one gallon of brine. The old farm house recipe was modified by the hotels in the area who usually brewed their own beer and they would add spent malt to the brine. It results in a taste closer to a Wiltshire cure.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I put beer in stews but I've not considered it for curing. I might give it a try when I can get beer and pork loins again. Spent brewer's malt would certainly add some flavour to the mix. I just use a Prague Powder mix (1% PP & 99% table salt), brown sugar, cloves, black peppers, and bay leaves. The main item I cure is beef tongues. Fantastic! Whenever I make one for myself I also do another one or two for my fans because I have a list of people who want them.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

eric

Post by eric »

I never haven tongue left over because I use it as part of my head cheese recipe. :mrgreen: Tastes great but the smell when making it will ensure your social distancing. BTW, the brine you are using, if you add some juniper berries is actually the 150 yo original farmhouse recipe except they usually used saltpeter. Works great as well for sweet pickled ham (pork shoulder), hocks, or if you prefer less fat and can get them, softballs. (odd left over the size of a softball when breaking down a leg of ham.)
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

eric wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:08 pm Actually, you can do some good things with a box of Jiffy mix.
Jiffy mix is one of the things i normally stock up on. Mix one box with 2 eggs and a can of corn and make corn cakes for breakfast.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
doublelong
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by doublelong »

The 5G conspiracy is being ramped up to the max.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358
The mast on fire

Today a woman was arrested at Doncaster royal infirmary doing the live stream empty hospital 5G conspiracy thing. I was disappointed though because I missed it by 30 minutes when I dropped my daughter off for her shift.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

doublelong wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:20 pm The 5G conspiracy is being ramped up to the max.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358
The mast on fire

Today a woman was arrested at Doncaster royal infirmary doing the live stream empty hospital 5G conspiracy thing. I was disappointed though because I missed it by 30 minutes when I dropped my daughter off for her shift.

Do these people not realise a lot of Covid-19 infected countries do not have 5G capabilities?

I would normally laugh this off but I’m getting deeply concerned that people like Ceylon and the likes are exploiting peoples anxiety.

I think this has a lot more to run and looking at the trends we could even see a resurgence of FMOTL.

Edit: it does seem people like Chrisy Moron Morris are already proclaiming it a hoax after watching 2 YouTube videos.

What a c***
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

We have empty hospitals and we don't have 5G. British Columbia clamped down fast on social isolation so, while we have coronavirus, it's not yet overwhelming. Hence the empty beds.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... e87a33915/

JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:05 pm We have empty hospitals and we don't have 5G. British Columbia clamped down fast on social isolation so, while we have coronavirus, it's not yet overwhelming. Hence the empty beds.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... e87a33915/
I genuinely hope you all safe and stay that way. This all comes down to staff and bed availability at the end of the day. The more equipment and bed space the best outcome possible.

What these idiots don’t understand about that I have yet to understand. Human behaviour is a huge factor.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

As the article says the normal occupancy rate in British Columbia hospitals is over 100%. it's now down to 60%. The point of emptying hospitals out is of course so that you don't get a sudden pandemic surge with all of the available beds already occupied. The minister of health was able to do this by cancelling all elective surgery, the main source of hospital patients. This has imposed a lot of hardship on people, particularly ones with crippling but routine issues like hip replacement surgery, but if you want available beds you have to take drastic action. My cataract surgery was cancelled which I thought unnecessary since it didn't require an overnight stay, just in and out in a few hours. However the government probably didn't want to start going through the list making multiple exclusions. I assume that the Nottingham hospital that cretin drove around is in the same position.

JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:52 pm As the article says the normal occupancy rate in British Columbia hospitals is over 100%. it's now down to 60%. The point of emptying hospitals out is of course so that you don't get a sudden pandemic surge with all of the available beds already occupied. The minister of health was able to do this by cancelling all elective surgery, the main source of hospital patients. This has imposed a lot of hardship on people, particularly ones with crippling but routine issues like hip replacement surgery, but if you want available beds you have to take drastic action. My cataract surgery was cancelled which I thought unnecessary since it didn't require an overnight stay, just in and out in a few hours. However the government probably didn't want to start going through the list making multiple exclusions. I assume that the Nottingham hospital that cretin drove around is in the same position.
Well my wife is currently preparing for the worst to come this week. We’ve had a stressful week, to the point she made her own scrubs (she did it out of choice to allow the other pairs to dry).

So far it’s been steady as it goes but it looks like the most sick are coming this week and she’s had to be transferred to the temp hospital to help get the worst through it before the health service can no longer cope, although the signs are pretty good (relativity) that there is enough bed space for those that need it.

The real the hospitals have been empty it to allow the places to be deep cleaned and reorganisation of staff and those who won’t be based there.

Allowing people like Ceylon free reign of the airwaves is dangerous as all nations will experience a boom before it calms.

I’ve never been so mad at FMOTL. They’re no longer just a burden on the justice system but now a burden to even fit and health people.
eric

Post by eric »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:52 pm This has imposed a lot of hardship on people, particularly ones with crippling but routine issues like hip replacement surgery, but if you want available beds you have to take drastic action. My cataract surgery was cancelled which I thought unnecessary since it didn't require an overnight stay, just in and out in a few hours. However the government probably didn't want to start going through the list making multiple exclusions. I assume that the Nottingham hospital that cretin drove around is in the same position.
Manpower and possible necessary space might be the reasons. I know the clinic where I have had multiple things done to my eyes has been emptied out for possible use. Here's the math:
1. 1 X nurse/receptionist to meet you and keep the sausage machine running;
2. 1 X anesthesiologist (who is an MD) numbing eyeballs on 8 patients at once;
3. 1 X ophthalmologist (who is also an MD) doing the operation which probably only takes 10 minutes or so;
4. 1 X nurse supervising your half hour recovery to make sure your eyeball doesn't explode.
There you go - 2 doctors, 2 nurses, and 8 beds freed up for use elsewhere. You should be proud of yourself for sacrificing your night driving ability to the greater good.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Night driving? That went years ago. I got approval for surgery because my vision went below the legal minimum limit for night driving. I doubt I meet the daylight driving limit now. Not that I currently have anywhere to go anyhow.

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I was at my local hospital today. Recurring nosebleeds. I wouldn't have gone except that it was interferring with my ability to sleep or get anything done. Now i've got a bulb stuffed way up further than i thought possible, and instructions to call an ENT next week. Anyway, the hospital is well prepared, compartmentalized with platic sheeting and restricted entrance. Three feet inside the energency entrance was a nurse who gave me a mask and hand sanitizer. The nurse, and everyone else there was fully outfitted. They put me in a room then took my id and insurance card. The doctor had other patients apparently, because she came and left 4 times, in between leaving me connected to a pulse and blood pressure monitor. I saw a weakness in the system, she had to keep putting on new gloves and discarding the previous ones. I said they need to design workable gloves that can handle 20 seconds in an autoclave. I'm pretty sure that's on somebody's todo list. I was out in 2 hours and the gusher is down to an occasional trickle which i can handle with the pinch and lean back technique.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

longdog wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:14 pm
grixit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:21 am As for myself, in addition to flour, i bought some Bisquick. I've found that it makes a pretty good pizza in my iron skillet.
When I was in Tesco at the height of the locust season the bread flour had disappeared... Well... All of the flour had disappeared and the only thing left was coarse corn meal. As I had vague recollections of certain parts of the colonies serving "biscuits" made of the stuff with their fried chicken I bought a bag.

I have to admit the whole concept of a "two piece and a biscuit", as I believe it's known, is sheer genius.

I've not tried making "grits" yet. And probably never will.

Oh you should make grits. With butter and a bit of sugar they're very good.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

TBL wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:29 pm I may be the only U.S. southerner to dislike cornbread.
You sure sound like a damn Yankee impostor to me.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.