New indictment against the 4 Brown supporters

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Danny's Counts from the Prior Indictment:
18:372 CONSPIRACY TO PREVENT OFFICERS OF THE UNITED STATES FROM DISCHARGING THEIR DUTIES

18:371 AND 111 (A)(1) CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT OFFENSES AGAINST THE UNITED STATES

18:3 ACCESSORY AFTER THE FACT

18:924(c)(1)(A)(i) CARRYING AND POSSESSING A FIREARM IN CONNECTION WITH A CRIME OF VIOLENCE

Danny's New Counts:
18:372 Conspiracy to Prevent Officers of the United States From Discharging Their Duties

18:371 and 111(a)(1) Conspiracy to Commit Offenses Against the United States in violation of 18:3

18:924(c)(1)(A)(i) & 924(c)(1)(B)(ii) Carrying Using and Possessing a Firearm in Connection with a Crime of Violence

18:924(c)(1)(A)(i) Carrying and Possessing a Firearm in Connection with a Crime of Violence
That single count increases his prison term by a minimum of 25 years.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Reno's counts remained the same:
18:372 Conspiracy to Prevent Officers of the United States From Discharging Their Duties
(1s)

18:371 and 111(a)(1) Conspiracy to Commit Offenses Against the United States in violation of 18:3
(2s)

(3s)

18:924(c)(1)(A)(i) Carrying and Possessing a Firearm in Connection with a Crime of Violence
(5s)
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Wolffe's counts stayed the same:
(1s)

(2s)

(3s)
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

And Jason (the guy with the kick ass court appointed lawyer and the only defendant smart enough to shut up) dropped five key counts which effectively knocks something like 100 years off his mandatory prison sentence.

Under the prior indictment:
18:372 CONSPIRACY TO PREVENT OFFICERS OF THE UNITED STATES FROM DISCHARGING THEIR DUTIES
(1)

18:371 AND 111 (A)(1) CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT OFFENSES AGAINST THE UNITED STATES IN VIOLATION OF 18:3
(2)

(3)

18:924(c)(1)(A)CARRYING AND POSSESSING A FIREARM IN CONNECTION WITH A CRIME OF VIOLENCE AND IN VIOLATION OF 18:371 AND 111(a)(1) AND (b)IN FURTHERANCE OF SUCH CRIME OF VIOLENCE, POSSESSED A FIREARM
(5-10)
Under the new indictment:
(1s)

(2s)

(3s)

18:924(c)(1)(A)(i) & 924(c)(1)(B)(ii) Carrying and Possessing a Firearm in Connection with a Crime of Violence
(4s)
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:That single count increases his prison term by a minimum of 25 years.
If convicted.

An indictment is only an allegation, and defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Your mileage may vary.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Ahem...

Let's not lose sight of the fact that at least some portion of the USA office's bluster is designed to send some kind of a message to the recalcitrant but previously unincarcerated masses. The rookie USA's just don't have the freedom of vocabulary suitable for the task at hand.

'Round here on this side of the Pecos, we're a bit more plain spoken. Hence, more easily understood by the poor miscreant, to wit: "Hey *hithead! Yes, I'm addressing you, sir. Y'all having been bunked there with Crazy Charlie, you probably got to wonderin' what they put in that jail grub, eh? I know, I know, one day you woke up and all of a sudden you found some new rash you've never seen before. Well, at one time so did Crazy Charlie."

Like I said, their vocabulary has to be a little more reserved, er go somewhat less effective. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Demosthenes wrote:That single count increases his prison term by a minimum of 25 years.
Make that 30. New charge is for a "destructive device," not a gun. If he's convicted, of course.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Question for the criminal lawyers. If Jason's counts five through ten simply disappear between the superseding indictment and the second superseding indictment, are those counts still active?
Demo.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

If Jason's counts five through ten simply disappear between the superseding indictment and the second superseding indictment, are those counts still active?
No. The most recent indictment is the only legally-operative one. Those counts, however, can come back in a later superseding indictment; their omission from the current indictment has the same effect as a dismissal, but not with prejudice.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Demosthenes wrote:Question for the criminal lawyers...
Are there two Lawyer Duds? 8)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three