Snipes and Southern Eats

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

CaptainKickback wrote:Have you found a place that serves grits with breakfast?
Regular or al dente?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

Demo,
You have to be careful with grits. Quick grits are not real grits. You want grits that have been cooked the full amount of time. You need to get a can of boiled peanuts and try them. I'm envious just sitting here. In any case, you are from DC - that is just an extension of the south - so you probably already know the virtues of sweet tea and collard greens.
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

CaptainKickback wrote:... Have you found a place that serves grits with breakfast? Or a place where you can get SOS over biscuits with your eggs and hash browns for breakfast. DAMN! That's good eatin'.
In Ocala I expect it is difficult to find a place that doesn't serve grits at breakfast, except perhaps the national fast food chains. Ditto biscuits and sausage gravy (which I believe is different from SOS).

And Iplawyer, boiled (pronounced "balled") peanuts are best eaten out of a brown paper bag, about 5 minutes out of the cooker, again should be plentiful around Ocala.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: olden times

Post by Imalawman »

UGA Lawdog wrote:
Joey Smith wrote:
I went my first Winn Dixie yesterday.
But have you ever been to the Piggly Wiggly?
My first job was working part time at a Piggly Wiggly while I was in high school.

But that store is long closed, just like pretty much all the Piggly Wiggly (and Winn Dixie) stores that used to be in North Georgia. Between Kroger and Publix expanding, and Wal-Mart getting into the grocery biz, they just had their asses handed to them.

You still find some Piggly Wiggly stores in South Georgia. I saw one five years ago when I was in Savannah.
My granddad actually owned a piggly wiggly in a small North Carolina town.

As for grits, when I came out to the north midwest in my mid twenties, I was stunned to find that even IHOP didn't have grits. In fact, the first time I asked for grits, my law school friends laughed, and the waitress asked "what are grits?" There are times when I long for the land of grits, sausage and gravy biscuits, cheerwine, okra, collard greens, boiled peanuts, and of course - sweet tea (or just "iced tea", no need to ask for it to be sweetened) Ah, the glorious south....
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

CaptainKickback wrote:Git yerself a Moon Pie and a YooHoo, mebbe even a GooGoo bar! Have you found a place that serves grits with breakfast? Or a place where you can get SOS over biscuits with your eggs and hash browns for breakfast. DAMN! That's good eatin'.
everyone knows you drink RC cola or Cheerwine with a moonpie not yoohoo.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Demosthenes wrote:This ain't vacation. This is hard labor. You ever sit on a courtroom pew for hours and hours?
Yes. My sympathies.
Demosthenes wrote: ...The judge declined the pro hac vice application which is awkward for the defense because Meachum was supposed to present part of the opening argument.
Did the Judge elaborate on why the application was denied?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Imalawman wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote:Git yerself a Moon Pie and a YooHoo, mebbe even a GooGoo bar! Have you found a place that serves grits with breakfast? Or a place where you can get SOS over biscuits with your eggs and hash browns for breakfast. DAMN! That's good eatin'.
everyone knows you drink RC cola or Cheerwine with a moonpie not yoohoo.
In the Dark Ages, when I was an undergraduate at Clemson U. in S.C. (a "cow college," or A & M school), the President, R.C. Edwards was quite stout, as was his wife. They were universally referred to as "R.C. and Moonpie."

(A "Moonpie" consists of two large round graham crackers with a marshmallow filling dipped in chocolat.)

Boiled peanuts are best eaten out of a brown paper bag.

You all missed good, not too salty, cured ham. I order mine from a place in Dunn, N.C.
"My Health is Better in November."
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

In Ocala I expect it is difficult to find a place that doesn't serve grits at breakfast
I was born and reared in the Deep South but for some reason I have never, ever been able to handle grits. Don't even get 'em around me.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

Snipes' Lawyer May Be Ineligible
By TRAVIS REED – 11 hours ago

OCALA, Fla. (AP) — Wesley Snipes may have to waive a claim that he previously received ineffective counsel, a judge said Tuesday after jury selection concluded in the actor's tax trial.

Snipes was initially represented by two lawyers who also defended Michael Vick in the football player's dogfighting case. One of them, Daniel Meachum of Atlanta, is one of Snipes' longest-serving advisers.

Both were dismissed by the action star last year, with Snipes saying that he received ineffective counsel and that attorney Billy Martin ignored his case in favor of Vick's. U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges at the time agreed to delay the trial but called it a ploy.

Meachum tried to rejoin Snipes on Monday, and Hodges took immediate issue.

The attorney said he withdrew for medical reasons, not because he provided ineffective counsel. But Hodges wouldn't entertain the argument, saying the earlier motion was fraudulent if the new one was true.

He gave Snipes' team two choices: Keep Meachum off the case and in the court gallery, or waive previous claims of ineffective counsel that could be important on appeal.

Snipes and two co-defendants were charged in an October 2006 indictment with fraudulently claiming $11 million in refunds on 1996 and 1997 income taxes already paid. The star of the "Blade" trilogy and other films also was charged with failure to file returns from 1999 through 2004.

Snipes has not spoken about the case, inside court or out, since the trial began. Opening arguments were scheduled for Wednesday after two days of jury selection concluded.

More than 60 potential jurors were questioned, and five men and 11 women were eventually chosen.

None in the potential jury pool was black — of note because Snipes' attorneys tried to have the trial moved. The black actor claimed in filings that the area was racist.

Most in the pool had heard of the case, but not in depth. Only a handful told the judge they knew of the race claim, and one of those women made it onto the panel.
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

When it the sentencing pool starting? My bet is that in the end Snipes serves no time due to race issue.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:
Eddie Kahn read a statement into the record that he would not be participating in the trial.
Typical tax protester "logic."

Somebody might want to try to pass the following note to Eddie Kahn:
Dear Mr. Eddie Kahn: The tactic of not participating in your own trial does not always provide the desired results, dude. On this point, you might want to consider checking with another "Eddie" tax protester. I don't think he has a phone right now, but his address is:

Edward Lewis Brown
prisoner # 03923-049
FCI Fairton
Federal Correctional Institution
P.O. Box 420
Fairton, NJ 08320
Just a thought.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

I just want to know what kind of swag Demo is bringing back to us for souvenirs. I mean, with all those famous names and all....
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Snipes was initially represented by two lawyers who also defended Michael Vick in the football player's dogfighting case. One of them, Daniel Meachum of Atlanta, is one of Snipes' longest-serving advisers.

Both were dismissed by the action star last year, with Snipes saying that he received ineffective counsel
According to Meachum's web site, he has "twenty years experience concentrating in complex litigation, premises liability, products liability, construction / design defect, labor and employment law, sports & entertainment law, commercial transactions, mergers & acquisitions, and residential & commercial real estate."

What is conspicuously absent from that list is tax law and criminal law.
Hodges wouldn't entertain the argument, saying the earlier motion was fraudulent if the new one was true.
I think I've mentioned this before, but Meachum's web site is for "Daniel R. Meachum & Associates, LLC," which would suggest that he has associates. And the web site declares that "Our clients become clients of the entire firm. We assemble a core team of lawyers, each of whom is familiar with the needs and objectives of the client, ...." And there are also lots of different pictures of people floating about, with lots of "we"s and "our"s. However, it is difficult to find any evidence that Meachum actually has any other lawyers working for him or with him.

In fact, Meachum's firm is listed in Martindale-Hubbel and the size is listed as "1" (i.e., one, as in solo).

So there may be more than one thing about Meachum that is fraudulent.
Snipes has not spoken about the case, inside court or out, since the trial began.
Probably the *only* intelligent thing he's done since 2002.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Disilloosianed wrote:I just want to know what kind of swag Demo is bringing back to us for souvenirs. I mean, with all those famous names and all....
Sly's head in a Piggly Wiggly bag on a bed of grits topped with boiled peanuts.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Re: not going to hurt you

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

UGA Lawdog wrote:
Famspear wrote:
In Ocala I expect it is difficult to find a place that doesn't serve grits at breakfast
I was born and reared in the Deep South but for some reason I have never, ever been able to handle grits. Don't even get 'em around me.
Grits are just corn. They're not going to hurt you.

Although they are bland with nothing on them. Most people add one or more of the following to give them some taste: Salt, pepper, butter, margarine, cheese.
I like mine with soy sauce.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

CaptainKickback wrote:
webhick wrote:
Disilloosianed wrote:I just want to know what kind of swag Demo is bringing back to us for souvenirs. I mean, with all those famous names and all....
Sly's head in a Piggly Wiggly bag on a bed of grits topped with boiled peanuts.
Not Sly of Sly and the Family Stone musical group I hope......
First you'd have to extricate it from another sort of bag.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

Grits are alright, but I draw the line at boiled peanuts. Look now, I know some of us don't believe it, but the "Northern Occupation" has ended. We don't have to compete with the cattle for food anymore.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Disilloosianed wrote:Grits are alright, but I draw the line at boiled peanuts. Look now, I know some of us don't believe it, but the "Northern Occupation" has ended. We don't have to compete with the cattle for food anymore.
Tell that to the little kid in me who loved them as a child -- salty and soft and so very good. Boiled peanuts were were sold by vendors at the tobacco markets, along with that great delicacy, the snow cone (raspa to you Texicans).
"My Health is Better in November."
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I'm originally from san Francisco, not DC. Don't do grits, don't do boiled peanuts. Have, however, found a new delicacy in little straws filled with flavored honey.

Demo.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Re: not going to hurt you

Post by Quixote »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
UGA Lawdog wrote:
Famspear wrote: I was born and reared in the Deep South but for some reason I have never, ever been able to handle grits. Don't even get 'em around me.
Grits are just corn. They're not going to hurt you.

Although they are bland with nothing on them. Most people add one or more of the following to give them some taste: Salt, pepper, butter, margarine, cheese.
I like mine with soy sauce.
Broiled salmon on a bed of grits. Heavenly.

More people would each grits if southerners called them polenta.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat