Snipes and Southern Eats

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

webhick wrote:
iplawyer wrote:The SOS in the south is gravy made with the drippings of pork sausage and pork sausage crumbled into it (if you can afford that step).
Strange. My grandmother's version involved unseasoned boiled ground beef, strained, and served over stale wonder bread. And sometimes she'd boil some creamed corn with it. And I assure you, it actually looked like SOS.

I've also heard over at the food pantry something called a salmon wiggle that I'm not too keen on hearing more about. And frosting on crackers "make a great snack". BLECH. Not a fan of "New England Style" macaroni or potato salad either, thanks to the massive amount of vinegar. I'll have it the way I had it actually growing up in "New England" thank you very much.
Webhick,

For pretty decent biscuits and sausage gravy, the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester does a pretty good variation. In Concord, the Capital Grill does all right as well. It is best served with an egg, over-easy, and seasoned with lots of pepper.

When I first moved to New Hampshire (from Tucson), I went out to breakfast at a local diner. I tried to get hot sauce with my eggs. The waitress looked at me as if I had asked her for a bottle of bleach. :shock: She eventually was able to come up with a bottle of Tabasco sauce (the world's most inferior hot sauce).
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

If you need a Waffle House experience and have the time, you can hit one in Grapevine, Texas on a layover at DFW.

But, to be honest, there are a lot of better homestyle breakfast joints within minutes of smaller airports, and a handful of them are worth a pre-dawn takeoff, even if avgas goes higher.

They're several steps up from truck stops and getting there is a helluva lot more fun.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:If you need a Waffle House experience and have the time, you can hit one in Grapevine, Texas on a layover at DFW.

But, to be honest, there are a lot of better homestyle breakfast joints within minutes of smaller airports, and a handful of them are worth a pre-dawn takeoff, even if avgas goes higher.

They're several steps up from truck stops and getting there is a helluva lot more fun.
I prefer to take the Tarantula over to Cowtown and get on the outside of a schooner of Buffalo Butt. 8)
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

ErsatzAnatchist wrote:For pretty decent biscuits and sausage gravy, the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester does a pretty good variation. In Concord, the Capital Grill does all right as well. It is best served with an egg, over-easy, and seasoned with lots of pepper.
I'll try to manage weaseling a gift certificate to the Capital Grill from someone next Christmas and give it a whack. This past year I got a Chili's card and the year before that Veano's. For once, I'd like a gc to a place that doesn't serve overpriced slop.
When I first moved to New Hampshire
Wow, why on earth would you do that? Were you kidnapped? Were they holding your pepperoni at gunpoint?
I tried to get hot sauce with my eggs. The waitress looked at me as if I had asked her for a bottle of bleach. :shock: She eventually was able to come up with a bottle of Tabasco sauce (the world's most inferior hot sauce).
I'm not surprised. I think ketchup is the condiment of choice on eggs up here. I don't think many are willing to handle much spicier than that in the morning.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

When I first moved to New Hampshire
Wow, why on earth would you do that? Were you kidnapped? Were they holding your pepperoni at gunpoint?

Ah, therein lies a tale. Since I moved here from Tuscon, AZ, it is a sad tail. The short version is that I went to law school in New Hampshire and never managed to escape. :cry:

I still think back fondly to spending New Years eve in a jacuzzi, drinking champagne, enjoying the pleasant weather.
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:Afer reading this thread I am reminded of why I don't travel south of Iowa unless I have to.
During my time in Mississippi, squirrel was considered quite a delicacy. Gut it, skin it and marinate in Italian dressing overnight, then toss it on the grill over indirect heat, as you would chicken, and the result was very tasty.

ESQ, your self imposed travel restrictions may be a pretty god idea, lest you find yourself served on a paper plate with bbq sauce.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

BBFlatt wrote:During my time in Mississippi, squirrel was considered quite a delicacy. Gut it, skin it and marinate in Italian dressing overnight, then toss it on the grill over indirect heat, as you would chicken, and the result was very tasty.
Don't throw the heads away. The good ol' boys up in the Ocala National Forest swear that squirrel brains are the ultimate delicacy. Just boil the heads whole and crack them and eat them like hard-boiled eggs.
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

Truthstalker wrote:Don't throw the heads away. The good ol' boys up in the Ocala National Forest swear that squirrel brains are the ultimate delicacy. Just boil the heads whole and crack them and eat them like hard-boiled eggs.
That would explain the significant portion of the population in that area who appear to be suffering from "Mad Squirrel Disease". Perhaps Snipes can make that part of his defense.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

By the way, there's way more to Ocala than pretty barns, raised pick up trucks, and greasy comfort food. While Starbucks may be few and far between, they actually have a casket outlet.

http://schneidersflowersandcaskets.com/caskets_and_urns

Now that's cool.
Demo.
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

Demosthenes wrote:By the way, there's way more to Ocala than pretty barns, raised pick up trucks, and greasy comfort food. While Starbucks may be few and far between, they actually have a casket outlet.

Now that's cool.
It is in Florida, after all. What's our largest air freight export by weight? Dead bodies!

Find one you like?
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Hey Floridians,

What exactly is one supposed to do during a tornado watch besides look out the window in hopes of seeing a tornado?
Demo.
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

Demosthenes wrote:Hey Floridians,

What exactly is one supposed to do during a tornado watch besides look out the window in hopes of seeing a tornado?
I guess that depends on who you're with. :twisted:

Don't bother looking for a storm cellar. There are virtually no basements here.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Dang. It's raining so hard, I can't even see a Waffle House from here.
Demo.
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

You ain't kiddin.' I'm still in the clear (ha,ha).

The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Not much else. Tornadoes in Florida usually are weak and don't last very long. They will touch down, maybe knock over a tree, move a car, or damage a mobile home, but that is about it. You are perfectly safe in that hotel.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

Captain E.J. Smith:
"You are perfectly safe, madam, God himself could not sink this ship."
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Stay away from the damn windows.

I recall all too vividly having a telephone conversation with someone who was foolishly watching a tornado from an office building. It was interrupted when a large sheet of plywood pinwheeled into the window only a few feet from him. He escaped with a lot of nasty-looking cuts.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

What does a tornado and a divorce in Florida have in common? In either case, somebody is losing a doublewide.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

CaptainKickback wrote:Gee, it was 68, dry and sunny here on the left coast and nary a tornado for a good 2,500 miles or so. :wink:
Rumble, rumble, rumble
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Demosthenes wrote:By the way, there's way more to Ocala than pretty barns, raised pick up trucks, and greasy comfort food. While Starbucks may be few and far between, they actually have a casket outlet.

Now that's cool.
I was just picking mine out the other day. You can never plan too far ahead for this contingency.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros