Fraudulent Federal Tax Liens

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Fraudulent Federal Tax Liens

Post by LPC »

Oddly enough, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals didn't seem interested in a claim that a federal tax lien was imposed in violation of Florida law.

Edward D. Branca v. United States, 2008 TNT 15-24, No. 07-13777 (11th Cir. 1/22/2008).
EDWARD C. BRANCA,
Plaintiff-Appellant,
v.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Defendant-Appellee.

[DO NOT PUBLISH]

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT

Non-Argument Calendar

D. C. Docket No. 07-00951-CV-ORL-22-DAB

Appeal from the United States District Court
for the Middle District of Florida

(January 22, 2008)

Before TJOFLAT, BLACK and MARCUS, Circuit Judges.

PER CURIAM:

Edward C. Branca, proceeding pro se, appeals the dismissal with prejudice of his complaint alleging the imposition of a fraudulent federal tax lien on his property, in violation of Fla. Stat. §§ 713.31(2)(b) and 713.901(4), and demanding relief in the form of a declaratory judgment cancelling the lien and awarding punitive damages in accordance with Fla. Stat. § 713.31(2)(b) & (c). Branca originally filed the complaint in the Circuit Court, Orange County, Florida, but the government removed the case, pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §§ 1441, 1442, and 1444, to the district court, where it was subsequently dismissed for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction and failure to state a claim upon which relief could be granted. On appeal, Branca argues that removal of the case was improper, and argues that the district court erred by dismissing the complaint for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction instead of remanding the case to the Orange County Circuit Court where it was originally filed. He also asserts that pursuant to the Declaratory Judgment Act, although federal courts are prohibited from granting declaratory relief with respect to federal taxes, Florida circuit courts retain the power to adjudicate his claim. We affirm.

The United States may remove any case in which it is named a party to federal court. See 28 U.S.C. § 1442(a). Branca named the United States a party to the instant suit, citing 28 U.S.C. § 2410(a). "Any action brought under § 2410 of this title against the United States in any State court may be removed by the United States to the district court of the United States for the district and division in which the action is pending." 28 U.S.C. § 1444. In his complaint, Branca sought relief under the Declaratory Judgment Act, 28 U.S.C. § 2201. Notably, the Act prohibits federal courts from issuing declaratory judgments in federal tax cases, with certain exceptions not applicable here. See 28 U.S.C. § 2201(a) (excepting cases "with respect to Federal taxes" from Act's coverage). Finally, under § 2410, Congress has waived the United States' immunity from suit only to the extent of a procedural challenge, but not to a suit concerning the underlying merits of a tax assessment. Stoecklin v. United States, 943 F.2d 42, 43 (11th Cir. 1991).

Because Congress has explicitly provided for removal to federal court for suits brought under § 2410, the district court did not err in removing the case to federal court. See 28 U.S.C. § 1444. The district court also did not err by dismissing, for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction, Branca's claims challenging the underlying merits of his federal tax lien and seeking declaratory relief. See 28 U.S.C. § 2201(a). Finally, the district court did not err by finding that the United States had not waived sovereign immunity for suits challenging the underlying merits of a federal tax lien under § 2410. Thus, its dismissal, with prejudice, of the remaining portions of the suit was proper. We are unpersuaded by Branca's other arguments. Accordingly, we affirm.

AFFIRMED.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

I do miss Van Pelt.

His commentary hereon would no doubt be invaluable. Is he still living in his mommy's basement?
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Investor

Post by Investor »

When I first read your intro, I was expecting something different. Although this appears to be a silly "they don't have authority to assess and therefore don't have the authority to lien" case, I do take exception with the recent trend of courts ignoring state property law when the federal governement is a party. By that, I am not talking about this crazy TP crap; I am talking about the Craft tenancy by the entireties case out of Michigan, and similar abominations of State v. Federal power.

Back when I was in private law practice, I once had a case in which the IRS placed a lien on a client's personal residence based on a tax obligation of an LLC in which the client had an ownership interest. The explanation I was given was that an LLC is treated like a partnership for tax purposes and that the lien was valid because a general partner is liable for the tax debts of a partnership. The flaws in that logic are just amazing to me. I tried explaining to the RA that federal tax law did not alter property laws in the state, and that an LLC is an entity created under state law, not under the Tax Code. I did get the lien removed, after insisting the RA have a talk with his legal counsel. But I think these guys get a little trigger happy when they have any (even half-backed) theory upon which to lien property.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Investor wrote:Back when I was in private law practice, I once had a case in which the IRS placed a lien on a client's personal residence based on a tax obligation of an LLC in which the client had an ownership interest. The explanation I was given was that an LLC is treated like a partnership for tax purposes and that the lien was valid because a general partner is liable for the tax debts of a partnership.

I tried explaining to the RA that federal tax law did not alter property laws in the state, and that an LLC is an entity created under state law, not under the Tax Code.
Up here, unless you're an LLP, you're only a member of the LLC. If there's more than one member, you file a partnership return - which isn't any different than a registered trade name with more than one name listed. If you're single-member LLC, you file on Schedule C, just like a sole-proprietor. If you want to file as a corp, you have to ask permission from the IRS and it trickles down to the state. And unless you're a multi-member LLC or an LLC filing as a corp, the owner can't put himself on payroll without getting double-taxed and having to sign a waiver with the payroll service stating that you realize that you're double-taxing yourself. The liability for the company's debts still falls on the "members" of the LLC and I've seen instances where the state has levied the members' accounts to get monies owed.

The above information is based on what I've seen and been told by CPAs. I could be wrong in my understanding of it, but I'm fairly certain that I'm not.

I haven't been able to find a specific reason why being an LLC is so grand up here, except for the fancy letters behind the name and that you can switch it up to a corp without dissolving the old name and starting up new name. That happened last year with one of our companies.
But I think these guys get a little trigger happy when they have any (even half-backed) theory upon which to lien property.
Although its nice to see people get excited about their job, I'd prefer it not be erroneously to the detriment of others.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

webhick wrote:I haven't been able to find a specific reason why being an LLC is so grand up here, except for the fancy letters behind the name and that you can switch it up to a corp without dissolving the old name and starting up new name.
When you're choosing an entity to conduct business, the two things you want are protection from personal liability and flow-through taxation (i.e., only one level of tax). The two entities that will achieve these goals are an S corporation and an LLC. But because the Code restricts the number and types of shareholders an S corp can have, an LLC offers more flexibility (e.g., a partnership can't be an S corp shareholder, but it can be an LLC member).

In addition, a single owner who uses an S corporation will have to file two federal returns: one for the corpration and one for himself; if he uses an LLC, he needn't file a return for the entity but will report everything on his own Schedule C, as you pointed out.
Last edited by Cpt Banjo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Investor

Post by Investor »

Up here, unless you're an LLP, you're only a member of the LLC. If there's more than one member, you file a partnership return - which isn't any different than a registered trade name with more than one name listed. If you're single-member LLC, you file on Schedule C, just like a sole-proprietor. If you want to file as a corp, you have to ask permission from the IRS and it trickles down to the state. And unless you're a multi-member LLC or an LLC filing as a corp, the owner can't put himself on payroll without getting double-taxed and having to sign a waiver with the payroll service stating that you realize that you're double-taxing yourself. The liability for the company's debts still falls on the "members" of the LLC and I've seen instances where the state has levied the members' accounts to get monies owed.
That is mostly correct. The election to treat an LLC as a corporation does not, however, require permission. You merely "check a box" on the appropriate form and you are a corporation for tax purposes. My point was that the federal tax treatment of the entity does not alter the property rights of the entity under state law. State law dictates who is and is not liable for debts of an LLC - not federal tax law. Barring a statute making owners of limited liability entities liable for the entity's taxes (a Trust Fund Recovery type of law), the taxes are no different than any other debt. In most states (certainly where I live) an LLC member is absolutely not liable for the debts of the LLC, unless they contractually make themselves liable for such debts (or if there are fraudulent transfers, etc.).
I haven't been able to find a specific reason why being an LLC is so grand up here, except for the fancy letters behind the name and that you can switch it up to a corp without dissolving the old name and starting up new name. That happened last year with one of our companies.
They are used more often than they should, because they are the entity de jour. But there are certainly advantages to using an LLC over other entities. The LLC gives creditor protection, similar to a corporation. The LLC, unlike a C corporation, allows the owners to avoid double taxation, as it is a pass-through entity (unless it elects to be taxed as a corporation). Of course, a corporation may elect to become a pass-through entity by electing to be an S corporation. The problem is an S corporation has limitations which may not work with your business structure. For example, if you have other entities (instead of individuals) as owners, S corporation will not work. An S corporation must allocate all tax items pro rata to the owners based on ownership %. If you have an entity set up where special allocations are necessary, an S corporation is not an option.

The bottom line = LLC gives you liablity protection like a corporation and flexibility like a partnership.

Now, single member LLC's pose completely different issues (see the Albright Bankruptcy case out of Colorado) but that's a little too involved for this thread.

And I see I have (as usual) hijacked a thread and turned it into something not even resembling the original post. Sorry, I will not exit this thread.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

webhick wrote:
Investor wrote:Back when I was in private law practice, I once had a case in which the IRS placed a lien on a client's personal residence based on a tax obligation of an LLC in which the client had an ownership interest. The explanation I was given was that an LLC is treated like a partnership for tax purposes and that the lien was valid because a general partner is liable for the tax debts of a partnership.

I tried explaining to the RA that federal tax law did not alter property laws in the state, and that an LLC is an entity created under state law, not under the Tax Code.

The above information is based on what I've seen and been told by CPAs. I could be wrong in my understanding of it, but I'm fairly certain that I'm not.
I believe there are a few wrinkles that change the above facts, but that is basically correct. However, it is my understanding that only trust fund taxes can be levied against both the business assets and the personal assets. Also, there are state tax law rules pertaining to sales and use tax which allow the state to look through the corporate entity to get to the personal assets of the members. At the federal level, I think the only way to get both personal and business assets is to fail to pay the trust fund taxes (fica, etc.). But on the state level I know that the corporate shield won't be too much protection if the company fails to pay sales, use, and trust fund taxes.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

The case is a good reason why con artists (Mr. Van Pelt comes to mind immediately) are wrong about their silly claims that they can get rid of federal tax liens - it just doesn't happen.
Investor wrote:Back when I was in private law practice, I once had a case in which the IRS placed a lien on a client's personal residence based on a tax obligation of an LLC in which the client had an ownership interest
How did the IRS place the lien on the residence? It can't procedurally or legally happen since standard notice of federal tax liens do not specify what the the lien attaches to. The only way the lien would have attached is if the IRS had recorded a nominee lien naming your client as a nominee of the LLC.

You are correct that federal law can't interfere with the state's right to make property law - and the IRS has been wrestling with the issues that LLC's/LLP's create in regards to liability and ownership. This has been slowly evolving over time, so it is very possible that the revenue officer (not RA as you stated; revenue agents have no authority to record notices of lien) messed up and either thought that your client was a single member or otherwise could treat him as a general partner.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Investor

Post by Investor »

The Observer wrote:The case is a good reason why con artists (Mr. Van Pelt comes to mind immediately) are wrong about their silly claims that they can get rid of federal tax liens - it just doesn't happen.
Investor wrote:Back when I was in private law practice, I once had a case in which the IRS placed a lien on a client's personal residence based on a tax obligation of an LLC in which the client had an ownership interest
How did the IRS place the lien on the residence? It can't procedurally or legally happen since standard notice of federal tax liens do not specify what the the lien attaches to. The only way the lien would have attached is if the IRS had recorded a nominee lien naming your client as a nominee of the LLC.

You are correct that federal law can't interfere with the state's right to make property law - and the IRS has been wrestling with the issues that LLC's/LLP's create in regards to liability and ownership. This has been slowly evolving over time, so it is very possible that the revenue officer (not RA as you stated; revenue agents have no authority to record notices of lien) messed up and either thought that your client was a single member or otherwise could treat him as a general partner.
OK, I said I was departing, but there are some interesting things going on here (sorry for the hijack, Dan).

The notice of tax lien was filed in the county in which the residence was located, against the individual, not the entity. This filing showed up on a title search of the property, as it was indexed against the client's name in that county. It made a sale or refinancing of the home impossible.

And yes, I meant to type "RO", not "RA" above, it was an RO in collections (obviously). Since there have been so many posts relating to this, I'll elaborate a little.

The taxes at issue were payroll withholdings of the LLC. The Service attempted to assess against the client under the provisions of IRC 6672 (the Trust Fund Penalty). However, the assessment was time barred. The RO was a bit frustrated, as the LLC was defunct and there was no sign of fraudulent transfers for which to give him a reason to come after the member. He dreamed up this crazy theory (actually, he told me he was instructed by his superiors that this was a valid technique) and filed the lien against the member based solely on the assessment against the LLC. Note, even if the client was a single member (which he was not), the applicable state law says that he is still not liable for the debts of the entity (again, I will refrain from expounding on the Albright case).
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

For purposes of the above discussion, I think we need to clearly distinguish between Federal income taxes and all other Federal taxes.

For an LLC that has elected to be treated as a partnership for Federal income tax purposes, the Federal income tax liability applicable to each member's share of the income of the LLC is not a "debt of the LLC." The Federal income tax is a debt of the member. In this case, the state law rule -- limiting liability with respect to debts of the LLC -- simply does not apply in my view. In this case, the statutory assessment applies to a tax owed by the member, not by the LLC. The Federal tax lien that arises after failure to pay the tax demanded in the post-assessment "notice and demand" (the tax lien that is effective retroactively to the time of the assessment) applies to all property and rights to property of the member, not to the property of the LLC. State law rules regarding the limited liability of LLC members do not come into play here.

In the case of Federal payroll taxes and all other Federal taxes for an LLC, the tax is indeed a debt of the LLC (not of the member, except see below), and state law rules would indeed apply here. The tax would be assessed against the LLC, not against the member, and the tax lien would cover property of the LLC, not property of the member.

Exception: Of course, the section 6672 liability of a responsible person (whether he or she happens to be a "member" of the LLC or just some employee, etc.) for withholding taxes is a separate issue. If the IRS goes after a responsible person for withholding taxes, I would assume a separate assessment would be made, and a Federal tax lien could indeed apply to the property of the member. This does not implicate or violate state property laws, as the liability here is in some sense a separate liability and is imposed under Federal law (with the proviso that although the IRS can go against the LLC or the responsible person or both, the IRS can ultimately collect the witholding tax only once -- no double recovery).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC

Post by LPC »

Investor wrote:I am talking about the Craft tenancy by the entireties case out of Michigan, and similar abominations of State v. Federal power.
I am not sure that Craft was wrong in theory, although I think that in practice the enforcement of the lien is difficult.

Craft (for those who might not know), involved the issue of whether a federal tax lien could attach to a spouse's interest in property held as tenants by the entireties if state law did not allow a creditor to attach the spouse's interest.

I don't have a problem with the federal government not being bound by state laws on creditor rights, but what is bothersome is the idea that the federal government, merely by having a lien on the spouse's interest, might have rights superior to those of the spouse. In other words, if a spouse could not unilaterally sever the tenancy, then the federal government can't either.

As far as LLCs are concerned, there was an internal memorandum back in 2002 (ILM 200235023), in which a senior technician reviewer for the Internal Revenue Service concluded that:

1. The income and employment tax liabilities of a multi-member or single-member LLC that elects to be treated as a corporation are liabilities of the LLC.

2. The income tax liabilities of a multi-member LLC that elects to be treated as a partnership are liabilities of the members but the employment tax liabilities are liabilities of the LLC itself.

3. The income tax and employment tax liabilities of a single-member LLC that elects to be treated as a sole proprietorship are liabilities of the member, and not the LLC. However, the IRS may look to the LLC as an asset of the member in any tax collection action.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Investor

Post by Investor »

3. The income tax and employment tax liabilities of a single-member LLC that elects to be treated as a sole proprietorship are liabilities of the member, and not the LLC. However, the IRS may look to the LLC as an asset of the member in any tax collection action.
That is exactly the type of thing I take exception with. I would hope a court would correct this memorandum if need be, but if the state law says creditors may not look through the single member LLC, then I don't know why the IRS should be allowed to do so.

I keep dodging Albright, but even the Albright decision does not get you to this result. In Albright, it was the single member, not the LLC, filing for Bankruptcy. In that case, the Court ruled that the member was in complete control of making distributions of LLC property, and therefore could be compelled to do so by the Bankruptcy Estate. This does not mean that if the LLC were the debtor, that the creditors could look to the member to satisfy the debts of the entity.

EDIT CAVEAT: I have not been following the world of asset protection as close as I once did. If there is a decision which is the reverse of Albright (w/ the LLC as the debtor) please let me know; I'd like to know what the courts have to say about this type of thing.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

That is exactly the type of thing I take exception with. I would hope a court would correct this memorandum if need be, but if the state law says creditors may not look through the single member LLC, then I don't know why the IRS should be allowed to do so.
But the IRS is not looking through the LLC. The single member, in electing to treat the LLC as a disregarded entity, eliminated the LLC from consideration. The member does not owe the liability as a flow through from the LLC. There is no LLC for federal tax purposes. The mystery is how the IRS arrived at a different conclusion for multi-member LLCs. (I haven't read ILM 200235023, but I suspect slight of hand was involved.)
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Investor

Post by Investor »

But the IRS is not looking through the LLC. The single member, in electing to treat the LLC as a disregarded entity, eliminated the LLC from consideration. The member does not owe the liability as a flow through from the LLC. There is no LLC for federal tax purposes. The mystery is how the IRS arrived at a different conclusion for multi-member LLCs. (I haven't read ILM 200235023, but I suspect slight of hand was involved.)
The single member is electing to have the entity disregarded for purposes of calculating his items of income, etc. He is not electing to have the legal existence of the entity disregarded. One is a tax issue, the other is a state law issue. Does the vendor down the road have the ability to pierce the LLC veil and come after the member just because of a federal income tax election? No, he cannot, just as the IRS should not be able to. Now, I agree that the income taxes, which are reported on the member's 1040 are his personal liability, but other taxes? I don't buy it (other than the application of TFRP, where the proper assessment procedures are followed).
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

The single member is electing to have the entity disregarded for purposes of calculating his items of income, etc. He is not electing to have the legal existence of the entity disregarded.
Unfortunately, under 26 CFR 301.7701-3, that is exactly what he's electing, to have the LLC disregarded for federal tax purposes. 99% of them probably have no idea that their election, or rather lack of an election to be treated as a corporation, makes them personally liable for the company's taxes.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
LPC

Post by LPC »

Investor wrote:The single member is electing to have the entity disregarded for purposes of calculating his items of income, etc.
Right. And once the income of the LLC becomes *his* income, then he is personally liable for the taxes on that income.

And, by agreeing that the LLC should be treated as a sole proprietorship, the sole member also becomes personally liable for employment taxes.

It's not a question of creditor rights, but a question of who is liable under the tax laws. If the tax laws make the individual liable, then the issue of creditor rights become irrelevant.

Incidentally, the IRS has taken a similar position with respect to grantor trusts, and that position is now being exploited by estate planners. The grantor creates a trust for children or other relatives, retaining a power that makes the grantor the "owner" of the trust for federal income tax purposes, even though there is a completed gift for federal gift tax purposes, and the trust property is no longer part of the gross estate for federal estate tax purposes. The IRS has ruled that, because the income is the grantors, the grantor is required to pay the taxes on the income earned by the trust, and the payment of the taxes on the income earned by the trust is *not* considered a gift to the trust. In effect, the grantor pays the income taxes of other family members without making a gift to them.
Dan Evans