Snipes verdict in!!!

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Investor

Snipes verdict in!!!

Post by Investor »

Haha, I got you.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: Snipes verdict in!!!

Post by Imalawman »

Investor wrote:Haha, I got you.
I hate you. :evil:
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

In all seriousness, I am betting it comes in very soon. Jurors who have been deliberating for a few days want to go home for the weekend. Friday late-afternoon verdicts are very common.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Agent Observer

Post by Agent Observer »

It really is in...

http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=7809913

Verdict reached in tax fraud trial of actor Wesley Snipes Associated Press - February 1, 2008 3:54 PM ET

OCALA, Fla. (AP) - The jury in the tax fraud trial of action star Wesley Snipes has reached a verdict.

It will be read later today from the Ocala federal courtroom.

Snipes and two co-defendants were indicted in 2006 for tax fraud and conspiracy. Snipes faced six additional counts of willful failure to file a tax return from 1999 to 2004, a period in which he signed two contracts for more than $10 million on sequels in the "Blade" trilogy.

The star of the "Blade" films and "White Men Can't Jump" is among the most famous targets of an IRS criminal investigation, and his prosecution was key for the government. The actor used tax protest arguments long rejected by courts but still continuing to find adherents.

For example, Snipes said the IRS's own code meant no citizen had to pay taxes on income earned in this country, and the agency had no legal authority to collect wages anyway, because it is not a proper government entity.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Snipes verdict in!!!

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Investor wrote:Haha, I got you.
Bad Investor. Bad. You are hereby fined $5 Quatloos. See the clerk.

:lol:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Oops....
Agent Observer

Post by Agent Observer »

Oops....
Heh.. ADL watchdog list email message. Didn't read all the way to the bottom :shock:
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Kahn and Rosile didn't fare as well. :D
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Here's a longer, but muddled, report:

http://www.wesh.com/news/15192473/detail.html
OCALA, Fla. -- An Ocala jury has reached a verdict in the tax evasion trial of Wesley Snipes.

Snipes was found not guilty of the serious charges of tax fraud, aiding and abetting in a tax scheme and failing to file a tax refund for three years between 1999-2004.

He received a guilty charge for failing to file an income tax return for three years between 1999-2004.

Snipes' two co-defendants were found guilty and were taken into custody.

Deliberations took two full days for the jury of five men and seven women.

On Thursday, the surety agency responsible for Snipes' $1 million bail asked to pull out after a verdict is returned, saying the actor is a flight risk.

Snipes and two co-defendants are accused of fraud and conspiracy. The government said the three conspired to illegally ask for millions of dollars in refunds of taxes they had already paid.

In addition, Snipes is charged with failing to file federal returns for several years.

If convicted, Snipes could face up to 16 years.
I didn't know failure to file a tax refund was a criminal offense.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Investor

Post by Investor »

So that is confirmed? Snipes, guilty on 3 counts of willful failure to file, not-guilty on all other charges?

Kahn/Rosile guilty of conspiracy?
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Investor wrote:So that is confirmed? Snipes, guilty on 3 counts of willful failure to file, not-guilty on all other charges?

Kahn/Rosile guilty of conspiracy?
It's confirmed.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Dr. Caligari wrote:In all seriousness, I am betting it comes in very soon. Jurors who have been deliberating for a few days want to go home for the weekend. Friday late-afternoon verdicts are very common.
I was thinking the same thing, but thought that they would come back right after lunch to get a good head-start on the weekend traffic but still benefit from free food on Uncle Sam.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -