Snipes Acquitted!!!!

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Bud Dickman

Snipes Acquitted!!!!

Post by Bud Dickman »

AP News Alert

7 minutes ago

OCALA, Fla. (AP) — A jury has acquitted action star Wesley Snipes of federal tax-fraud and conspiracy charges, but convicted him of failing to file tax returns.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

...and convicted!!
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

There's only one possible explanation for the result: Jesus never said anything about willful failure to file.
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

Dr. Caligari
..and convicted!!

of three misdemeanor tax charges.
Last edited by Bud Dickman on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Is this really a horrible result? I think it will show that you do in fact have to file a return and that taxes aren't voluntary while also not heavily penalizing someone who was conned into this crap. This also convicts the true culprits of this whole mess and for that I am glad. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age....but its not really anything less than I thought would happen.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
ga1150

Post by ga1150 »

Imalawman wrote:I think it will show that you do in fact have to file a return.
No more than a "willful failure to file" acquittal shows that you don't have to file a return.

Can't have it both ways...well, except of course in Quatloosia.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Imalawman wrote:Is this really a horrible result? I think it will show that you do in fact have to file a return and that taxes aren't voluntary while also not heavily penalizing someone who was conned into this crap. This also convicts the true culprits of this whole mess and for that I am glad. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age....but its not really anything less than I thought would happen.
Three counts of tax evasion. Well...okay.

I'm a little dissapointed that the jury bought the argument that Snipes was "just asking questions" (clearly, he wasn't). But, that's the jury's finding and I'll abide by it.

It wasn't a total acquital, not like Cryer.

I am glad that Kahn and Rosiles got the book thrown at them. Here's hoping they get thrown under the prison.

Cheers!
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Imalawman wrote:Is this really a horrible result? I think it will show that you do in fact have to file a return and that taxes aren't voluntary while also not heavily penalizing someone who was conned into this crap. This also convicts the true culprits of this whole mess and for that I am glad. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age....but its not really anything less than I thought would happen.
It's sounds like a good result to me.

Snipes might spend a few months in prison, but he'll be able to get on with his life, hopefully somewhat smarter.

But I'm disappointed that Kahn and Rosile are walking (or are they)?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

ga1150 wrote:
No more than a "willful failure to file" acquittal shows that you don't have to file a return.

Except, of course, the law states that people who make over certain amounts must file a return.

An acquittal doesn't mean there isn't a law, but in order to be convicted of breaking a law, there had to be a law to be broken.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Doktor Avalanche

LPC wrote:
It's sounds like a good result to me.

Snipes might spend a few months in prison, but he'll be able to get on with his life, hopefully somewhat smarter.

But I'm disappointed that Kahn and Rosile are walking (or are they)?
No, they're not. They got nailed on the conspiracy and fraud charges.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

Two co-defendants — Eddie Ray Kahn, a promoter of tax denial, and Douglas Rosile, a disbarred accountant — were convicted on separate felony counts.

“The verdict shows that promoters face serious jail time” but clients who follow their advice will face a lesser but still-serious risk, said JJ MacNab, a Maryland insurance analyst who attended the trial and is writing a book about tax deniers.

from NY Times
Last edited by Bud Dickman on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

From the Associated Press, by way of CNN:
Snipes acquitted of tax fraud, conspiracy

[1 Feb. 2008]

OCALA, Florida (AP) -- A jury in Florida has acquitted actor Wesley Snipes of federal tax-fraud and conspiracy charges, but convicted him of failing to file tax returns.

Snipes could now be sentenced to as much as three years in prison. He originally faced a possible 16 years.

Snipes and two co-defendants -- a former accountant and a tax protest leader -- were indicted in 2006. His co-defendants were convicted by the same jury of tax fraud and conspiracy.

The actor also faced six other charges for failing to file tax returns from 1999 to 2004.

The Internal Revenue Service alleges that Wesley Snipes, Eddie Ray Kahn and Douglas P. Rosile engaged them in a long fight insisting Snipes didn't owe any taxes.

Snipes' lawyers say the action star was a victim of bad financial advice, and truly believed he didn't have to pay the government anything. Watch Jami Floyd's take on the case »

Kahn is the alleged ringleader of a central Florida tax protest group called American Rights Litigators, then Guiding Light of God Ministries.

Kahn, a former CPA who lost licenses to practice in Florida and Ohio, allegedly drew up Snipes' fraudulent refund claims.

Prosecutors argue Snipes was trying to avoid increasing tax bills from his rising star power.
see

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/01/sni ... index.html
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

ga1150 wrote:

Ah, tax denier logic. "A implies B, therefore not-A must imply not-B." "All men are mortal, therefore all women are immortal."
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

That is about right, and follows our discussion in the earlier thread that the TPs -- as opposed to the promoters -- should get no or little jail time, but have to pay their back taxes, interest, penalties, fines, etc.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Doktor Avalanche

CaptainKickback wrote:In short, the jury said Snipes was stupid, a stooge and a total tool who should have known better than to not file tax returns, but Kahn and Rosile were lyin' theivin' farts who need to be whupped upside the head with a Gideon's Bible, repeatedly and hard.

And of course Snipes is still on the hook for a really big tax bill.

If I were to bet, I would bet Snipes gets the absolute minimum possible, while Kahn and Rosile will be at or near the maximum sentence time.

Snipes - Club Fed
Kahn & Rosile - BOP medium security in South Bumf*ck, Alabama
:lol:

I have the perfect Bible for the job. It was a gift from my mother on my first day of Catholic school.

This tome is garunteed to stop bullets and render friend, foe and tax protestor promoters unconscious alike.
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Post by AFTP »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/200 ... htm?csp=34

By Travis Reed, Associated Press
OCALA, Fla. — Action star Wesley Snipes was found not guilty of federal tax-fraud and conspiracy charges Friday, but was convicted on three misdemeanor counts of failing to file a tax return.

Snipes and two co-defendants, a delicensed accountant and a tax protest leader, were indicted in 2006. Snipes faced six additional counts of willful failure to file a tax return from 1999-2004, a period in which he signed two contracts for more than $10 million on sequels in the "Blade" trilogy. He was acquitted on three of those and convicted on the others. He could be sentenced to three years in prison after originally facing a possible 16 years.

Co-defendants Eddie Ray Kahn, the founder of a tax protest group, and Douglas P. Rosile, a delicensed accountant, were convicted by the same jury of tax fraud and conspiracy.

Snipes, who starred in the Blade films and White Men Can't Jump, is among the most famous targets of an IRS criminal investigation, and his prosecution was key for the government. The actor used tax protest arguments long rejected by courts but still continuing to find adherents.

For example, Snipes said the IRS's own code meant no citizen had to pay taxes on income earned in this country, and the agency had no legal authority to collect wages anyway, because it is not a proper government entity.
Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Post by AFTP »

Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Props to the jury for convicting Snipes on the "willful failure to file," acquitting on the conspiracy (which seemed a bit vague to me, since he really wasn't a promoter but pushed it as well), and nailing the other bastards to the wall.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
ga1150

Post by ga1150 »

"An acquittal doesn't mean there isn't a law, but in order to be convicted of breaking a law, there had to be a law to be broken."

How sophomoric. We've just recently in Georgia had someone cleared after 30 years or so by DNA evidence, and released.

They were convicted...so there 'had to be a law broken"? Are you sure that you want to be in print saying that?
Doktor Avalanche

ga1150 wrote:"An acquittal doesn't mean there isn't a law, but in order to be convicted of breaking a law, there had to be a law to be broken."

How sophomoric. We've just recently in Georgia had someone cleared after 30 years or so by DNA evidence, and released.

They were convicted...so there 'had to be a law broken"? Are you sure that you want to be in print saying that?
And what DNA test establishes that you don't have to pay taxes?