Judge denies Ed a free copy of his trial transcript

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Judge denies Ed a free copy of his trial transcript

Post by Demosthenes »

Judge denies Brown's request to vacate sentence
Associated Press - February 4, 2008 2:15 PM ET

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A tax evader who had spent months holed up in his fortress-like house before authorities took him into custody has been denied requests to set aside his sentence and to provide him free transcripts of his trial.

Ed Brown, and his wife, Elaine, were convicted last year of hiding $1.9 million in income between 1996 and 2003 to avoid paying the federal income tax, which they believe is not legitimate. They were arrested at their Plainfield home in October and are serving 5-year prison sentences.

U.S. District Judge Steven McAuliffe on Friday denied a motion filed by Ed Brown to set aside his sentence, saying an appeals court dismissed his case in October due to his "inexplicable failure to prosecute the appeal, thus rendering the judgment of conviction and sentence final."

In a letter to the court dated Jan. 24, Brown requested that the government pay for the trial transcripts, as he is poor and anticipates upcoming litigation. McAuliffe said Brown has no need of the transcripts, given that his conviction and sentence are final.
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Since Ed refused to attend his own trial and defend himself when he had the opportunity, he looks a little silly asking for a copy of the transcript at this point.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Ed should look on the bright side, though. Maybe the government won't prosecute him for all the stuff he did after his tax convictions, in which case he would theoretically be out of prison some day. In that case, cheer up, Ed - only 1,546 days to go!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Famspear wrote:Since Ed refused to attend his own trial and defend himself when he had the opportunity, he looks a little silly asking for a copy of the transcript at this point.
Ed also had an opportunity to appeal, and didn't. The judge is right. It's over and done for. One reason I see him needing it for is that he's preparing for another battle with the government (over the bombs and such) and wants to use the transcript to prove his imaginary kangaroo court theory so he can justify his threats of violence. Or he wants make little paper dolls that resemble Randy Weaver so he'll have someone to talk to during those long solitary nights. It must be so very difficult not having an audience to roll around in peanut butter and jelly with.

In any event, he should stop refusing money and just buy the transcripts himself if he wants it so bad. It's bad enough that the taxpayers are footing the bill for his solitary retirement, but we also shouldn't have to pay for his whimsical stupidity.

Can we send him some construction paper and fat crayons instead? Hrmm....maybe the prison doesn't want to clean up after that. Maybe just the special markers that can only write on special paper. Then, he can claim its an Illuminati trick and that we're trying to control his thoughts by preventing him from expressing himself all over the walls. Although, he can always do that with a full bladder.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Funny how Ed's tune has changed. When he was in Plainfield and not in custody, he continuously said that the courts were a "fiction" and "didn't exist" to him.

Now, he wants to participate in the "non-existent" courts? How's that "non-existent" prison working out, Ed?
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Ed thinks that under federal court rules that he has one year to appeal his case from the date of sentencing. He's wrong.
Demo.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Dezcad wrote:Funny how Ed's tune has changed. When he was in Plainfield and not in custody, he continuously said that the courts were a "fiction" and "didn't exist" to him.

Now, he wants to participate in the "non-existent" courts? How's that "non-existent" prison working out, Ed?
He's not alone; many of his ilk who profess the courts and laws are largely fictional suddenly develop an inate ability to milk those same fictions for all their worth.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Judge denies Ed a free copy of his trial transcript

Post by LPC »

McAuliffe said Brown has no need of the transcripts, given that his conviction and sentence are final.
Details, details.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Ain’t reality a bore!!!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Dezcad wrote:Funny how Ed's tune has changed. When he was in Plainfield and not in custody, he continuously said that the courts were a "fiction" and "didn't exist" to him.

If I had been Judge McAuliffe, I would have pointed out to Ed that since my court was non-existent, it follows that any such transcripts could not exist and his request was moot.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Wow-- Turns out my Van Meter has ringtones! It plays "I'm Mister Blue" whenever it registers above 10 :)
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

grixit wrote:Wow-- Turns out my Van Meter has ringtones! It plays "I'm Mister Blue" whenever it registers above 10 :)
Your Van Meter has ringtones?!? Mine doesn't have ringtones!

All mine does is recite tax protestor gibberish backwards.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:All mine does is recite tax protestor gibberish backwards.
Does the tax protester get all their money back?
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

The Observer wrote:

If I had been Judge McAuliffe, I would have pointed out to Ed that since my court was non-existent, it follows that any such transcripts could not exist and his request was moot.
If I were Jg. McAuliffe, I would have sent him official notice of US in personam Jurisdiction since he petitioned the court he entered into a contract with the US and thereby validated his sentences. He would have also received an official notice that he is now a 14th amendment citizen and a taxpayer.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Imalawman wrote:
The Observer wrote:

If I were Jg. McAuliffe, I would have sent him official notice of US in personam Jurisdiction since he petitioned the court he entered into a contract with the US and thereby validated his sentences. He would have also received an official notice that he is now a 14th amendment citizen and a taxpayer.
That is only because you come from the "mean wing" of the Illuminati.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

The Observer wrote:
Imalawman wrote:
The Observer wrote: If I had been Judge McAuliffe, I would have pointed out to Ed that since my court was non-existent, it follows that any such transcripts could not exist and his request was moot.
That is only because you come from the "mean wing" of the Illuminati.
True, but have you forgotten your "mean wing" days? Before they (webhick) expelled you from the "mean wing", you did some pretty bad stuff. There's a combine not to far from where I live that can tell some horrific stories about the "observer days".
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I was only following orders. And Webhick was coveting my parking spot, so she had motivation to start spreading lies about me. Besides, I got an award for the combine conversion.

webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

The Observer wrote:I was only following orders. And Webhick was coveting my parking spot, so she had motivation to start spreading lies about me. Besides, I got an award for the combine conversion.
I think you corrupted my new stapler, too. Little bastard shot me bad with a double-staple three weeks ago. I had to borrow a pair of pliers from the mechanic across the way to remove it from the meaty part of my hand. On a lighter note, when I pulled the staple out, it made one of the mechanics physically ill. Wimp.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The prison system is requiring Ed to take his GED exam.
Demo.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Are they confident that Ed can pass a GED exam? I mean, how does that work? Should Ed be required to take some courses first?

Like, maybe a basic government or civics course, for starters.