Guess Snipe's Sentence

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.

How long will Snipes serve in jail?

1 day to 6 months
14%
6 months to 1 year
17%
1 year to 18 months
17%
18 months to 2 years
17%
2 years to 30 months
3%
30 months to 3 years
7%
Zero
24%

Total votes: 29

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

FWIW, this verdict seems to me perfectly reasonable. While I doubt that label "victim" is accurately applied to Snipes, he shouldn't be treated as a promoter. The defense should be happy (although Snipes may not be when the doors lock behind him - see below), the govt is likely unhappy, and the jury obviously determined that he did live in MD Florida.

I also agree with LAprosecutor's Guideline calculation (assuming Criminal History Cat. 1), noting that there are a couple of enhancements which the govt might seek to apply (more than minimal planning, obstruction). It's academic, though, since the Guideline range is clearly above the three-year max already.

I have never appeared before Judge Hodges, and don't know his rep as a sentencer. Nonetheless, I see Snipes serving real time (i.e., not home confinement) given the Guideline. With somewhat less certainty, I doubt he'll get the max, even though that is the Guideline. My prediction: 18 months, served, as it should be, in a Club Fed. And man, will he owe taxes.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

That would be a long way to depart down to give the sort of sentences that some of you are predicting.
Yes, but we've gotten pretty good at this over the years. :wink:
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
LAprosecutor

Post by LAprosecutor »

wserra wrote:
I have never appeared before Judge Hodges, and don't know his rep as a sentencer. Nonetheless, I see Snipes serving real time (i.e., not home confinement) given the Guideline. With somewhat less certainty, I doubt he'll get the max, even though that is the Guideline. My prediction: 18 months, served, as it should be, in a Club Fed. And man, will he owe taxes.
I have appeared before Judge Hodges (on a civil tax injunction case), hence my prediction of close to 3 years.
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

My WAG will be for 24-30 months, based on a maximum sentence of 36 months.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

I just don't think he'll see hardly any time. Its not even an educated guess since I know very little about federal sentencing. More along the lines of a gut feeling. We'll see soon enough.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

It's just money and he's just one of the suckers.....no time....stern talking to, etc.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

33 months.
Demo.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

None of you accounted for the downward departure for celebrities (found in the Hollywood addendum to the guidelines) or the enhancement due to talking trash in People.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

If he is continuing to play games on the civil side before sentencing, that may have an impact as well.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

60 months.

36 suspended conditional on refiling and paying correct returns (plus penalties and interest) for the last 6 -8 (whatever) years plus continuing to be current with future returns and payments for the duration of the probation AND a strict avoidance of all defined frivolous evasions.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Dr. Caligari wrote:If he is continuing to play games on the civil side before sentencing, that may have an impact as well.
If Snipes doesn't come current -- or at least make a substantial stab at coming current -- before the sentencing then you can pretty much bank on the full 36 months.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

Zero jail time, but would forcing him take acting lessons be considered cruel and unusual punishment?
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

tommygun wrote:Zero jail time, but would forcing him take acting lessons be considered cruel and unusual punishment?
No. It'd be community service.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

webhick wrote:
tommygun wrote:Zero jail time, but would forcing him take acting lessons be considered cruel and unusual punishment?
No. It'd be community service.
:D :D :D
tracer
Order of the Llama - Senior Division

Post by tracer »

Say what you want about ol' Passenger 57, but you've gotta admit, he has a greater expressive range than Keanu Reeves.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

tracer wrote:he has a greater expressive range than Keanu Reeves.
So does my cat.
Demo.
Imalawman
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:
tracer wrote:he has a greater expressive range than Keanu Reeves.
So does my cat.
But can your cat say, "I know kung fu" with a straight face?
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Imalawman wrote:But can your cat say, "I know kung fu" with a straight face?
My cat can even wear a sombrero with a straight face, but since he's Siamese, the eyes may be a little crooked.

Demo.
Imalawman

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:
Imalawman wrote:But can your cat say, "I know kung fu" with a straight face?
My cat can even wear a sombrero with a straight face, but since he's Siamese, the eyes may be a little crooked.
Pretty cat, but somehow Siamese cats creep me out. Kind of like Keanu Reeves' and Wesley Snipes' acting ....
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Imalawman wrote:Siamese cats creep me out.
Hope you run fast, Imalawman. :twisted:
Demo.