More tax problems for Snipes

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

More tax problems for Snipes

Post by Demosthenes »

Town sells tax lien on actor's home
Thursday, February 7, 2008
BY KAREN SUDOL
STAFF WRITER

ALPINE -- Actor Wesley Snipes, the 45-year-old star of the "Blade" trilogy, has failed to pay nearly $70,000 in property taxes, interest and penalties on his Stone Tower Drive home, court documents show. As a result, a lien on the property was sold at a tax sale.

Snipes, who was recently cleared of federal tax fraud and conspiracy charges, didn't pay interest and penalties on his 2006 property taxes and all of 2007's property taxes for the 2-acre home owned by his company, Kymberlyte Production Services International Inc.

Robert Bernhoft, Snipes' lawyer in the federal case, did not return several phone calls.

Delinquent on the 2006 taxes, Kymberlyte paid $46,722 in October but ignored $17,969 owed in interest and penalties, said Irene Kateris, Alpine's tax collector.

The corporation also failed to pay $49,139 in 2007 property taxes, she said. The property is assessed at $8,055,600.

Two years to pay

The borough held a tax sale on Dec. 19 -- something towns periodically do to collect unpaid taxes.

The highest bidder, Crusader Lien Services of Jenkintown, Pa., in December paid the amount of owed back taxes and interest, said Kateris.

Nevada-based Kymberlyte has two years to pay the amount to redeem the lien. If it doesn't pay within that time frame, Crusader Lien Services can then proceed to foreclosure, said Kateris.

Snipes' connection to Kymberlyte and its purchase of the Alpine home came to light during his recent federal tax fraud trial in Florida, said Steve Cole, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, Middle District of Florida.

"As far as we know, he still owns it and it's still in business,'' Cole said Wednesday.

A Snipes ex-employee, Carmen C. Baker, also testified at the trial that the Stone Tower Drive home was bought in Kymberlyte's name in 2002 for $5.6 million, according to court transcripts.

"Were you given instructions by Mr. Snipes as to why this house was going to be purchased in the name of Kymberlyte, instead of his own personal name?'' an attorney asked Baker.

She answered, "He didn't want anyone to know that he was purchasing the house or that he lived in the home.''

A jury on Friday acquitted Snipes of fraud and conspiracy charges but convicted his two co-defendants of those charges. Snipes was found guilty of three misdemeanor counts of failing to file a tax return.

He faces up to three years in prison and is still liable for millions in taxes likely to be pursued in civil court.

The IRS alleged that Snipes, Eddie Ray Kahn, the founder of a known tax protest group, and delicensed accountant Douglas Rosile engaged it in a long fight insisting the actor didn't owe any taxes.

Snipes' lawyers said he was a victim of bad financial advice and believed he didn't have to pay the government anything.
Last edited by Demosthenes on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demo.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Is Kymberlyte the same corporation whose S election was either terminated or never became effective? If so, sounds like there may be a constructive dividend to Snipes in the form of rent-free housing.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Snipes has more state liens and funky UCC filings than I have ever seen before, by a factor of 10.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Can someone explain to me what this document is?
FLORIDA SECRETARY OF STATE, UCC RECORD

Debtors: WESLEY TRENT SNIPES

Debtor Address: WESLEY TRENT SNIPES
C/O 207 N.W. SECOND STREET
OCALA, FL 34475

Secured Parties: DANIEL R. MEACHAM & ASSOCIATES (BAILEE); HON. GARY ROBERT JONES (BAILEE), UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT; PAUL PEREZ (BAILEE), UNITED STATES ATTORNEY; SNIPES,WESLEY TRENT

Secured Party Address: DANIEL R. MEACHAM & ASSOCIATES (BAILEE)
1995 NORTH PARK PLACE-STE 250
ATLANTA, GA 30339

HON. GARY ROBERT JONES (BAILEE), UNITED STATES
DISTRICT COURT
207 N.W. SECOND STREET
OCALA, FL 34475

PAUL PEREZ (BAILEE), UNITED STATES ATTORNEY
300 HOGAN STREET, STE 700;ATTN: JAMES KLINDT
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32202

SNIPES,WESLEY TRENT
C/O 1995 NORTH PARK PLACE;SUITE 250
ATLANTA, GA 30339

Filing Type: INITIAL FILING

Filing Date: 12/4/2006

Filing Number: 200604280600

Filing Office: SECRETARY OF STATE/UCC DIVISION
STATE CAPITOL
TALLAHASSEE, FL 32314

Number of Pages: 003
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Obviously it is a UCC filing against Snipes, but there are 2 more pages to this document. I would hazard that Snipes had to put up property for his bail and this is how an interest in the property was secured.

What I don't understand is why government officials are listed on the document. Do bail agreements in federal court require that US officials have to be listed on the document as secure parties as well?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Without seeing the rest of the document, this is just another guess. It could also be one of those phony TP documents filed under their crazy theories of how UCC law works and how they can use it to remove liens, mortgages, trust deeds, convictions, warts, gray hair, etc.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

It's a bogus TP / Sovereign / Kahnite filing

From http://www.floridaucc.com/pls/ucc/retri ... 0604280600
The "Collateral" shall consist of all of the personal property of Debtor, as so enumerated in SECURITY AGREEMENT No. WTS-62654-SA between WESLEY TRENT SNIPES (DEBTOR) and Wesley-Trent: Snipes, US Treasury Bond Number D94291864, c/o trustees/bailees above listed and listed on attached UCCAP Line 25. The "Collateral" shall consist of ... {omitted} ...
Promissory notes ... Deposit Accounting ... Letter-of-credit rights ... Motion and proposed order for release of vessel
He's koolaid, all the way down.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

How interesting that he's using Meachum's name and office address.
Demo.
buck09
Quatloosian Baron of the Unknown Statute

Post by buck09 »

Demosthenes wrote:Snipes has more state liens and funky UCC filings than I have ever seen before, by a factor of 10.
That's because his gurus have likely milked him for all he's worth, like they do to even the poorest of their marks.

In terms of net worth, have any other TP's been close to him? I know a few are doctors, dentists and (formerly) sucessful airplane seat manufacturers, but high-profile actors are often in a league far above that...
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

What's interesting is that over the four or five year period that Snipes was Kahn's client, Kahn only charged his usual bare bones fees. When the billing statements were introduced into evidence, the totals were really low (hundreds, not thousands.)
Demo.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

The Observer wrote:... how they can use it to remove liens, mortgages, trust deeds, convictions, warts, gray hair, etc.
The paramount question is can they remove the gray hairs and replace the other ones already lost?
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

He went full-colon on us? Kool-Aid indeed!
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Looks like Snipes has defaulted on his California property taxes as well. If he doesn't pay it off in the next two years, the state will sell his home off at auction.
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Demo, can you give some more information? I'd like to update the Snipes article in Wikipedia. (The article already has the info about the property tax problem on the real estate in Alpine, New Jersey.)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I'll post details, my source for the info, and all that tomorrow.

The Wikipedia entry should also be updated to include Snipes two gun charges in Los Angeles in 1993, his high speed 30 mile chase in Florida in 1994 (while still on probation for the gun charge), the 2003 foreclosure in Florida (he didn't make his mortgage payments), and the 2005 near foreclosure in Florida (he didn't pay property taxes.)

You may want to consider editing the sentences about his ties to the Nuwaubian cult, considering the leader claimed Snipes was a member.

I'll provide links for all of the above info tomorrow.
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Merci!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Sorry for the delay. Let's start with the 1993 gun charge.
Los Angeles Times
October 1, 1993, Friday, Home Edition
SECTION: Calendar; Part F; Page 2; Column 1; Entertainment Desk
LENGTH: 877 words
HEADLINE: MORNING REPORT: LEGAL FILE
BYLINE: By SHAUNA SNOW

BODY:
Snipes Fined $1,000: Actor Wesley Snipes pleaded no contest on Thursday to carrying a loaded weapon and was fined $1,000 and placed on unsupervised probation for two years. Snipes, who did not attend the court hearing, was to have been arraigned on two misdemeanor weapons violations stemming from an Aug. 3 arrest in which officers found a loaded pistol in Snipes' possession after he was involved in a minor motorcycle accident. The second charge was dropped in a plea agreement.
This is from the LA Superior Court Criminal Case Index.

https://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/onlines ... /index.asp
01 12025(A)PC CARRY CONCELD FIREARM ON PRSON Dismissed or Not Prosecuted 09/30/1993
02 12031(A)PC CARRY LOADED FIREARM/PUBLIC PL Dismissed per 1203.4 P.C. 06/30/2000
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The high speed motorcycle chase in 1994 (while on probation for the CA gun charge.)
CRASH ENDS CHASE OF WESLEY SNIPES Palm Beach Post (Florida) April 6, 1994, Wednesday Correction Appended

SECTION: A SECTION, Pg. 1A
LENGTH: 918 words
HEADLINE: CRASH ENDS CHASE OF WESLEY SNIPES
BYLINE: JOE BROGAN; Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
DATELINE: JUPITER

BODY:
Action film star Wesley Snipes escaped serious injury Monday night after crashing his motorcycle at the end of a 120 mph chase involving a Florida Highway Patrol trooper and helicopters from two counties.

His cycle overturned about midnight after a 30-mile pursuit from north of Port St. Lucie, FHP troopers said.

Snipes was thrown onto a grassy area as he sped around a sharp right curve exiting the southbound lanes of Florida's Turnpike at Indiantown Road. Trooper Steve Walker hit the motorcycle with his patrol car, investigators said.

Walker, who scraped his arm after his air bag inflated, drew his pistol and ordered Snipes to the ground, Lt. Jim Howell said.

''He said, 'Don't you want to know who I am?' '' Howell said. ''But the trooper said, 'I don't care who you are. Get on the ground.' ''

Following department procedure, Walker and trooper Gene Spaulding handcuffed Snipes until they determined that he wasn't dangerous, Howell said. Snipes later identified himself as an actor.

Snipes, 31, the star of such box-office hits as Rising Sun and Passenger 57, reportedly suffered scrapes but refused treatment by Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue paramedics, according to FHP reports.

He was charged with reckless driving, the FHP said.

The motorcycle sustained $ 10,000 damage and the patrol car $ 3,000, investigators said. Snipes and the motorcycle were taken to the Lake Worth turnpike plaza, where someone picked up Snipes, investigators said.

David Pollick, Snipes' publicist, denied the incident was a chase and said Snipes was exiting the turnpike to refuel his bike when he lost control.

The pursuit began about 3 miles north of Port St. Lucie about 11:45 p.m. when a motorcyclist going about 120 mph passed between Walker's marked patrol car and another motorist, Howell said. Walker radioed that he was in pursuit and asked for help, troopers said.

When they passed mile marker 136 between Port St. Lucie and Stuart, Snipes slowed down and threw a ''baseball-sized'' object to the side of the road, Walker reported.

Troopers and drug-sniffing dogs found 3 ounces of marijuana wrapped in tape at that site Tuesday morning. The marijuana was sent to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office crime lab for analysis.

The FHP is also asking prosecutors whether charges of fleeing from a police officer should be lodged, said FHP Lt. Terry Davis.

Snipes told investigators he was unaware the trooper was behind him, Davis said. But Walker had his lights and siren on and got close enough to Snipes to identify him as a black man, Davis said.

''There is little doubt in our mind that he was eluding the trooper,'' Howell said.

Before becoming involved in a chase, troopers must suspect a driver has been involved in a violent crime, Davis said. Troopers can try to make a traffic stop, but if the driver doesn't pull over, troopers must back off, according to department policy.

The Highway Patrol is investigating whether the chase was appropriate, Davis said.

The 1100cc Kawasaki Snipes was riding is a ''superbike'' capable of speeds up to 180 mph, a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle dealer said.

Helicopters from Palm Beach and Martin counties were called for surveillance, standard procedure in a chase, because the FHP didn't know at the time what it was involved with, Davis said.

''When we got there, (Snipes) was laid out on the ground,'' said Martin County Sheriff's Lt. Robert Pryor, who was following in his department's helicopter.

The helicopter was flying at 85 mph, and deputies could see Walker's blue lights and the motorcycle but couldn't catch them, Pryor said.

Snipes was not given a roadside sobriety test because troopers said he showed no signs of intoxication or drug use, Howell said.

Snipes has a valid Florida driver license but a suspended New York license, investigators said. The FHP is investigating whether Snipes improperly applied for a Florida license while his New York one was under suspension, Howell said.

Snipes was cited in 1989 in Maryland for traveling 65 mph in a 55 mph zone, in 1989 in California for driving too fast for conditions, and in February in Osceola County for going 90 mph in a 65 mph zone, Florida driver license records show.

Snipes was returning from a visit to his family in Orlando, Pollick said, and was on his way to Key Largo, where he is shooting Drop Zone, an action thriller about a police officer who infiltrates an outlaw band of exhibition sky divers to catch a killer.

Howell said there were no requests for autographs.

''Putting our trooper in danger wasn't something we were pleased about at all,'' he said.

PURSUING WESLEY SNIPES

Trooper Steve Walker, southbound 3 miles north of Port St. Lucie on Florida's Turnpike: 'A motorcycle went by me. He's running over 120. I'm trying to catch up to him.'

FHP Dispatcher to Martin County Sheriff's Office: 'We need some of your deputies at the Stuart entrance to the turnpike. He's going 120, 130.'

Walker: 'He threw something out at the 136-Mile marker (in Martin County). It was about the size of a baseball.'

Martin County Sheriff's Office Dispatcher: 'The chopper (helicopter) has the motorcycle in sight.'

FHP Dispatcher: 'The Eagle (Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office helicopter) is scrambling.'

Walker: 'He just exited at Jupiter. Signal 4 (crash).' Source: Excerpts from taped radio transmissions by Florida Highway Patrol = Staff writers Jill Taylor and Chanda Peterkin contributed to this report.

CORRECTION:
UNPUBLISHED CORRECTION: Troopers began chasing Wesley Snipes at 9:45 p.m., not 11:45 p.m.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The results from the chase case.
ACTOR GETS COMMUNITY SERVICE FOR CHASE Palm Beach Post (Florida) August 4, 1994, THURSDAY,
SECTION: A SECTION, Pg. 1A
LENGTH: 272 words
HEADLINE: ACTOR GETS COMMUNITY SERVICE FOR CHASE
BYLINE: SUSANNAH A. NESMITH; Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
DATELINE: FORT PIERCE

BODY:
Action film star Wesley Snipes was in the St. Lucie County Courthouse Wednesday afternoon playing the part of a murder witness.

But there were no movie cameras, and he wasn't getting the $ 6,500 an hour he's drawing for his current films. In fact, Snipes was paying for a stunt he pulled on Florida's Turnpike in April.

Snipes, 32, was ticketed in Jupiter after he led Florida Highway Patrol troopers on a chase in St. Lucie, Martin and Palm Beach counties. He drove 30 miles in 14 minutes on his Kawasaki motorcycle before crashing.

Snipes pleaded guilty Wednesday morning to reckless driving and was sentenced to perform 80 hours of community service.

Judge Tom Walsh waived any driving school requirement and allowed him to complete most of his community service in New York where he will be shooting a movie.

''Anybody that can drive as fast as you I'm not sure needs defensive driving school,'' Walsh told Snipes.

Snipes began his sentence right after his court hearing, giving an AIDS awareness presentation at Indian River Community College. Later, Snipes, who has been earning $ 7 million per movie, performed in two mock trials put on by students in a Child Care Resource and Referral summer program.

''I think they wanted to try to use Snipes to get the kids excited about participating in the program, instead of having him pick up garbage, where his celebrity status would be wasted,'' said assistant public defender Jeff Carbia.

Snipes also will have to pay about $ 7,150 in costs and fines - a little more than a hour's work on the set.

Staff writer Teresa Lane contributed to this report.
SNIPES' DEBT TO SOCIETY STILL UNPAID AFTER MOTORCYCLE RIDE ON I-95 Palm Beach Post (Florida) January 24, 1995, Tuesday,
SECTION: LOCAL, Pg. 1B
LENGTH: 528 words
HEADLINE: SNIPES' DEBT TO SOCIETY STILL UNPAID AFTER MOTORCYCLE RIDE ON I-95
BYLINE: GLENN HENDERSON

BODY:
Wesley Snipes, whose acting roles have brought him fame and a fairly sizable fortune, won't win any Oscars, Golden Globes or even a howdy-do from some folks in St. Lucie County.

Take Assistant Public Defender Azim Ramelize:

''He reneged on his promise to help me. . . . He promised it, and he didn't do it.''

And this from Sylvie Kramer, executive director of the Healthy Start Coalition of St. Lucie County:

''I'm disappointed. He didn't have to agree to give the money. Nobody twisted his arm.''

The references to money and promises have to do with a contribution they've been expecting as part of Snipes' court settlement of charges filed after his motorcycle ride down the turnpike last year.

Snipes, who has played action roles in movies such as Drop Zone, Demolition Man, Rising Sun and New Jack City, brought a little of that high-speed drama to our area April 4 when he led a Florida Highway Patrol trooper on a 30-mile chase starting in St. Lucie County and ending when Snipes spun out at the Indiantown Road exit.

The actor wasn't seriously injured, but his public image may have suffered a bit.

In August, Snipes pleaded no contest to the reckless driving charge in St. Lucie County Court. He was sentenced to perform 80 hours of community service and pay more than $ 7,000 in fines and court costs. After court, he immediately began chopping his service hours by speaking to teenagers about the value of hard work and education.

He also participated in two mock trials.

''I arranged all that stuff for him,'' said a clearly agitated Ramelize. And part of the agreement, he said, called for Snipes to contribute money to Healthy Start, a nonprofit organization that targets teenage pregnancy.

''If even he had given $ 1, it would have been OK,'' Ramelize said. ''If you give your word, you should keep it.''

How much money Snipes was supposed to pay isn't clear. Kramer said she was expecting a substantial sum.

The money would go toward the Alpha program, Kramer said, which educates teenage males about the responsibilities of fathering children. She said the money would allow Healthy Start to spend less of its time raising money and more time working to reduce teenage pregnancy.

''For a while we were waiting for the check. But it never came.''

Well, maybe there's still hope.

Snipes' Miami attorney, Edward Shohat, told me he hopes to have the matter resolved soon.

''We're looking into the matter,'' he said Monday. ''I'm sure Wesley will live up to his agreement.''

Kramer remains optimistic.

''I still want to believe it's coming. Maybe the mail is slow.''

Yeah, maybe that's it. Maybe Snipes used one of those outdated 29-cent stamps, and the envelope was rejected by some postal service machine.

But I think it's much more likely Snipes simply lost track of his obligations in the process of making $ 7 million per movie. And he's been awfully busy putting in appearances at Planet Hollywood openings too.

So I'm not giving up. Snipes strikes me as a decent fella, despite his propensity for zipping down highways just ahead of blaring sirens and flashing blue lights.

Any day now, Wesley.
Demo.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Damn lucky he wiped out on grass and not concrete. But 7000 won't pay for the cost to the police. And note he's already gotten the star treatment in that he wasd allowed to do his community service in another state, plus there was no followup on his driving status.

So yeah, Snipes is clearly a scofflaw, who's using tp rationalization to do what he's always done.

This should be treated the way you treat someone with a history of smash and grab who just moved up to armed robbery, he's had his warnings.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4