Snipes Acquitted!!!!

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

And who knew that Ocala, FL is the north american headquarters of the KKK?
Demo.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Demosthenes wrote:And who knew that Ocala, FL is the north american headquarters of the KKK?
They disguise themselves. Floral shirts instead of robes, sandals instead of boots, lotion smears on noses instead of hoods, convertables instead of pickups-- they've achieved perfect camouflage.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Demosthenes wrote:And who knew that Ocala, FL is the north american headquarters of the KKK?
Myself and people I know did not know that and I live in Ocala.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

And yet he was acquitted of three felonies. Was the KKK asleep during the whole trial?
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The Southern Poverty Law Center claims that Ocala has a "Klan Store" in town. When I looked it up, the only address is for a PO Box in Ocala that turned out not to have nothing to do with the Klan.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

grixit wrote:
They disguise themselves. Floral shirts instead of robes, sandals instead of boots, lotion smears on noses instead of hoods, convertables instead of pickups-- they've achieved perfect camouflage.
and instead of crosses on the lawn, they burn steaks on the patio.

sneaky little devils
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Nikki wrote:
grixit wrote:
and instead of crosses on the lawn, they burn steaks on the patio.

sneaky little devils
Did someone say steak?

The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Demosthenes wrote:The Southern Poverty Law Center claims that Ocala has a "Klan Store" in town. When I looked it up, the only address is for a PO Box in Ocala that turned out not to have nothing to do with the Klan.
I lived for a spell in Columbia, SC some years ago. Traveling west from there you'll encounter Red Bank, SC. It was not uncommon to see a pickup truck in Red Bank with a rifle and white hood adorning the gun rack. Of course, this didn't come as a surprise in a state where they flew the Confederate Flag from the State Capital. It was rather disconcerting to a person in a "fern" car with out-of-state non-South license plates and I gave a wide swath to the small-town rural areas. This is not to say that all South Carolinians are racist; just that there is still overt racism in many parts of the South.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:The Southern Poverty Law Center claims that Ocala has a "Klan Store" in town. When I looked it up, the only address is for a PO Box in Ocala that turned out not to have nothing to do with the Klan.
I lived for a spell in Columbia, SC some years ago. Traveling west from there you'll encounter Red Bank, SC. It was not uncommon to see a pickup truck in Red Bank with a rifle and white hood adorning the gun rack. Of course, this didn't come as a surprise in a state where they flew the Confederate Flag from the State Capital. It was rather disconcerting to a person in a "fern" car with out-of-state non-South license plates and I gave a wide swath to the small-town rural areas. This is not to say that all South Carolinians are racist; just that there is still overt racism in many parts of the South.
Especially South Boston.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Nikki wrote:
Especially South Boston.
Please - when was the last time you were in Southie?
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Dezcad wrote: Please - when was the last time you were in Southie?
About 15 years ago.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Nikki wrote:

Especially South Boston.
Wow, I didn't know that. You bring up an important point though; racism certainly is not limited to the South.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Nikki wrote:
Especially South Boston.
There is the south Boston in southern VA. Yes, there is racism there - for sure.

Actually, I was a southern transplant in the north midwest some 5-6 years ago now. I have heard the most racist things up here compared to down south. People freely toss the "n" word around in jokes, older people use the term with ease to describe blacks. While in the south, the "N" word is very much avoided in most circles. One, using it in the wrong place can get you killed, two, its just considered one of the worst words to use. But here, where there are little minorities, there seems to be a lot less sensitivity to what is racist.

What I say is this - In the midwest you have blatant, ignorant or unintentional racism, in the south you have a more deep seaded, quiet racism that is very intentional.

But I find that people who live in homogeneous areas throwing stones at the south's race relations to be hypocrites. Try living with more than 5-6% diversity and then see what your race relations are like. Until then, shut up and focus on your own racism. Ok, rant over. I just get tired of the south being labeled as racist.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Imalawman wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote: I lived for a spell in Columbia, SC some years ago. Traveling west from there you'll encounter Red Bank, SC. It was not uncommon to see a pickup truck in Red Bank with a rifle and white hood adorning the gun rack. Of course, this didn't come as a surprise in a state where they flew the Confederate Flag from the State Capital. It was rather disconcerting to a person in a "fern" car with out-of-state non-South license plates and I gave a wide swath to the small-town rural areas. This is not to say that all South Carolinians are racist; just that there is still overt racism in many parts of the South.
Especially South Boston.
There is the south Boston in southern VA. Yes, there is racism there - for sure.

Actually, I was a southern transplant in the north midwest some 5-6 years ago now. I have heard the most racist things up here compared to down south. People freely toss the "n" word around in jokes, older people use the term with ease to describe blacks. While in the south, the "N" word is very much avoided in most circles. One, using it in the wrong place can get you killed, two, its just considered one of the worst words to use. But here, where there are little minorities, there seems to be a lot less sensitivity to what is racist.

What I say is this - In the midwest you have blatant, ignorant or unintentional racism, in the south you have a more deep seaded, quiet racism that is very intentional.

But I find that people who live in homogeneous areas throwing stones at the south's race relations to be hypocrites. Try living with more than 5-6% diversity and then see what your race relations are like. Until then, shut up and focus on your own racism. Ok, rant over. I just get tired of the south being labeled as racist.
I second the Motion made by IMALAWMAN. As a product of rural SC, I agree that there is much racism left in that part of the world, although not nearly as much as when I was a boy in the '50's. The rural county that I grew up in was quite prosperous, by place and time, and had about "0" Klan activity, by the way. The only Klan rally I recall, which took place in the months after Dr. King was murdered, had more police presence (actually there to prevent/avoid violence, not attending) than there were Klansmen (I passed by on my way to the Beach Club with my oldest ex-girlfriend; I wasn't in attendance, either).

To emphasize, however, the absence of an active Klan did not mean that racists attitudes were not very prevalent. Folks were just more polite and really looked down on the very few low-life jerks who claimed to be in the Klan.
"My Health is Better in November."