Newbie at Sui learns it ain't easy being a TP

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Re: Newbie at Sui learns it ain't easy being a TP

Post by Cpt Banjo »

The utter stupidity of these people is amazing. Five will get you ten that some imbecile will reply with a sure-fire common law remedy in admiralty (coupled with UCC-1 filings) that is sure to bring the IRS stooge of an employer to its knees.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Common Law really sucks when you're on the wrong side of it.

Something about an "at-will employee" ??
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

On the bright side, the would be employer found out on day one that he had hired at idiot.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Quixote wrote:
On the bright side, the would be employer found out on day one that he had hired at idiot.
Bingo! That was my first thought. Lucky break for the employer to have caught this one early.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Oh, it gets better:
Since you are forced to submit a W-4 you'll have to write something on the form to that effect ("under duress") and plan a strategy for IRS issues. Good luck.
:angrybird:
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

What kind of recourse do I have if any?
Umm, learn that you are now
a) an idiot
and
b) unemployed
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

Along the same lines:
I sign an EXEMPT W-4 with the qualification of "Suborn Perjury".
Now that is just the weirdest damned thing I've ever seen. It's sort of like writing a check and adding "Save Sinners!" under your name.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Isn't an employer required to withhold the maximum amount if an employee won't fill out a W-4?
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:Isn't an employer required to withhold the maximum amount if an employee won't fill out a W-4?
Publication 15 (Circular E) on Page 15:
Ask all new employees to give you a signed Form W-4 when they start work. Make the form effective with the next wage payment. If a new employee does not give you a completed Form W-4, withhold income tax as if he or she is single, with no withholding allowances.
There's also an interesting bit about Substitute W-4s and Invalid W-4s (both on Page 17):
You cannot accept substitute Forms W-4 developed by employees. An employee who submits an exmployee-developed substitute Form W-4 after October 10, 2007, will be treated as failing to furnish a Form W-4. However, continue to honor any valid employee-developed Forms W-4 you accepted before October 11, 2007
Invalid Forms W-4. Any unauthorized change or addition to Form W-4 makes it invalid. This includes taking out any language by which the employee certifies that the form is correct. A Form W-4 is also invalid if, by the date an employee gives it to you, he or she indicates in any way that it is false. An employee who submits a false Form W-4 may be subject to a $500 penalty. You may treat a Form W-4 as invalid if the employee wrote "exempt" on line 7 and also entered a number on line 5 or an amount on line 6.
When you get an invalid Form W-4, do not use it to figure federal income tax withholding. Tell the employee that it is invalid and ask for another one. If the employee does not give you a valid one, withhold taxes as if the employee was single and claiming no withholding allowances. However, if you have an earlier Form W-4 for this worker that is valid, withhold as you did before.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

webhick wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:Isn't an employer required to withhold the maximum amount if an employee won't fill out a W-4?
Publication 15 (Circular E) on Page 15:
Ask all new employees to give you a signed Form W-4 when they start work. Make the form effective with the next wage payment. If a new employee does not give you a completed Form W-4, withhold income tax as if he or she is single, with no withholding allowances.
There's also an interesting bit about Substitute W-4s and Invalid W-4s (both on Page 17):
You cannot accept substitute Forms W-4 developed by employees. An employee who submits an exmployee-developed substitute Form W-4 after October 10, 2007, will be treated as failing to furnish a Form W-4. However, continue to honor any valid employee-developed Forms W-4 you accepted before October 11, 2007
Invalid Forms W-4. Any unauthorized change or addition to Form W-4 makes it invalid. This includes taking out any language by which the employee certifies that the form is correct. A Form W-4 is also invalid if, by the date an employee gives it to you, he or she indicates in any way that it is false. An employee who submits a false Form W-4 may be subject to a $500 penalty. You may treat a Form W-4 as invalid if the employee wrote "exempt" on line 7 and also entered a number on line 5 or an amount on line 6.
When you get an invalid Form W-4, do not use it to figure federal income tax withholding. Tell the employee that it is invalid and ask for another one. If the employee does not give you a valid one, withhold taxes as if the employee was single and claiming no withholding allowances. However, if you have an earlier Form W-4 for this worker that is valid, withhold as you did before.
Thanks for the details! Now if I can get QB to not show CAFETERIA under gross income :@#$:
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote: Thanks for the details! Now if I can get QB to not show CAFETERIA under gross income :@#$:
I have to head out shortly, so I'll answer this when I get back. What version of QB do you use, again?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

webhick wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote: Thanks for the details! Now if I can get QB to not show CAFETERIA under gross income :@#$:
I have to head out shortly, so I'll answer this when I get back. What version of QB do you use, again?
2008 Pro Manufacturing & Wholesale. If you know off the top of your head (which I don't doubt you do!), I would greatly appreciate the answer. Otherwise, I need to call our accountant on some other questions and can grill him about it!