Brown supporter trial (Continued)

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Brown supporter trial (Continued)

Post by Demosthenes »

I've posted an update for those following the trial:

http://www.redcrayons.net
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Brown supporter trial (Continued)

Post by LPC »

Demo has posted another update describing yesterday's testimony.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
ElfNinosMom

Post by ElfNinosMom »

I've been reading Demo's blog via RSS, thanks for posting updates from the trial. :D

I tried to access the site this morning, to leave a comment, but I keep getting a connection error.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

ElfNinosMom wrote:I've been reading Demo's blog via RSS, thanks for posting updates from the trial. :D

I tried to access the site this morning, to leave a comment, but I keep getting a connection error.
Same here.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Here too. But I read it last night. Some good stuff in there on Bob the Squirrel.

Accessing the IP results in the same error as the url (unlike last time, which displayed a misconfiguration error). A little paranoid voice in the back of my head is shouting "DOS Attack", but it's probably just a little too much traffic or something.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
webhick

Post by webhick »

Paranoid voice is paranoid. It looks like the server is back.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Today was *way* interesting.

The prison snitch turned out to be one of the smartest people I've ever seen. Think Hannibal Lector without a moral compass.
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:Today was *way* interesting.

The prison snitch turned out to be one of the smartest people I've ever seen. Think Hannibal Lector without a moral compass.
oooh, fun. I will wait with fava beans and glass of chianti for the post to come up tonight. I had forgotten about the prison snitch. One of the smartest people you've ever seen? seriously, or are you just using hyperbole?
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Imalawman wrote:One of the smartest people you've ever seen? seriously, or are you just using hyperbole?
The guy was absolutely fascinating. In a different world, he'd have been a brilliant lawyer.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Ah yeah, and Dogwalker Day (June 7) was indeed a failed plan to arrest Ed Brown. Ed had been coming down to the mailbox every morning on his ATV, so they set up a plan to arrest him on his next mail pick up.

Danny showed up walking the dog, and the rest is history.
Demo.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:Ah yeah, and Dogwalker Day (June 7) was indeed a failed plan to arrest Ed Brown. Ed had been coming down to the mailbox every morning on his ATV, so they set up a plan to arrest him on his next mail pick up.

An opportunistic plan: "We'll arrest him if he checks his mail but, there's no plan for invasion at this point."
LPC

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:Ah yeah, and Dogwalker Day (June 7) was indeed a failed plan to arrest Ed Brown. Ed had been coming down to the mailbox every morning on his ATV, so they set up a plan to arrest him on his next mail pick up.

Okay, *that* makes sense.

I had difficultly believing that the Marshals would mount a frontal assault on the Browns, as many Brown supporters had alleged, but also had difficulty believing that the Marshals were there just for surveillance, as they had originally claimed, because there seemed to be way too much hardware and personnel.

But a plan to ambush Ed while he was alone would fit the Marshal's desire to avoid bloodshed and the level of activity that day.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

But a plan to ambush Ed while he was alone would fit the Marshal's desire to avoid bloodshed and the level of activity that day.
And the arrest team that was put in place to arrest Ed Brown was armed with non lethal rounds.

My favorite question of the day came from Danny's lawyer as proof that Brown and his supporters weren't violent:
Wiberg: The dog was never sicced on the team, was it?
Marshal: On the arrest team? No.
Demo.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:My favorite question of the day came from Danny's lawyer as proof that Brown and his supporters weren't violent:
Wiberg: The dog was never sicced on the team, was it?
So the intent of the dog can be equated with the intent of the humans?
Dan Evans
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Elaine isn't going to testify. She apparently took the 5th and they sent her back to Connecticut already.

I think the defense is going to find that the patriot community is a tad flaky.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The new post is up for the evening.

http://www.redcrayons.net
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Posted by Reno's daddy.
Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Randomly selected....
Category: News and Politics

So here is yet another bridge to cross.

With our subpoenas in hand and travel itineraries at the ready, my son, Lee, logged onto the Internet to print up our ticket for New Hampshire.

His tickets printed out without a hitch but my tickets required special handling.
We called the toll-free number and were told that I had been "…randomly selected for additional security search."

Ok.
This will be my third flight in roughly as many years and the second "randomly selected" search.
My subpoena says nothing about my succumbing to a search and I will refuse being further humiliated at the airport.

I wonder what will result from my decision but I am making a stand for my own dignity.

U.S. Marshals should have made better arrangements.

I was looking forward to testifying the TRUTH to the jurors.
It is too late to call the lawyer’s office but I will email him tonight.

They should have sent me a train ticket.

STAND FOR FREEDOM

keep the faith

:{ jmg
Demo.
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

Demosthenes wrote:Posted by Reno's daddy.
This will be my third flight in roughly as many years and the second "randomly selected" search.
My subpoena says nothing about my succumbing to a search and I will refuse being further humiliated at the airport.

I wonder what will result from my decision but I am making a stand for my own dignity.

U.S. Marshals should have made better arrangements.

:{ jmg
Don't worry Jose. The US Marshals will make alternate arrangements. However, I suspect that you will get a more thorough search under that alternate arrangement. :roll:
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I'm starting to wonder if there will be *any* defense witnesses in this case. They all seem to be bailing.
Demo.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Bill Riley has some interesting spin on the defense witnesses taking the 5th Amendment:
Bill Riley wrote:Well, one thing that has been very special about this trial, in addition to the sudden imposition of ID checks at the court house door, has been the unusual amount of goings on in judges chambers outside of the public view.

Yesterday we were suppose to see Elaine Brown called to the stand but it looks like that is not going to happen. It seems that this judge doesn't want any witness to take the 5th on the stand in front of the jury so almost all of the defense witnesses that were on the Brown property are taking the 5th in chambers and not being allowed to testify. The prosecution is using this as a tool to effectively shutdown most of the defense witnesses (isn't that special?). Immunity anyone? (Not likely.)

So now we have a situation were the jury will not hear extremely relevant testimony because having a witness plead the 5th on the stand would make the defendants look innocent (and we just can't have that). Yet without their testimony this trial is beginning to look like a joke (but I will reserve judgement until all of this case has been presented to the jury).

God bless
I suspect that the situation is the opposite of what Riley is spinning, and that the defense doesn't want the jury to hear that their own witnesses plead the 5th Amendment, which would suggest to the jury that the witnesses themselves now think that they were part of something illegal. The problem is not that the pleading of the 5th Amendment by a witness would make the jury think that the defendants might be innocent, but that the jury might think that the defendants are guilty.

If a defense witness had "extremely relevant testimony" that the witness was willing to present without invoking the 5th Amendment, I'm sure that the defense lawyers could get that witness on the stand. However, my recollection is that a witness can't pick and choose which questions to answer and which to refuse to answer, so a witness must be willing to waive the 5th Amendment before taking the stand. None of the defense witnesses are willing to do that, so the defendants are on their own.

It's possible that the defense lawyers agree with Bill Riley, and would like for the jury to see defense witnesses invoke the 5th Amendment on the stand and refuse to testify, and that the judge is refusing to allow that to happen. But in that case, the jury is not being deprived of any "extremely relevant testimony" but merely the charade of a witness taking the stand, being sworn in, identifying themselves, being asked a question about the Browns, invoking the 5th Amendment, and being excused without answering any relevant questions.

(Interesting legal issue: The jury is instructed not to take any inference against the defendant when the defendant refuses to testify on his own behalf, but is the jury allowed to draw inferences from a non-defendant witness's refusal to testify? I suspect not, but for 6th Amendment reasons and not 5th Amendment reasons.)
Dan Evans