Brown Supporter Trial (even more)

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Scoop

Re: Brown Supporter Trial (even more)

Post by Scoop »

LPC wrote:the over-heated courtrooms
Not an issue in this case.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Jose wrote: Cirino's brother, Romeo tearfully admitted to having taken the 5th and was dismissed from the witness list.
::snip::
Finally, when I was about to testify, Cirino took the stand (probably to prevent ME from doing so).
Actually, according to Demo's chronology, you plead the fifth first, then Romeo, then Reno took the stand. Or do you mean you changed your mind and was going to testify after Reno and then Reno threw himself under the bus and you stuck with not testifying?

So, the way I'm seeing this right now is:
You at first were so adamant about testifying in your son's defense, then did a 180 and said that you weren't going to court because you found out that you were selected for a random search at the airport, then did another 180 and showed up insisting on testifying and refused to respond to "threats", then did another 180 and plead the fifth, then did another 180 and wanted to testify, then did another 180 after Reno testified and took advise not to testify, and now that the trial is over, you pull another 180 and say that your testimony is going to be included in the appeal.

Right about now, you should be so dizzy that you're throwing up.

BTW, if a defendant's witness pleads the fifth, is it possible to retract that and put testimony on record for an appeal? It sounds like new evidence, but it's only new because the defense witness chose not to put it in front of a jury (possibly at the advise of a lawyer) in the first trial. Sounds like a bit of a lazy manipulation.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

webhick wrote:BTW, if a defendant's witness pleads the fifth, is it possible to retract that and put testimony on record for an appeal? It sounds like new evidence, but it's only new because the defense witness chose not to put it in front of a jury (possibly at the advise of a lawyer) in the first trial. Sounds like a bit of a lazy manipulation.
Yes. If you're in the district of bizzaro world, part of the 113th circuit. Otherwise, no, you're stuck with the record of the trial court. (some limited exceptions notwithstanding, depending on standard of review)
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The chronology.

Jose took the stand and accepted an attorney.
Romeo took the stand and accepted an attorney.
Lauren Canario took the stand and testified.
Jim Johnson took the stand and testified.
Corinna Cooper took the stand and testified.
Jose took the stand a little later and said that he and his attorney hadn't finished talking.
Jose then took the 5th because the government would tell him in advance which questions would be asked.
Romeo took the stand and took the 5th.
Reno took the stand and testified.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

There's a verdict.
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:There's a verdict.
I was about to make a prediction, but now I think I'll shut up.

(I'll tell you all later how right I would have been.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I predict Dogwalker will be found guilty on all counts, Jason will be guilty on everything but the explosives charge, and the jury could be hung on Reno's counts.

Just a prediction, of course...
Demo.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Demosthenes wrote:There's a verdict.
Has it been read yet, or is there just a note saying there's a verdict?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

It's been read, although I haven't received clear confirmation yet on Reno's counts.

Danny, guilty on all counts.
Jason, guilty on everything but the explosives charge.
Unclear on Reno, but potentially hung on all counts.

Just as I predicted less than a minute ago...
Demo.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Demo, thanks for clarifying the chronology further. Jose was quite clear in his post about not pleading the 5th until after Reno took the stand, so I can only conclude....that Jose is either like that little guy in "The Longest Journey" who exists both in the past and future at the same time and gets his tense all screwed up....or he's just spewing.
Demosthenes wrote:Jose then took the 5th because the government would tell him in advance which questions would be asked.
You mean "wouldn't tell him in advance," right? I can't imagine it going in the opposite direction.

So, he insisted everyone make exceptions for him and treat him like a special little bunny and when they wouldn't, he took his ball and went home.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
LPC

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:I predict Dogwalker will be found guilty on all counts, Jason will be guilty on everything but the explosives charge, and the jury could be hung on Reno's counts.

Just a prediction, of course...
I was thinking along the same lines.

They'll all be found guilty of lesser charges, such as aiding and abetting, and conspiring to interfere with federal officers (or whatever the charge was), but the destructive devices charges seem iffy.

But we'll see.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I was kidding, Dan. My "prediction" was the actual verdict, according to a text message I got from Scoop.
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

That Demo is a naughty girl.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
webhick

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:I was kidding, Dan. My "prediction" was the actual verdict, according to a text message I got from Scoop.
I was going to charge you for using the magic goat nuts (the ones that the magical goat under my desk belches every hour), but now I see that isn't necessary. So, when the Keebler Elves show up with shotguns...um, give em a beer and tell them that there are some squirrels that want to play "hide the cookies."
LPC

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:I was kidding, Dan. My "prediction" was the actual verdict, according to a text message I got from Scoop.
So the jury really thought that Reno might have gone to the Browns, and spent a lot of time walking around carrying guns, without ever intending to help the Browns?

Amazing.
Dan Evans
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

So the jury really thought that Reno might have gone to the Browns, and spent a lot of time walking around carrying guns, without ever intending to help the Browns?
He wasn't acquitted; the jury was hung. That only takes one juror.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Leftcoaster

Post by Leftcoaster »

LPC wrote:

Amazing.
It's possible that they've split on whether or not he's smart enough to actually conspire with anyone. From my following of the trial, and the lead up to it, it seems to me that the world spins just a little too quickly for Reno.
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

CaptainKickback wrote:What I find ironic is that the blabbiest, most frivolous filing one of the lot was found guilty on all charges.
I'm not sure irony is the right word. Perhaps "appropriate" is a better choice. I feel sorry (if only because I have been drinking and had a decent day, the first in weeks) for Danny and his brother (Elliot Ness). I honestly believe that Danny was playing at patriot and never honestly believed that anyone would be hurt at his little game. But then again, I am an idiot. An idiot after three drinks as well.

Will the jury be asked to continue to deliberate more on the Reno charge or has the Judge called a mistrial on the case against him? Any information on reactions from the Courtroom?
webhick

Post by webhick »

LPC wrote:

Amazing.

From Bill Riley's blog, regarding Reno's testimony:
The prosecution asked if Reno was aware of the conviction for tax evasion and he said he was not aware that they were convicted but he explained that he was aware there was a legal situation with the Brown's.
That may cast some doubt on his guilt. I don't keep very good track of things, but I could swear he acknowledged that they were convicted in blogs, etc.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

As predicted...

So long, Danny.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros