Tax Season Kickoff

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Tax Season Kickoff

Post by Demosthenes »

FOR PLANNING PURPOSES ONLY TAX
MONDAY, APRIL 7, 2008 202) 514-2007
http://WWW.USDOJ.GOV TDD (202) 514-1888

****MEDIA ADVISORY****
ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL NATHAN J. HOCHMAN
TO HOLD NEWS CONFERENCE REGARDING NEW TAX DEFIER INITIATIVE

WASHINGTON – Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Tax Division, will hold a news conference to announce the launch of the National Tax Defier Initiative on TUESDAY, APRIL 8, 2008, AT 11:00 A.M. EDT.
WHO: Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General for the Tax Division
WHAT: News Conference
WHERE: Room 4141, Tax Division Conference Room
Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.

WHEN: TUESDAY, APRIL 8, 2008
11:00 A.M. EDT
NOTE: All media must present government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver’s license) as well as valid media credentials. Media must enter the Department at the center entrance on Constitution Avenue no later then 10:30 A.M., between Ninth and Tenth Streets. Press inquiries regarding logistics should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs at (202)-514-2007
Those reporters who are unable to attend should contact the Office of Public Affairs at 202-514-2007 for the call in number and conference pass code. Please call in no later than 10:55 A.M. EDT, so the news conference can begin promptly.
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: Tax Season Kickoff

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:
NOTE: All media must present government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver’s license) as well as valid media credentials. Media must enter the Department at the center entrance on Constitution Avenue no later then 10:30 A.M., between Ninth and Tenth Streets. Press inquiries regarding logistics should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs at (202)-514-2007
Those reporters who are unable to attend should contact the Office of Public Affairs at 202-514-2007 for the call in number and conference pass code. Please call in no later than 10:55 A.M. EDT, so the news conference can begin promptly.
Are we sending Scoop, our Quatloosian reporter, to this announcement? Or as usual, do you already know what's going to be said?
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

:twisted:
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Imalawman wrote:Are we sending Scoop, our Quatloosian reporter, to this announcement? Or as usual, do you already know what's going to be said?
Who do you think wrote the speech?
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

NOTE: All media must present government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver’s license) as well as valid media credentials.
Or wear a fedora with the word "Press" written on a piece of paper stuck in the hatband.

Which reminds me, what's up with Doug lately?
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

tommygun wrote:Which reminds me, what's up with Doug lately?
He hangs out here. He's taken down all his other sites.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

ho-kaaaaaay...
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

WASHINGTON – Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Tax Division, will hold a news conference to announce the launch of the National Tax Defier Initiative on TUESDAY, APRIL 8, 2008, AT 11:00 A.M. EDT.
"Tax defier"?

I think that they were miffed when they discovered I had already registered "tax denier" and it would cost them a royalty every time they used it, so they had to come up with a new phrase.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

LPC wrote:they had to come up with a new phrase.
A new crappy phrase.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE TAX
TUESDAY, APRIL 8, 2008 (202) 514-2007
http://WWW.USDOJ.GOV TDD (202) 514-1888
STATEMENT OF NATHAN J. HOCHMAN, TAX DIVISION’S ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL,
ANNOUNCING CREATION OF THE NATIONAL TAX DEFIER INITIATIVE
WASHINGTON - Today Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department’s Tax Division, announced the creation of the National Tax Defier Initiative or TAXDEF. The purpose of this initiative is to reaffirm and reinvigorate the Tax Division’s commitment to investigate, pursue and, where appropriate, prosecute those who take concrete action to defy and deny the fundamental validity of the tax laws.
Millions of hard-working Americans take time out of their hectic schedules to perform a time-consuming and often arduous task of filing federal income tax returns. 130 million Americans voluntarily engage in this ritual every year. These individuals participate because they know that with the privileges that the United States has given them come the responsibilities and obligations of citizenship. Former Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes’ saying states it best: “Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society.”
This initiative is aimed at stopping those tax defiers who do not meet their federal tax obligations and seek to transfer those obligations to their neighbor’s back. The tax defier is not someone who has a legitimate or factual dispute about the amount of tax due. The tax defier is not someone who is merely exercising his or her First Amendment rights to challenge the tax policy choices that Congress has made. Instead, the tax defier is someone who rejects the legal foundation of the tax system, despite decades of legal precedent upholding the system’s constitutional and statutory validity, and who takes specific and concrete action to violate the law. It is this tax defier conduct, which results in fraudulent claims, frivolous returns and bogus schemes, that threatens the foundation of our tax system and must be vigorously countered. This activity not only wastes limited governmental investigative, administrative and judicial resources, but it also fundamentally undermines the public’s confidence in the fairness of the tax system.
Although the Tax Division and the IRS have been effective at times in combating tax defier activity, the problem demands constant vigilance. Today I want to renew and revitalize the Tax Division’s commitment to combating tax defier activity by announcing the creation of the National Tax Defier Initiative, or TAXDEF. Jennifer Ihlo will serve as the National Director of TAXDEF and she will report directly to me. Her primary mission will be to ensure that we are using all of the tools in our enforcement arsenal to address this nationwide problem.
The TAXDEF initiative will:
o Strengthen and expand coordination among the Tax Division, IRS and US Attorneys’ offices to ensure that both criminal and civil enforcement tools are fully considered and utilized.

o Leverage expertise and resources to enable agents and attorneys across the country to efficiently detect, investigate and where appropriate, prosecute tax defiers, viewing enforcement from a national rather than regional or local perspective.
o Expand our efforts to enjoin tax defier activity. Since 2001 the Tax Division has obtained over 300 civil injunctions against tax promoters and preparers, over a third of which directly involved tax defier activity. Injunctions are a powerful method of stopping the promotion of tax defier activity at the earliest possible moment. We estimate that we have collected over $600 million in tax as a result of our efforts.

o Maximize our use of technology to detect, develop and prosecute cases. The explosion of the Internet in the last decade has greatly facilitated tax defier activity and turned what was once a paper–based local or regional enterprise into a click and download national operation. Our response must take full advantage of ongoing changes in technology.
o Alert and educate the public to the falsity of tax defier claims and publicize the consequences of tax defier conduct. Simply stated, we want to pull back the curtain and show the public that the promoters of these schemes are not wizards imparting the secrets of a “tax-free universe” but are nothing more than garden variety hucksters and modern day snake oil salesmen peddling tax evasion schemes.
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the Tax Division, and throughout its history its mission has been marked by the full and fair enforcement of the nation’s tax laws. As long as there has been a Tax Division, there have been tax defiers willing to subvert our nation’s tax system for their greedy self-interest. This TAXDEF Initiative should send an unequivocal message to honest taxpayers that to the extent that any of their neighbors engage in tax defier conduct, those neighbors will go to bed knowing that tomorrow may be the day when their crimes will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Demo.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

LPC wrote:
"Tax defier"?

I think that they were miffed when they discovered I had already registered "tax denier" and it would cost them a royalty every time they used it, so they had to come up with a new phrase.
How soon they forget. I was counting on "tax denier" as my claim to fame. Oh well, back to the flying cats.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Tax Defiler
Tax Ignorer
Taxgnostic
Taxpathetic
Tax Deceiver
Tax Deluder
Tax Deluded
Tax Refuser
Tax Repulser
Tax Denouncer
Tax Demurrer
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Leftcoaster

Post by Leftcoaster »

Show us the Law...ers
Code Crackers
The Accused
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

grixit wrote: Taxgnostic
Taxathestic?
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Reality Refuseniks
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

LPC wrote:Reality Refuseniks
Too long and too yiddishe. But I like the alliteration.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Tax defiers should not be confused with tax defilers, who perform unspeakable acts using Form 1040.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Quixote wrote:Tax defiers should not be confused with tax defilers, who perform unspeakable acts using Form 1040.
The good news is that it's easy to tell the difference, because one gives papercuts to government workers and the other has papercuts in "non-traditional" places.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie