Tax protester running for Erie County council

Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Tax protester running for Erie County council

Post by Lambkin »

Ebert G. "Bill" Beeman is running for a seat on the Erie County council as a Republican. He's about $2m in the hole to the IRS and has a bad case of sovereign fever.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... /310249966
A retired General Electric welder, Beeman operates a business called Libertarian Notary, south of Waterford.

He has been a registered Democrat, Republican and Libertarian, with the last switch, from Libertarian to Republican, occurring before the May primary.

Beeman said his political awakening came by way of a 10-day stay in the Erie County Prison 18 years ago. Beeman said he chose incarceration, rather than pay the $1,040 the state said he owed for what Beeman called "paperwork" violations at the mobile-home business he operated at the time.

Beeman said he emerged with a newfound commitment to question government.

Court records, in which Beeman is identified as William G. Beeman, Evert Beeman and Ebert G. Beeman, record the mode of his protest:

- Beeman owes the IRS more than $2 million. In an Oct. 16 hearing in federal court in Erie, Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul Skirtich, of Pittsburgh, told U.S. District Judge Sean J. McLaughlin that the debt mounted after Beeman quit filing income-tax returns in 1993.

- Waterford Township in July 2008 won a $5,600 judgment against Beeman and his corporation, Strivingforfreedom Inc., over unpaid sewer charges.

- The state Department of Transportation, meanwhile, wants to suspend Beeman's driver's license because he refuses to provide his Social Security number. Beeman's appeal of that license suspension is scheduled for December in Erie County Court. But it has not stopped Beeman from driving.

At a hearing Monday before Erie 1st Ward District Judge Sue Mack, Beeman was convicted of driving with the suspended license. He then got in his Subaru Forester, still sans valid license, and drove away, only to be ticketed within blocks of Mack's office by an Erie County detective.

Beeman said he owes Waterford Township nothing because he never signed up for the sewage service. He thinks the state has no right to require him to provide a Social Security number in order to drive.

His trouble with the IRS began several years ago, he said, when he turned about $1,200 into $100,000 by day trading on the stock market and failed to file returns for several years.

"I screwed up," he said.

He said he tried to work with the IRS, but gave up when agents made too many demands.

"The laws are just ungodly what you have to do. I don't care what you do, you are always going to break the law because you are going to miss something," he said.

Interpreting the Constitution

Beeman calls himself a Republican. His court filings, however, bear more in common with the so-called sovereign-citizen movement, members of which seek to abide by a rigid reading of the U.S. Constitution. In recent months, others with similar philosophies have been cropping up at court hearings in Erie County.

Documents Beeman filed in the IRS refer to admiralty law and declare that Beeman is a "third party," who is only visiting the court.

At the Oct. 16 federal court hearing on Beeman's tax problems, Beeman refused to answer Judge McLaughlin's questions directly.

"I would have been submitting to their authority," Beeman said afterward.

He has sued IRS agents for $7 million, claiming they improperly filed liens against him in Erie County Court.

"I am just trying to do what is morally right," he said.
bmielke

Re: Tax protester running for Erie County council

Post by bmielke »

I hope he wins I think he could provide endless entertainment.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Entertainment, probably, although I can't imagine the Republican caucus would be all that thrilled unless they are as far out in looney land as he is, which from what I have heard of NY lately may not be beyond the realm of possibility. All they need right now is another high profile bust on tax charges.

What concerns me more though is what other rights or laws does he think will be “morally right” to ignore? That is what concerns me.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

notorial dissent wrote: Entertainment, probably, although I can't imagine the Republican caucus would be all that thrilled unless they are as far out in looney land as he is, which from what I have heard of NY lately may not be beyond the realm of possibility. All they need right now is another high profile bust on tax charges.

What concerns me more though is what other rights or laws does he think will be “morally right” to ignore? That is what concerns me.
He's in Northwestern PA.

I would say in that area there is a posibility that a lot of people think the way he does. I went to school in that area and there is a huge distrust of the Government.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Sorry, could have sworn I read NY, must have it on the brain for some reason. On the other hand, PA has been known to produce to produce some prime examples of the breed.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re:Tax protester - Erie County councilman now indicted

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

It only got worse for this bozo AFTER he got elected:

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... EWSSITEMAP
For a time, it seemed the biggest thing Erie County Councilman Ebert G. Beeman had to fear from the federal government was financial ruin, as the Internal Revenue Service seeks to foreclose on his property to settle $2.1 million in income-tax debt.

Now Beeman's liberty has become the newest stake in his long-running battle with government authorities.

A federal grand jury in Erie on Tuesday indicted Beeman, 62, of Route 19, Waterford Township, on charges that he used the fake name William George Beman to fraudulently obtain a Social Security number and then used that number to apply for three jobs, four credit cards and a car loan between June 2006 and August.

. . .

Beeman has denied the government's claims that he engaged in sham transactions related to the properties, and has raised jurisdictional concerns over his tax case.

His legal problems have not been restricted to taxes.

He was sentenced Aug. 24 to serve six months of intensive probation after he pleaded guilty to charges stemming from his sixth arrest for driving without a license.

He has said he does not believe the state has the right to require him to provide his Social Security number. He has also said that his license became invalid because he mistakenly provided the wrong Social Security number to the state Department of Transportation.
:Axe:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

He has said he does not believe the state has the right to require him to provide his Social Security number. He has also said that his license became invalid because he mistakenly provided the wrong Social Security number to the state Department of Transportation.
Well, he has two, was it either one of them or did he make up another one?
I bet if the county would impound his car at sell it at sherriff's auction he might rethink that posistion after a few tries, anyhow.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 859/-1/ETN

Excerpt:
In his latest filing, Beeman says he has raised valid legal arguments, including his claim that the judge presiding over the case, U.S. District Judge Sean J. McLaughlin, does not have jurisdiction over the matter.

"Beeman requests that all moneys collected from him be returned and the notices of federal tax liens be released," Beeman wrote.

Kunofsky responded to Beeman within hours. He wrote that the time for such objections has passed. He said that Beeman is obligated to rebut the government's position with facts. Beeman, he said, failed to identify any evidence that shows he does not owe $2.1 million.

"Beeman instead refers to the tax-defier theories raised in his earlier pleadings. These arguments include that the court lacks jurisdiction because the United States may not tax individual human beings, and that the Secretary of the Treasury is somehow acting in this case at the behest of the International Monetary Fund," Kunofsky wrote.
Demo.