5th Circuit Affirms Sanctions against CtC Filer

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

5th Circuit Affirms Sanctions against CtC Filer

Post by LPC »

But no additional sanctions on appeal.

And Hendrickson is mentioned by name, and the court confirms that his theories are frivolous (if further confirmation were needed).

Adolfo Sandor Montero v. Commissioner, 2009 TNT 222-17, No. 09-60381 (5th Cir. 5/19/2009), aff'ng No. 023166-07L (Tax Court 10/28/2008).
ADOLFO SANDOR MONTERO
Petitioner - Appellant
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE
Respondent - Appellee

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE FIFTH CIRCUIT

Summary Calendar

Appeal from the Decision of the United States Tax Court

Before GARZA, CLEMENT and OWEN, Circuit Judges.

PER CURIAM:*

Pro se Petitioner-Appellant Adolfo Sandor Montero appeals the Tax Court's decision upholding the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") Office of Appeals' determination that the IRS could collect frivolous return penalties from Montero for the years 2003 and 2004. Montero also appeals the Tax Court's imposition of a $20,000 sanction for instituting a proceeding primarily for purposes of delay and to advance a frivolous position.

In 2003 and 2004, Montero worked at Dell Products, L.P. ("Dell"). Dell issued Montero a 2003 Form W-2 reporting that it had paid him $150,143 in wages, tips and other compensation, from which Dell withheld federal taxes. In 2004, Dell again issued Montero a Form W-2, reporting that it had paid him $156,756 in wages, tips, and other compensation, with federal taxes withheld. Montero filed Form 1040 income tax returns for both years, reporting his compensation from employment as well as other income. He received refunds for the amounts by which his income tax withholding exceeded his actual taxes due.

In 2006, Montero filed amended income tax returns (Forms 1040X) for 2003 and 2004, to which he attached Forms 4852. On the Forms 4852, Montero reported that Dell had not paid him any wages in 2003 or 2004 and sought a refund equal to the full amount of all taxes withheld minus the amount that the IRS had already refunded to him. Montero contended on his amended returns that Dell had erroneously categorized him as an "employee" earning "wages," as defined by I.R.C. §§ 3121 and 3401.1 The IRS subsequently assessed frivolous return penalties of $500 against Montero for his 2003 and 2004 returns. Montero contested these penalties and requested a collection due process ("CDP") hearing with the IRS Office of Appeals, primarily arguing that his amended returns had correctly reported that he owed no federal taxes for 2003 and 2004.

The Office of Appeals upheld the proposed levy to collect the frivolous return penalties, and also warned Montero about the possibility of up to $25,000 in monetary sanctions for bringing a frivolous action. Montero subsequently filed a petition with the Tax Court, once more advancing the argument that he had earned no taxable income in 2003 and 2004 and seeking both abatement of the frivolous return penalties as well as a refund of all taxes withheld from his 2003 and 2004 paychecks. At both the calendar call and at trial, the Tax Court warned Montero that his arguments were frivolous, and it reminded him of the possibility of monetary sanctions up to $25,000. At trial, Montero presented his opening statement, during which he continued to advance tax-protestor arguments. The Tax Court declined to hear testimony from Montero's witness, whom Montero claimed had received a refund after advocating the same arguments as Montero. The Tax Court upheld the determination of the Office of Appeals to proceed with the proposed levies, and sanctioned Montero $20,000 pursuant to I.R.C. § 6673 for instituting or maintaining a frivolous proceeding primarily, if not exclusively, to protest the federal tax system. Montero now appeals.

In a CDP case in which the underlying tax liability is at issue, we review the underlying liability de novo and the Tax Court's imposition of sanctions for an abuse of discretion. Stearman v. Comm'r, 436 F.3d 533, 535 (5th Cir. 2006); Jones v. Comm'r, 338 F.3d 463, 466 (5th Cir. 2003).

The IRS may impose a $5002 civil penalty against any individual if: (1) he files "what purports to be" a federal income tax return; (2) the purported return "contains information that on its face indicates that the self-assessment is substantially incorrect;" and (3) this conduct is due to "a position which is frivolous" or "a desire to delay or impede the administration of Federal tax laws." I.R.C. § 6702.

The Tax Court properly found that the Forms 1040X, which Montero filed in order to obtain income tax refunds for 2003 and 2004, "purported to be" income tax returns because Montero filed the forms in order to obtain a refund of taxes previously paid. See Davis v. United States, 742 F.2d 171, 173 (5th Cir. 1984) (finding documents comprised "tax returns" if the purpose of filing the documents was to obtain a refund). The Forms 1040X facially contained incorrect information based on Montero's legally frivolous positions. For instance, Montero reported that he had received no wages even though Dell had sent him Forms W-2 reporting that it had paid him over $150,000 in both 2003 and 2004. His rationale for his amended filings was based on tax-protester arguments alleging that he was not an "employee" and did not earn "wages" under IRC definitions.

However, Section 61 of the IRC defines "gross income" as "all income from whatever source derived" including "[c]ompensation for services." Montero's contention that compensation received from a private employer is not subject to income tax has been rejected as frivolous numerous times. See, e.g., Parker v. Comm'r, 724 F.2d 469, 471-72 (5th Cir. 1984) (refuting allegation that "the income tax is an excise tax applicable only against special privileges" and finding Congress empowered to levy income tax against any source of income); see also United States v. Latham, 754 F.2d 747, 750 (7th Cir. 1985) (finding taxpayer's argument that the IRC category of "employee" would "not include privately employed wage earners" a "preposterous reading of the statute"). Furthermore, the Sixth Circuit recently affirmed a district court order permitting the IRS to recover tax refunds that it had erroneously issued to Peter Hendrickson, the progenitor of Montero's tax theories, and enjoining him from asserting his tax-protestor arguments on future returns. United States v. Hendrickson, 100 A.F.T.R.2d (RIA) 5395 (E.D. Mich. 2007), aff'd by unpublished slip op., No. 071510 (6th Cir. June 11, 2008). Thus, because Montero filed purported income tax returns that were patently frivolous, the Tax Court correctly upheld the imposition of the frivolous return penalties for 2003 and 2004.

Montero also appeals the Tax Court's imposition of $20,000 in sanctions for instituting a proceeding primarily for the purposes of delay and maintaining frivolous positions. The Tax Court may sanction a taxpayer whenever it appears that he instituted or maintained a proceeding primarily for delay, or that his position in the proceeding is groundless or frivolous. I.R.C. § 6673(a). This court has upheld sanctions in cases where taxpayers advance frivolous arguments similar to those advanced by Montero. See, e.g., Stearman, 436 F.3d at 538 (affirming $12,500 sanction after finding taxpayer maintained proceedings primarily for delay); Tello v. Comm'r, 410 F.3d 743, 744 (5th Cir. 2005) (granting motion for $6,000 in sanctions for frivolous appeal); Sandvall v. Comm'r, 898 F.2d 455, 459 (5th Cir. 1990) (levying $3,000 sanction against taxpayers for frivolous appeal).

In the instant matter, Montero continued to advance frivolous tax-protestor arguments despite being warned (both before and at trial by the Commissioner and the Tax Court) that his arguments were frivolous and that he could be sanctioned if he persisted in advancing them. These warnings were not "threats," as Montero argues, nor do they represent bias on the part of the Tax Court judge. A judge does not show bias by disregarding legally frivolous arguments. Liteky v. United States, 510 U.S. 540, 550-51, 554-56 (1994). Accordingly, the Tax Court did not abuse its discretion in issuing sanctions against Montero.

Montero further argues that the sanctions were excessive in amount. The Tax Court may sanction a taxpayer up to $25,000 for advancing frivolous arguments. I.R.C. § 6673(a). The Commissioner requested $10,000 in sanctions at trial ($400 per hour for 25 hours of work). However, the Tax Court issued $20,000 in sanctions, finding the $10,000 requested by the Commissioner "too small given the number of years [taxpayer] has made these arguments and the wages he has earned during this period of time." Montero's cumulative income from Dell alone in 2003 and 2004 was over $300,000. Moreover, he has two pending tax cases in which he advances frivolous tax-protestor arguments regarding his wage earnings in 2005 and 2006, wasting further judicial resources. Accordingly, the Tax Court did not abuse its discretion in assessing a $20,000 sanction.

For the foregoing reasons, we AFFIRM the decision of the Tax Court.

FOOTNOTES

* Pursuant to 5TH CIR. R. 47.5, the court has determined that this opinion should not be published and is not precedent except under the limited circumstances set forth in 5TH CIR. R. 47.5.4.

1 This argument is based on the theories of Peter Hendrickson, tax protester and author of Cracking the Code: The Fascinating Truth About Taxation in America. Hendrickson relies on the statement in I.R.C. § 3401(c) that the term "employee" "includes" government employees and corporate officers to contend that only the remuneration paid to these categories of persons comprise "wages" subject to taxation. In other words, according to Hendrickson, private sector compensation is not "wages" and therefore not taxable. The Sixth Circuit has found this theory to be a frivolous tax-protestor argument. See infra.

2 Congress later amended I.R.C. § 6702 to increase the penalty to $5,000, but to limit the penalty for frivolous positions to those positions identified by the IRS as such. See Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006, Pub. L. No. 109-432, § 407(a), 120 Stat. 2922, 2960-61 (2006).

END OF FOOTNOTES
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Re: 5th Circuit Affirms Sanctions against CtC Filer

Post by LPC »

The transcript of the bench opinion of the Tax Court is available on-line through the US Tax Court docket system, but doesn't really add anything to what the 5th Circuit said.

Montero also filed a second Tax Court petition, No. 13141-09L, which was dismissed for lack of jurisdiction on 9/4/2009. The order of dismissal (also available on-line) says that the IRS also assessed frivolous return penalties for 2002, 2005, and 2006, and filed a notice of tax lien for the penalties for 2002 through 2006. Montero then petitioned the Tax Court again, but the Tax Court dismissed the petition because Montero didn't request a collection due process hearing for the additional penalties, so there was no determination to appeal to the Tax Court.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

And another Pro Se TPer goes down in flames.... :P
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

It is likely that the IRS will collect the full $21,000 in penalties and sanctions. Unlike many TPs, Montero has enough income that a wage levy will have some bite. Of course, he might try some of the techniques suggested on LH for dealing with wage levies and get himself fired when Dell finds out they have a highly paid employee with the common sense of a kumquat.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

The Tax Court declined to hear testimony from Montero's witness, whom Montero claimed had received a refund after advocating the same arguments as Montero.
And who has now painted a target on himself.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Quixote wrote:It is likely that the IRS will collect the full $21,000 in penalties and sanctions. Unlike many TPs, Montero has enough income that a wage levy will have some bite. Of course, he might try some of the techniques suggested on LH for dealing with wage levies and get himself fired when Dell finds out they have a highly paid employee with the common sense of a kumquat.
It's always nice when the thousands of dollars spent to fight a case are not wasted.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

and don't forget he has other years pending in other cases, so he can rack up a few more friv pens too!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Gregg wrote:and don't forget he has other years pending in other cases, so he can rack up a few more friv pens too!
I would hope he wasn't that stupid.

I won't hold my breath.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

bmielke wrote:
Gregg wrote:and don't forget he has other years pending in other cases, so he can rack up a few more friv pens too!

I won't hold my breath.
somewhere in the case it was mentioned that he had other cases pending...so yes, he is that stupid
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Gregg wrote:
bmielke wrote:

I won't hold my breath.
somewhere in the case it was mentioned that he had other cases pending...so yes, he is that stupid
I think that the 5th Circuit was talking about his other Tax Court petition, which was still pending at the time the briefs were filed with them. I described that second petition above, as follows:
LPC wrote:Montero also filed a second Tax Court petition, No. 13141-09L, which was dismissed for lack of jurisdiction on 9/4/2009. The order of dismissal (also available on-line) says that the IRS also assessed frivolous return penalties for 2002, 2005, and 2006, and filed a notice of tax lien for the penalties for 2002 through 2006. Montero then petitioned the Tax Court again, but the Tax Court dismissed the petition because Montero didn't request a collection due process hearing for the additional penalties, so there was no determination to appeal to the Tax Court.
Checking PACER, I find that our friend filed a complaint in federal district court on 12/5/2008, seeking a refund of taxes for 2005. No. 1:08-cv-00885-JRN in the W.D. of Texas. He appears to satisfy the requirement for having filed a refund claim with the IRS before filing the refund suit in federal court because he claims to have filed a return for 2005, but the return resulted in a frivolous return penalty and not the refund he asked for.

Attached to the complaint is a copy of the Form 4852 submitted with the 2005 income tax return. It shows 0 wages, but $27,929.14 federal income tax withheld, $5,580 of SS tax, and $2,524.09 of Medicare tax withheld. Based on the last number, it appears he was paid $174,075 by Dell in 2005.

The case seems to be in discovery now, with another conference with the judge scheduled for February 2010.

We'll see if Rule 11 sanctions will be applied.
Dan Evans
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

LPC wrote:
Checking PACER, I find that our friend filed a complaint in federal district court on 12/5/2008, seeking a refund of taxes for 2005. No. 1:08-cv-00885-JRN in the W.D. of Texas. He appears to satisfy the requirement for having filed a refund claim with the IRS before filing the refund suit in federal court because he claims to have filed a return for 2005, but the return resulted in a frivolous return penalty and not the refund he asked for.

Attached to the complaint is a copy of the Form 4852 submitted with the 2005 income tax return. It shows 0 wages, but $27,929.14 federal income tax withheld, $5,580 of SS tax, and $2,524.09 of Medicare tax withheld. Based on the last number, it appears he was paid $174,075 by Dell in 2005.

The case seems to be in discovery now, with another conference with the judge scheduled for February 2010.

Could he drop the cases to avoid sanctions? I mean I know thats asking alot, but it is possible he might have seen the light. I know under state law here you can.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Can we go ahead and nominate him for the criminal charges that the IRS was talking about now that Pete has provided a good test case for CTC methods?
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

In the first message, the date of the Montero decision is wrong. It's not May 19th, it's Nov 19, 2009.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

And do you think you'll see this case discussed by the sheeple over at Lostheads? Of course not.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Joey Smith wrote:And do you think you'll see this case discussed by the sheeple over at Lostheads? Of course not.
More importantly how much longer is LH going to be around? It's too bad that this story won;t get out like it should it would be a good object lesson for people who make good money and still try crap like this.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Mr. Montero is also suing (pro se) for a tax refund in federal district court. See Adolfo Sandor Montero v. United States, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas (Austin), case no. 1:08-cv-00885-JRN.

Montero has already been warned by the District Court about his frivolous filings in this ongoing case. See, e.g., the Order at docket entry 13 on October 15, 2009, which mentions the losthorizons web site as well.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:Mr. Montero is also suing (pro se) for a tax refund in federal district court. See Adolfo Sandor Montero v. United States, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas (Austin), case no. 1:08-cv-00885-JRN.
I already said that.
Dan Evans
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

LPC wrote:
Famspear wrote:Mr. Montero is also suing (pro se) for a tax refund in federal district court. See Adolfo Sandor Montero v. United States, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas (Austin), case no. 1:08-cv-00885-JRN.
I already said that.
Oops, I missed that.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC

Post by LPC »

LPC wrote:Checking PACER, I find that our friend filed a complaint in federal district court on 12/5/2008, seeking a refund of taxes for 2005. No. 1:08-cv-00885-JRN in the W.D. of Texas. He appears to satisfy the requirement for having filed a refund claim with the IRS before filing the refund suit in federal court because he claims to have filed a return for 2005, but the return resulted in a frivolous return penalty and not the refund he asked for.

No Rule 11 sanctions, but the refund action was dismissed, and Santero was hit with $8,000 in sanctions when he appealed the dismissal.

Adolfo Sandor Montero v. United States, No. 10-50480 (5th Cir. 1/27/2011)
5th Circuit wrote:ADOLFO SANDOR MONTERO,
Plaintiff - Appellant
v.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Defendant - Appellee

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE FIFTH CIRCUIT

Summary Calendar

Appeal from the United States District Court
for the Western District of Texas, Austin
USDC No. 1:08-CV-885

Before JOLLY, STEWART, and ELROD, Circuit Judges.

PER CURIAM:*

In 2005, Montero earned over $160,000 working for Dell Products. He filed suit against the Government in federal district court, seeking a refund of all federal taxes that Dell withheld from his pay ($27,929 in income tax and $8,104 in FICA tax). He contends that the "unprivileged private-sector remuneration" that he received from Dell does not constitute taxable wages. He also sought an injunction enjoining the Government from "future abuse" and an unspecified amount of money damages.

The district court dismissed the complaint for lack of jurisdiction because Montero had not satisfied the jurisdictional prerequisites for filing a tax refund suit in federal court (payment of assessed tax liability in full and timely filing of an administrative claim for a refund with the Internal Revenue Service). See 28 U.S.C. 1346(a)(1); 26 U.S.C. 7422(a); Flora v. United States, 362 U.S. 145, 177 (1960). Montero argues that these jurisdictional prerequisites apply only to "taxpayers" and, therefore, do not apply to him because he is a "non-taxpayer." These arguments are patently frivolous and devoid of any merit whatsoever. Accordingly, the judgment of the district court is in all respects AFFIRMED.

Montero's "Motion to Improve Legibility of Currently Illegible Portions of the Record on Appeal" is DENIED as moot.

The Government's motion for a lump-sum sanction of $8,000, in lieu of calculating the costs and attorney's fees it incurred in responding to Montero's frivolous appeal, is GRANTED. This court has approved similar awards in similar cases because it "saves the government the additional cost of calculating its expenses, and also saves the court the time and expense of reviewing the submission of costs." Parker v. Commissioner, 117 F.3d 785, 787 (5th Cir. 1997); see also Smith v. United States, 2008 WL 5069783, at *2 (5th Cir. 2008) (unpublished) (awarding lump sum sanction of $8,000 against taxpayer for filing a frivolous appeal) Wallis v. Commissioner, 203 F. App'x 591, 594 (5th Cir. 2006) (unpublished) (same).

AFFIRMED; SANCTIONS IMPOSED.

FOOTNOTE

* Pursuant to 5TH CIR. R. 47.5, the court has determined that this opinion should not be published and is not precedent except under the limited circumstances set forth in 5TH CIR. R. 47.5.4.

END OF FOOTNOTE
Dan Evans
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Gosh, CtC lost yet again?

Imagine that. Spend $24.95 on a "book" that will "free" you from federal taxation and wind up with only an extra $8,000 of sanctions on top of what you already owe. The $5K frivolous penalty for filing your next CtC return is nothing compared to that.

Clearly, the next step is to consult with Skankbeat.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.