Thillum Thread v. Giles Threads

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Thillum Thread v. Giles Threads

Post by wserra »

Wow. It's been a busy couple of days here. We lost power during a huge storm Saturday afternoon and didn't get it back until last (Monday) evening. Even had we had internet access - we didn't, of course - my fingers were too cold to use the keyboard without gloves. So I come back and see these threads mostly for the first time.

I think I see a pattern. By and large, my colleagues are more polite to Thillum than to Giles, perhaps because Thillum is more polite to them. The result: despite several people posting absolutely correct responses to Giles, overall to the casual reader the Giles threads look much more like flame wars than does the Thillum thread. Moreover, while some of these guys are surely beyond reaching, some are not, and courtesy is a far better means of reaching someone than abuse. Thillum's last post really struck me. Do we want that response, or "You Are Stupid. And I will Prove it"? We may get the latter in any event, but we don't have to encourage it.

God knows I'm not saying that we shouldn't respond to folks like Giles. I think we should, because we're not the only people who read this forum and, every now and then, a horse will learn to sing. But nobody's ego should be involved in responding to TPs. As far as I can tell, Giles is not a promoter. David would like to be, but how many "suitors" does anyone here believe have paid him a dime? As was pointed out largely in insult, many if not most of the regular posters to this board are successful professionals. What is the point in insulting people who only hurt themselves?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Re: Thillum Thread v. Giles Threads

Post by Prof »

Applause.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

wserra wrote:Wow. It's been a busy couple of days here. We lost power during a huge storm Saturday afternoon and didn't get it back until last (Monday) evening. Even had we had internet access - we didn't, of course - my fingers were too cold to use the keyboard without gloves. So I come back and see these threads mostly for the first time.

I think I see a pattern. By and large, my colleagues are more polite to Thillum than to Giles, perhaps because Thillum is more polite to them. The result: despite several people posting absolutely correct responses to Giles, overall to the casual reader the Giles threads look much more like flame wars than does the Thillum thread. Moreover, while some of these guys are surely beyond reaching, some are not, and courtesy is a far better means of reaching someone than abuse. Thillum's last post really struck me. Do we want that response, or "You Are Stupid. And I will Prove it"? We may get the latter in any event, but we don't have to encourage it.

God knows I'm not saying that we shouldn't respond to folks like Giles. I think we should, because we're not the only people who read this forum and, every now and then, a horse will learn to sing. But nobody's ego should be involved in responding to TPs. As far as I can tell, Giles is not a promoter. David would like to be, but how many "suitors" does anyone here believe have paid him a dime? As was pointed out largely in insult, many if not most of the regular posters to this board are successful professionals. What is the point in insulting people who only hurt themselves?
I agree...to a point. I think its OK to call a spade a spade. If someone's being obstinate and obtuse, I'll them such. But I think you're getting at going beyond that. I agree that even if someone is being a stupid ass, we should be probably find a tactful way of saying so.

I draw the line of even responding to DVP. He's mentally ill and I don't want to interact with him - I hope that he gets help. Giles, also seems to have some "problems". So, I just stay away from those wars.

I think its OK to have a little fun at TP's expense now and again, but agree that we should always be somewhat professional.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I don't mind locking horns with DMVP/Giles types, at first; but eventually I tire of their obtuseness and decide to refrain from all further posting. It's tiring to repeat the same truths, over and over again, to those who cannot or will not listen to them, and simply spout idiocies and irrelevancies.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

I think the biggest difference between the two is that one poster has a more open-mind and one user has a completely closed mind.

If a TP comes here with an open mind and shows a willingness to listen, it shows up in his posts. I think the community here, by and large, treats those people with a lot of respect even if the community doesn't respect his views of the law. If a TP comes here with a closed mind it's a much different story. If a TP frequently posts gibberish/word salad that no one can make heads nor tails of, they get treated differently than those who present their ideas in a rational way.

Let's face it, there are people that get suckered into this TP stuff, and then there are people that are mentally/psychologically off that latch onto this TP stuff. The former you can reason with, the latter you can only sit back and enjoy. Who hasn't laughed reading DVP's lawsuit against his motor scooter?
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Nowadays the only time I read anything from Van Pelt is when someone quotes or copies some of his gibberish in their own post, but he's also a scam promoter so you have to keep an eye out for posts that are nothing more than advertisements.

Giles simply overran the irrationality quota and has joined David on the ignore list, and Thillum is like deja vu all over again - that sense you get that you've seen the same foolishness from someone under another name.

At some point, civility breaks down when you realize the person posting is not just ignorant but intellectually dishonest - or in Van Pelt's case, mentally disturbed.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

This is a difficult issue. The problem is trying to determine the intent of the poster. If one is legitimately looking for information then their questions should be answered and the regulars here do a great job of that. However, some are here to metaphorically "run the bulls at Pamplona" and sort of prove their manhood to themselves. They either believe that they are going to "prove how stupid we are" or that they can "survive" an encounter with the enemy and count coup by standing up to us. Usually one can tell the difference after a few posts but sometimes it isn't so easy. Thillum seems mostly to be actually confused. He seems interested in the answers and seems willing to read. It may turn out badly in the end but he actually seems interested in learning. Giles, on the other hand, comes to us possessing all the answers.... he just wants to fight and "prove" how stupid we are when faced by a superior being such as himself. One can easily visualize him and his infantile associates giggling among themselves about how he's doing playing Daniel in the lion's den and making us all look what they think is foolish.

I know exactly how hard it is to restrain myself when faced with this sort of poster so I basically don't play any more. I will not debate and I will not play their loaded question games or parry quotes at 30 paces. I will not feed their egos. I will say they are wrong but I won't debate it. I view many of them as children and treat them like the 7 year olds they are emotionally.

What I do agree with is that it does no good to engage in a flame war of insults. Nothing is accomplished and all you do is annoy the pig and give yourselves aggravation. If it was up to me, Giles would have run out of people to insult quite awhile ago. I ignore David Van Pelt and I am perfectly willing to do the same to Giles. I do not say that there should never be any replies... but a simple "You are wrong" and this is why should suffice. Word Salad should simply be ignored. Debate is impossible with these people. But long flame wars simply feed their egos.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Amen! These lunatics feed on responses (and, yes, insults and criticism) and feel validated and justified with every flame directed their way. If we refrain from commenting on their idiocies, they will eventually go away and bother someone else.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Amen! These lunatics feed on responses (and, yes, insults and criticism) and feel validated and justified with every flame directed their way. If we refrain from commenting on their idiocies, they will eventually go away and bother someone else.
Where's the fun in that?

Okay, don't hurt me... :lol:

Seriously, though. They've been proven wrong, we know they've been proven wrong. I think from now own we give 'em one response and then let the wolves feast on their carcasses.

This is Quatloos. When it comes to the taxation and the law, we're very much on solid ground and we've got the track record to prove it.

Ours is the way it is. Theirs is the triumph of hope over reason.

We've been right (and proven thusly) every single time. It's gonna be a cold day in Hell if we ever get it wrong.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros