Pure Trust vs. "Common Law/Contract Trust"?

Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Re: Pure Trust vs. "Common Law/Contract Trust"?

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Prof wrote:I still argue that a homestead transferred into a trust is no longer exempt but so far the courts wiggle around the issue .
In Texas, a homestead can be held by a revocable trust and by certain irrevocable trusts. See Texas Property Code Section 41.0021.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Gregg wrote:Well at the risk of asking a legitimate question....

I am divorced and getting remarried, and have thought of putting my home in a trust to protect it from any possibility of getting attached should I get divorced again. My second home has never been in my name, so no worries there, but the primary residence is in my name. Any help or suggestions are welcome....
One word: Prenup.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

A word of caution from a female member of this community.

You mention pre-nup to a fiancee and you'd better be filthy rich or have kids you're trying to financially protect. Anything less, and the suggestion of a pre-nup (which the female mind translates automatically as "you have no faith that our marriage can make it") is an automatic deal breaker.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Demosthenes wrote:A word of caution from a female member of this community.

You mention pre-nup to a fiancee and you'd better be filthy rich or have kids you're trying to financially protect. Anything less, and the suggestion of a pre-nup (which the female mind translates automatically as "you have no faith that our marriage can make it") is an automatic deal breaker.
Alternatively, she's the one with the money and you're offering to protect her interests: "I love you, and I'm not in it for the money."
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Nikki wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:A word of caution from a female member of this community.

Alternatively, she's the one with the money and you're offering to protect her interests: "I love you, and I'm not in it for the money."
Still a deal killer.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Guys, unless a woman is marrying for money, getting hitched is a serious emotional commitment. Dragging two lawyers into the marriage bed is a bad idea.
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:Guys, unless a woman is marrying for money, getting hitched is a serious emotional commitment. Dragging two lawyers into the marriage bed is a bad idea.
Even if both of the lawyers are good lookin' women?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll go back to my room now.

:oops:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:Guys, unless a woman is marrying for money, getting hitched is a serious emotional commitment.
Yeah, I mean a person only gets married six or seven times in a lifetime...

Now funerals on the other hand, that's a commitment.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

And of course there is the situation wherein I found myself... in which she suggested the pre-nup.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

CaptainKickback wrote: ... probably realizes that some mushy-headed gaganess over impending nuptials is fine, but there is some family business to take care of first.

....or was so befogged with getting married that they pushed it out of their mind.

I take it you've never been married.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Duke2Earl wrote:And of course there is the situation wherein I found myself... in which she suggested the pre-nup.
And.....
Duke2Earl

Post by Duke2Earl »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:
Duke2Earl wrote:And of course there is the situation wherein I found myself... in which she suggested the pre-nup.
And.....
So always being the gentleman I agreed to have my attorney provide the first draft.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Famspear wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Guys, unless a woman is marrying for money, getting hitched is a serious emotional commitment. Dragging two lawyers into the marriage bed is a bad idea.
Even if both of the lawyers are good lookin' women?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll go back to my room now.

:oops:
I think this post belongs on the Mormon thread,
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

If she came into the marriage with a higher net worth than yours, you're safe. Otherwise, it's a test...
Demo.
Duke2Earl

Post by Duke2Earl »

Demosthenes wrote:
If she came into the marriage with a higher net worth than yours, you're safe. Otherwise, it's a test...

Actually hers was a bit lower but she did have substantial assets some of which she was very determined to retain soley for her children.

Harry S Truman
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Duke2Earl wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

Actually hers was a bit lower but she did have substantial assets some of which she was very determined to retain soley for her children.
Ah. As I said in my initial post on the subject:
Your case fell within the safe harbor test.
Demo.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Demosthenes wrote:
Before our marriage my wife and I had roughly equal net worth. An investment opportunity came up and we invested in some property with her parents before we were actually married. We never discussed a pre-nup but she mentioned her father might want some agreement to protect his investment in the venture. I had no issue with that, considering the request was prompted by a bad experience with a former marriage. In the end we created an LLC. whereby we tidied up who owned what portion of the investment property, etc. No other agreement was ever drafted. It is interesting though, that my name has never been on the signature card for the LLC. checking account.
webhick

Post by webhick »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Dezcad wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote: ... probably realizes that some mushy-headed gaganess over impending nuptials is fine, but there is some family business to take care of first.

....or was so befogged with getting married that they pushed it out of their mind.

I take it you've never been married.
It took me a loooong time to become perfect. :mrgreen:
If you consider the inability to stop humping the living room furniture part of being "perfect," then sure, I agree.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

webhick wrote:If you consider the inability to stop humping the living room furniture part of being "perfect," then sure, I agree.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just laughed out loud, not a good thing in the middle of a very quiet office.
webhick

Post by webhick »

CaptainKickback wrote:
webhick wrote:If you consider the inability to stop humping the living room furniture part of being "perfect," then sure, I agree.
I have NEVER humped the living room furniture.
Living room, den, patio, neighborhood dogs, whatever...