Pete's Sentencing Memorandum

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Pete's Sentencing Memorandum

Post by Dezcad »

Mark Cedrone, PH's criminal attorney, has filed a Sentencing Memorandum, which can be found here. (Note: The Exhibits, which consist of letters of support, have not been downloaded by me.) The requested sentence is probation.....

There is a lot in there, but for me, some highlights of interest:
As the Court knows, through post-verdict motions, Mr. Hendrickson takes umbrage with the jury's verdict and the manner in which the case was submitted to the jury. Mr. Hendrickson will not use this Sentencing Memorandum as a vehicle to reiterate/regurgitate his arguments concerning the invalidity of the conviction. In addition, Mr. Hendrickson does not submit his Memorandum in an effort to half-heartedly accept responsibility for conduct he believes to be neither criminal in the first instance, nor which the Government proved to be criminal.1
(bolding added)
1. The Government will no doubt label Mr. Hendrickson's persistence concerning his innocence as recalcitrance. Undersigned counsel, however, sees it as refreshing and honest resolve to principle.

Regardless of whether one agrees with Mr. Hendrickson's ultimate conclusions on the issue (renumeration paid for non-federally connected conduct does not constitute wages as defined under the Internal Revenue Code) or any other conclusion set forth in "Cracking the Code', it cannot be credibly dispute [sic] that Mr. Hendrickson's conclusions are based on thorough and detailed analysis of the Internal revenue Code, Internal Revenue Service Regulations, and case law interpreting both.
In discussing the calculation of tax loss:
...Mr. Hendrickson asserts that The United States has never asserted a formal claim that his earnings, regardless of their source, are taxable. Stated otherwise, Mr. Hendrickson believes that before there can be any "tax loss", a properly determined tax must be assessed through the elaborate procedures set forth in the Internal revenue Code for making such assessment. (footnote omitted)
And, get this:
The Government believes that Mr. Hendrickson "has urged others to file false returns similar to his own." Mr. Hendrickson has done nothing more than express his views which he suggests that other consider. He does not provide legal advice, nor does he urge anyone to take a particular action. He reports his view on the subject and reports the views of others who share this view. It is unfathomable that the Government will request and upward variance based upon such an expression of First Amendment privilege.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Pete's Sentencing Memorandum

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Probation? Suuuuuuuuuure! This would mean that Petey will check in with an overworked probation officer once in a while, while cranking out his CtC cr*p under an assumed name or through sock puppets. What a deterrent to those who would follow in his pratfalls -- er, footsteps. :roll:
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

I'm voting for the maximum.
Last edited by Dezcad on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Probation?

Can I have some of what ever the lawyer is taking?
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The PSR came in with a recommended range of 27 to 33 months.

I don't see any mention of the criminal history being a factor in the calculation. Perhaps it occurred too many years ago ago to be included?
Demo.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

bmielke wrote:Probation?

Can I have some of what ever the lawyer is taking?
Pack me a bowl of it up, too.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

1. The Government will no doubt label Mr. Hendrickson's persistence concerning his innocence as recalcitrance. Undersigned counsel, however, sees it as refreshing and honest resolve to principle.

(bolding added).

Perhaps a minor point, but the last sentence borders on an inappropriate expression of the personal opinion of legal counsel -- in my personal opinion. In a matter before a court, I consider it inappropriate for an officer of the court to express his or her own personal opinion to the court, to the jury, etc., about the merits of the case.

For example:

Acceptable: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, my client is innocent."

Not good form: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I strongly believe my client is innocent."

Maybe the distinction is not so important in a pre-sentencing memorandum.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Famspear wrote:

(bolding added).

Perhaps a minor point, but the last sentence borders on an inappropriate expression of the personal opinion of legal counsel -- in my personal opinion. In a matter before a court, I consider it inappropriate for an officer of the court to express his or her own personal opinion to the court, to the jury, etc., about the merits of the case.

For example:

Acceptable: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, my client is innocent."

Not good form: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I strongly believe my client is innocent."

Maybe the distinction is not so important in a pre-sentencing memorandum.
Maybe PH is paying him by the word? He could have just said:
It is defendants refreshing and honest resolve to principle.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Demosthenes wrote:The PSR came in with a recommended range of 27 to 33 months.

I don't see any mention of the criminal history being a factor in the calculation. Perhaps it occurred too many years ago ago to be included?
Footnote 6 mentions:
Mr. Hendrickson does have one criminal history point (see PIR 25), but nonetheless falls within Criminal History Category I.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Dezcad wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:The PSR came in with a recommended range of 27 to 33 months.

Footnote 6 mentions:
Mr. Hendrickson does have one criminal history point (see PIR 25), but nonetheless falls within Criminal History Category I.
What of the government's sentencing memorandum, and what of upward departure?
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

it cannot be credibly dispute [sic] that Mr. Hendrickson's conclusions are based on thorough and detailed analysis of the Internal revenue Code, Internal Revenue Service Regulations, and case law interpreting both.
Yes it can. Very easily. Even a cave man could do it.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Considering that he remains defiant and totally unrepentant I'll guess that we won't have heard the last of this idiot after the door clangs shut behind him.

He'll do his 2 - 2.5 years (~85%,) get out and pull a Schiff because he's just as pig-headed. Except next time around the offense level may be higher, the criminal history category will be higher and the sentence will be stiffer, perhaps a lot stiffer. Maybe 6 - 8 - 10 years will be enough to finally get the message through his thick skull, 2 is unlikely to do it.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

. wrote:Considering that he remains defiant and totally unrepentant I'll guess that we won't have heard the last of this idiot after the door clangs shut behind him.

He'll do his 2 - 2.5 years (~85%,) get out and pull a Schiff because he's just as pig-headed. Except next time around the offense level may be higher, the criminal history category will be higher and the sentence will be stiffer, perhaps a lot stiffer. Maybe 6 - 8 - 10 years will be enough to finally get the message through his thick skull, 2 is unlikely to do it.
... not to mention the fact that he will be preaching the CtC gospel to all of his fellow inmates, and giving them yet another way to try to hustle some bucks behind bars (such as those phony tax returns that were mentioned in the news recently). He will have enough people seriously p*ssed off, by the time her gets around to beginning his second sentence, that he will go away for a very long time.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The government filed its sentencing memorandum today, and is asking for an upward departure, to 48-60 months.

There's some fairly juicy stuff in the memorandum, and I'm going to try to post most of the text here in a few minutes.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

LPC wrote:The government filed its sentencing memorandum today, and is asking for an upward departure, to 48-60 months.

There's some fairly juicy stuff in the memorandum, and I'm going to try to post most of the text here in a few minutes.
You can find it here.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Dezcad wrote:
LPC wrote:The government filed its sentencing memorandum today, and is asking for an upward departure, to 48-60 months.

You can find it here.
I really hope the judge goes up from 27-33.

I loved the foot note that said it was curious the essay about "Judicial Cheats" was no longer on the LH Website. PH edit history? No...
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

I've posted a copy of the government's memorandum here.

Some items of interest:

1. After the 1990 bombing that led to his first conviction, Hendrickson encouraged Scarborough to commit perjury in order to shield Hendrickson from prosecution. He later defended his attempts to obstruct the government's investigation and prosecution by comparing the government to Nazi Germany.

2. Hendrickson has not filed the corrected tax returns he was required to file, and there was a hearing on April 13 as to whether he should be held in contempt. He has also not paid the $4,000 in sanctions imposed by the 6th Circuit for his frivolous appeal.

3. Hendrickson continued to report additional refunds on his website even after he was convicted. See footnote 12, page 19.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Page 8 of the memorandum refers to Exhibit B wherein "copies of correspondence from several lawyers and accountants confirming not only their adherence to and implementation of "Cracking the Code" based positions..."

I would be interested in reading those copies. Hopefully there are enforcement authorities that would also be interested in those items.

As a layman, can anyone help me to know:
Is there any rebuttal or response that can be made to a sentencing memorandum?
Would it be a tactic to wait to file until near the sentencing date so as to allow less time for such permitted rebuttal or response?
Is there any discussion of the memorandum or statements made at the sentencing hearing by the attorney for each, or either, side?
Can the attorney simply make unsupported assertions (such as Hendrickson never encouraging others to file in a similar manner) without rebuttal?

Thank you for helping me to understand the sentencing process.
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The $100,000 tax loss figure includes state tax?
Demo.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

The $100,000 tax loss figure includes state tax?
According to the Government's Sentencing Memorandum, yes.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)