Guess Pete's Sentence Thread

How long will Pete spend in the joint this time?

No time -- Judge admits he was wrong, the income tax is unconstitutional, employee doesn't mean a wage earner, and the moon really is made of green cheese
3%
1 day to 1 year -- Leniency based on the strength of Pete's arguments and confusion about whether moon is made of green cheese
No votes
1 year to 3 years
9%
3 years to 6 years
41%
6 years to 9 years
16%
9 years to 12 years
9%
12 years to 15 years
16%
Greater than 15 years
6%

Total votes: 32

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Re: Guess Pete's Sentence Thread

Post by Dezcad »

Imalawman wrote:
wserra wrote:On consent, the Court has adjourned Hendrickson's sentence and set a couple of interim dates, as follows: objections to the PSR are due February 10, any additional briefing (Hendrickson requested the opportunity) on the post-trial motion is due February 26, govt response March 12, and the sentence itself is adjourned to April 15.

The sentence date can't be a coincidence.
Anything on Pacer yet?
As of 11:11AM on Feb 16, 2010 the last docket entry was the Order:
01/14/2010 86 STIPULATION AND ORDER FOR CONTINUANCE as to Peter Hendrickson. ( Sentencing reset for 4/15/2010 01:00 PM before District Judge Gerald E Rosen.)(Refer to image for additional dates) Signed by District Judge Gerald E Rosen. (RBri) (Entered: 01/14/2010)
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Imalawman wrote:
wserra wrote:On consent, the Court has adjourned Hendrickson's sentence and set a couple of interim dates, as follows: objections to the PSR are due February 10, any additional briefing (Hendrickson requested the opportunity) on the post-trial motion is due February 26, govt response March 12, and the sentence itself is adjourned to April 15.

The sentence date can't be a coincidence.
Anything on Pacer yet?
The Supplemental Brief in Support of Motion for Judgment of Acquittal/New Trial has been filed.

Continues to argue that PH is not a person, includes is limiting, definitions of wages, employee, employer and employment.

Interesting note: this brief was filed by PH's brother, Jack R. Hendrickson, Jr., Esquire, and not Mark Lane.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

As i've said before, if the judge would only accept his claim to not be a person, then he could be taken to the pound and gassed.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Dezcad wrote:The Supplemental Brief in Support of Motion for Judgment of Acquittal/New Trial has been filed.

Continues to argue that PH is not a person, includes is limiting, definitions of wages, employee, employer and employment.
Much of Hendrickson's sophistry is incoherent.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

LPC wrote:
Dezcad wrote:The Supplemental Brief in Support of Motion for Judgment of Acquittal/New Trial has been filed.

Much of Hendrickson's sophistry is incoherent.
My thoughts exactly. Of course, anytime you start with the premise that Person does not mean an individual and "includes" is a term of limitation, well...there's nowhere to go but crazyland.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Pete's sentencing has been rescheduled to April 19th.
03/02/2010 RESET Deadlines/Hearings as to Peter Hendrickson: Sentencing reset for 4/19/2010 10:00 AM before District Judge Gerald E Rosen pursuant to request of defense counsel and with concurrence of the Government. (RGun) (Entered: 03/02/2010)
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

That's a really significant (and crappy) date choice for a right wing extremist. It's the anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord, Waco, the execution of Richard Snell, and McVeigh's bombing.
Demo.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Imalawman wrote:anytime you start with the premise that Person does not mean an individual and "includes" is a term of limitation, well...there's nowhere to go but crazyland.
"Jail" works too.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
wserra

Post by wserra »

A couple of days ago, the govt filed a response to Hendrickson's motion for a judgment of acquittal. I'll link to it if anyone really wants, but it's basically boilerplate - not that anything more than boilerplate is called for in responding to outright BS.

Something did catch my eye in the exhibits, though. I think that someone (Demo?) reported that Hendrickson testified that he would not obey the judgment in the civil case directing him to file accurate returns. Well, here's the testimony (which I've tidied up to make more readable):
Q You got an order from the district court to do certain things, right?
A Yes.
Q You got a Sixth Circuit opinion that tells you to do the same thing. Right?
A Yes.
Q The sixth -- the Supreme Court said they're not taking this case?
A That's correct.
Q Which makes it a final judgment.
A That's correct.
Q Not a void judgment, a final judgment. They didn't void it.
A I agree the Supreme Court did not issue a declaration that it was a void judgment.
Q Now are you saying that a judgment doesn't exist if it's not, quote, enforced?
A No. I'm not saying that at all.
Q Okay. So you are -- so this stands as final, correct?
A In that sense of the word, yes.
Q Are you going to file the amended returns as ordered?
A I don't think that my speech can be dictated.
Q I didn't ask that.
A And so -- no.
Q So you're not going to obey that order.
A I think I'd have to say that's the case, yes.
A judge, of course, cannot direct a guilty verdict. Still, that testimony should suffice to render any possible error affecting "willfulness" harmless.
- David Hume
LPC

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:
Q So you're not going to obey that order.
A I think I'd have to say that's the case, yes.
A judge, of course, cannot direct a guilty verdict. Still, that testimony should suffice to render any possible error affecting "willfulness" harmless.
It should also take remorse, cooperation, and acceptance of responsibility out of consideration as factors in sentencing.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Big deal. So what if Pete refuses to compromise his integrity and commit perjury on a tax return.

When he gets out of prison, he will find some mail notifying him that a few things have changed:

- Every "educated" return he has ever filed has been audited.

- Every one has been recomputed the IRS way.

- He now owes back taxes, interest and penalties including the fraud penalty (which is particularly nasty) and interest on the penalties and interest on the bogus refunds he received.

- The allegation of fraud by the IRS has REALLY extended the time available for collection actions.

At the end of the process, he will be enjoying his integrity on the street.

At one point I felt sorry for Doreen, but she's either addicted to Koolaid or has taken "stand by your man" to a rediculous extreme. Her recent actions have completely eliminated any possibility of an innocent spouse defense.

I just hope Pete's brother, or some other family member, will take care of the child for them.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

wserra wrote:A couple of days ago, the govt filed a response to Hendrickson's motion for a judgment of acquittal. I'll link to it if anyone really wants, but it's basically boilerplate - not that anything more than boilerplate is called for in responding to outright BS.
Hendrickson has filed a Reply to the govt's response which is signed by Pete's brother but clearly written by Pete.

Here are some parts:
Parts of the U.S. response need specific attention. For instance, the U.S. says that:
“Prior to trial the Court squarely rejected the argument that, as a matter of law, the defendant could not be a “person” as defined in § 7206(1).” (Response page 2.)
However, Mr. Hendrickson did not say that he couldn’t be a “person” as a matter of law, he said that he ISN’T a “person” as defined relevant to §7206(1), and it was the obligation of the U.S. to prove otherwise, if it could. Rather than carry this burden (which cannot be mooted by a judicial finding, see U.S. v. Bass, 784 F.2d 1282, 5th Circuit (1986) and cases cited), the U.S. simply made reference to several (uniformly non-precedential) cases in which the subject of “personhood” relevant to §7206(1) is airily disposed of without a scintilla of analysis, while ignoring Sims v. U.S., 359 U.S. 108 (1959), a Supreme Court ruling in which detailed analysis DOES take place, and which squarely supports Mr. Hendrickson’s position.
I've read Sims many times and cannot see how it provides ANY support for his position.
At the same time, the U.S. failed (and continues to fail) to address the overwhelming authority presented by Mr. Hendrickson that “includes” is merely a variant of “means”, varying in that it allows for the inclusion of unnamed members of the class established by the enumerated items which follow its deployment, but unvarying in that it allows for no others, and does not make the enumerated items, or their class, a mere supplement of some other definition found elsewhere. This is understandable, since acknowledging that “includes” is a species of “means” eviscerates the U.S. arguments on this matter (and its case in general, for that matter). Properly reading the language of §7343 as,
The term “person” as used in this chapter [means] an officer or employee of a corporation, or a member or employee of a partnership, who as such officer, employee, or member is under a duty to perform the act in respect of which the violation occurs [and others of like kind and class].
as is required in light of the voluminous Supreme Court jurisprudence and other authority on the subject of “includes” Mr. Hendrickson has provided, makes unmistakable and inarguable that §7343 is the sole and exclusive definition of the “persons” that can be charged under §7206(1), and obliged the U.S. to attempt to prove that Mr. Hendrickson is such a “person”. (Further, even a persistent MIS-reading of this statute would still leave “person” a defined term within the law, and thus still a burden of proof for the U.S..) The U.S. failed to address the subject at all in trial, and this Honorable Court should dismiss the charges accordingly.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Check out Footnote 1, which is also ridiculous.

Bye, bye Pete - you're toast (er, I mean a "person" who will soon be toast).
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Defendant: I am not a person!

Judge: So ruled. Bailiff, hold this-- thing-- until Animal Control arrives. I'm ordering it taken to the pound and gassed as a menace to the public.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
LPC

Post by LPC »

However, Mr. Hendrickson did not say that he couldn’t be a “person” as a matter of law, he said that he ISN’T a “person” as defined relevant to §7206(1), and it was the obligation of the U.S. to prove otherwise, if it could. Rather than carry this burden (which cannot be mooted by a judicial finding, see U.S. v. Bass, 784 F.2d 1282, 5th Circuit (1986) and cases cited),
The Bass case is kind of interesting, because it revolved around the problem that, in prosecuting someone for filing a false W-4, an element of the offense that must be proved is that the defendant was an "employee" who was required to file a Form W-4 with his employer. The trial court gave an instruction to the jury that appeals court thought amounted to an instruction that the defendant was an "employee" and so deprived the defendant of the right to a trial by jury on that issue.
the the U.S. simply made reference to several (uniformly non-precedential) cases in which the subject of “personhood” relevant to §7206(1) is airily disposed of without a scintilla of analysis, while ignoring Sims v. U.S., 359 U.S. 108 (1959), a Supreme Court ruling in which detailed analysis DOES take place, and which squarely supports Mr. Hendrickson’s position.
Actually, the Sims case completely refutes Hendrickson, because it held that a state was a "person" within the meaning of section 6332 as a matter of law. Similarly, it is completely within the power of the court to hold that a human being is a "person" within the meaning of section 7206(1) as a matter of law.

I have never seen (or heard of) a case in which the prosecution was obliged to prove that the defendant was a human being, so Hendrickson's "case" seems to fall apart right there.
At the same time, the U.S. failed (and continues to fail) to address the overwhelming authority presented by Mr. Hendrickson that “includes” is merely a variant of “means”,
Because there wasn't any presented.

Like most tax deniers, Hendrickson spends most of his time telling you what he's going to tell you, and what he's already told you, but very little time actually telling you anything. Rather than saying that the government failed to address "overwhelming authority," it is much more effective (and persuasive) to re-cite that authority. But Hendrickson can't do that because his "overwhelming authority" consists mainly of convoluted explanations of quotations out of context, and those don't translate well into the briefer, real-life, "overwhelming authority" format of citing cases that are directly on point and which support your position.
Dan Evans
wserra

Post by wserra »

After reading the submissions: 60 months. Less if the judge misplaced Pete's before reading it.
- David Hume
LPC

Post by LPC »

Actually, the cruelest sentence might be a long period of supervised release, conditioned on filing accurate (i.e., non-CtC) returns.
Dan Evans
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Someone at losthorizons has posted a link to a recording of extended remarks by Pete Hendrickson, etc., on April 14, 2010, that might be of interest to anyone trying to evaluate what kind of sentence should be meted out:

http://bit.ly/c7McVn
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
wserra

Post by wserra »

LPC wrote:Actually, the cruelest sentence might be a long period of supervised release, conditioned on filing accurate (i.e., non-CtC) returns.
That certainly will be part of the sentence - following the incarceration.
- David Hume
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:Someone at losthorizons has posted a link to a recording of extended remarks by Pete Hendrickson, etc., on April 14, 2010, that might be of interest to anyone trying to evaluate what kind of sentence should be meted out:

http://bit.ly/c7McVn
I get a mention at the 50 minute mark. (Start at about 48 minutes to get the context.)

The weirdest part (I forgot to note the time, but it's late in the program) is in response to a question about the website possibly being shut down, and Hendrickson remarks that, the government having tried 4 times and suffering dismissal 4 times, the matter is now "res judicata" and the government can never try again to shut him down. But the "4 times" is clearly a reference to the 4 petitions to enforce summonses that the government filed, and then withdrew. How PH thinks that might rise to the level of res judicata is beyond delusion. (But it explains the weird footnote in the sentencing memo about the possible "binding effect" of those dismissals.)
Dan Evans
LPC

Post by LPC »

Sentencing is over, so I've "unstickied" this thread, allowing it to fade away like other threads.
Dan Evans