Hendrickson's sentence

Post by Demosthenes »

It was less than I'd guessed.
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Hendrickson's sentence

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:It was less than I'd guessed.
Gee, thanks for letting us know. Now I can go back to work.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Your statement was certainly less than we would have expected.

Such a tease you are.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Moi?
Demo.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

33 months.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Oui.

Merci.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Two years and nine months, per the Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100419 ... fraud-case

EDIT: Darn, the Melon Cat beat me to it (big surprise, ha).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:33 months.
Which was the top of the range in the PSR, so there was really no upward adjustment.

I'm surprised.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

From the Detroit News:
Detroit -- A man whose claims that most earnings are not subject to income tax have drawn national attention was sentenced to two years and nine months in prison Monday by a federal judge.

Peter Hendrickson, 54, of Commerce Township, whose views on federal income tax are detailed in his book "Cracking the Code," was found guilty of 10 counts of filing false documents by a federal jury in October.

Chief U.S. District Judge Gerald E. Rosen bristled when a courtroom full of Hendrickson's supporters burst into applause after the defendant's pre-sentencing speech and said Hendrickson has taken on the mantle of an anti-tax hero.

"You simply do not respect the law and do not respect your obligation as a citizen to follow the law," Rosen told Hendrickson.

He also ordered Hendrickson to pay a $25,000 fine, close to $30,000 in restitution, and repay the cost of his prosecution. After he is released from prison, Hendrickson is to serve six years of supervised release, Rosen said.

[ . . . ]

Hendrickson, who was allowed to remain free on bond until the Bureau of Prisons asks him to report, said he will appeal both his convictions and his sentence.....
--from the Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100419 ... fraud-case
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC

Post by LPC »

The relatively long period of supervised release (six years) is good news, because one of the conditions is sure to be the filing of accurate income tax returns.
Dan Evans
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

That's about right where I expected things to come out. The 6 years of supervised release is likely going to be the hardest part for Hendrickson, since once he gets out he's going to be filled with pent up rage only to realize that he can't really do anything about it or else go back to prison. 2.5 years is still a very long time in the clinker.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Well he'll have some time to come up with his next method...I mean scam...I mean system...I mean book... yeah book that sounds good. Here's hoping he violates the supervised release ten minutes out of jail lands in for another 6 years.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Two things:

First, wasn't there a little bet riding on this?

Second, the LoserHeads are starting to speak up
Thorn wrote:Here is the sentencing. 2 Years, 9 Months.

Godspeed Pete. I'll be buying some more books from you to help with the fines. I'm sorry I couldn't be there with you today. My indentured servitude is better served while at work today...allowing me to help you pay these outrageous fines against you.

Sincerely,

Thorn
:roll:
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Nikki wrote:Two things:

First, wasn't there a little bet riding on this?

Second, the LoserHeads are starting to speak up
Thorn wrote:Here is the sentencing. 2 Years, 9 Months.

Godspeed Pete. I'll be buying some more books from you to help with the fines. I'm sorry I couldn't be there with you today. My indentured servitude is better served while at work today...allowing me to help you pay these outrageous fines against you.

Sincerely,

Thorn
:roll:
Yeah. I'm wondering about that wager too, and I'm wondering why the website is still up. Springer's website was darkened immediately after the guilty verdict. What's with Pete's?

EDIT: I guess I'm cheering for Lost Horizon's to go dark.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Poor Famspear...he doesn't have his squeak toy to play with anymore. :wink:
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

imalawman wrote:Based on the sentencing guidelines (my limited knowledge of them), I don't see more than 3 years. As I type this, I suppose he might get more, but with concurrent sentences, the actual jail time sentence will not exceed three years.
:D

So...do I win? Also, [hold on clearing throat]...."told you so".
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

The "wager" is first mentioned here:
Harvester wrote:
Famspear wrote:Come on, Holy Man, tell us what's gonna happen to the PontificatingPrisonBoundPeterMeister on April 19, 2010.
The silver coin in my pocket still says . . . . Pete Hendrickson WILL NOT be sentenced on April 19, 2010.
But then:
Brandybuck wrote:And I have a gold coin in my safe saying that the IRS will still be harassing folks come April 1st 2011.
Then:
Harvester wrote:OK, you're on BrandyB [handshake].
The thread here formalizes it.

BUT, in the thread where the wager was first mentioned, we have a post:
Harvester wrote:Brandy, calm down. I accept your wager as stipulated. The Hendrickson 'never' references a separate wager I have with Fampspear.
So, while it's not the "Big Bet," it does appear that Harvester made a bet with Famspear (although I can't find where Famspear acknowledged it), and lost.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

I am pretty sure Famspear did not accept, because he was afraid that the sentencing might get postponed then he would owe Harvester a silver coin.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

bmielke wrote:I am pretty sure Famspear did not accept, because he was afraid that the sentencing might get postponed then he would owe Harvester a silver coin.
Then it looks like Harvester dodged a bullet. If Famspear accepted, Harvester would have had to shell out a silver coin now, and again in April 2011.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Speaking of Harvester and Nationwide et. al.

Shouldn't he be here explaining to us poor Quatloosians how his is actuall Petey's finest victory proof of the huge conspiracy or some such?