Hendrickson's Motion for Reversal

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Hendrickson's Motion for Reversal

Post by Dezcad »

One of the attorneys for Peter Hendrickson, namely his brother Jack, has filed a MOTION FOR REVERSAL OF “OBSTRUCTION” AND “INTENDED TAX LOSS” SENTENCE ENHANCEMENTS.

Here's an interesting portion of the Motion:
That is, the jury may have mistaken “willfulness” to mean “obstreperous”, or “stubborn”. Indeed, the jury may have been incapable of understanding it any other way. After all, the government made no effort to prove or even identify any “duty” to which Mr. Hendrickson was allegedly subject, or that he received “wages” (or anything at all), or that anything on his forms was “material”, or ANYTHING except that he dislikes the IRS and disagrees with certain lower court rulings, even those which themselves conflict with other, higher authorities. And yet, the Court failed to dismiss the charges at the close of the government’s case in chief for failing to meet its burdens of proof. What COULD the jury conclude other than that the only thing the government DID attempt to prove was the only thing the government needed to prove? Thus, the ONLY thing that can be concluded is that the jury was, in fact, completely misled in this fashion and the verdict implies nothing but a complete misunderstanding of the relevant meaning of “willfulness” and what the prosecution must do to bring and sustain a legitimate charge.
It is clear that only an attorney who is related to PH would sign such a Motion.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Hendrickson's Motion for Reversal

Post by wserra »

Dezcad wrote:
What COULD the jury conclude other than that the only thing the government DID attempt to prove was the only thing the government needed to prove?
Um . . . that Hendrickson's conduct fit the elements of the crimes as the judge defined them in the charge?

Just a wild guess.

And what in the world is a "Motion for Reversal"? Does he mean a "Motion for a New Trial" under FRCrP 33? If so, the guy can't even read the rule.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Dezcad wrote:One of the attorneys for Peter Hendrickson, namely his brother Jack, has filed a MOTION FOR REVERSAL OF “OBSTRUCTION” AND “INTENDED TAX LOSS” SENTENCE ENHANCEMENTS.

Here's an interesting portion of the Motion:
That is, the jury may have mistaken “willfulness” to mean “obstreperous”, or “stubborn”.

No, Sherlock, they didn't make that mistake. They took it to mean that Petey-boy intended to do precisely what he did.

I wonder if Jack craves Bar discipline the way that his brother craves imprisonment?
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

wserra wrote: And what in the world is a "Motion for Reversal"? Does he mean a "Motion for a New Trial" under FRCrP 33? If so, the guy can't even read the rule.
The Subject line doesn't quote the full title of the Motion - it is even worse: MOTION FOR REVERSAL OF “OBSTRUCTION” AND “INTENDED TAX LOSS” SENTENCE ENHANCEMENTS

Below is the ultimate relief sought, perhaps under FRCrP 35(a). But that, along with most of what is contained in the Motion, is not very clear.
CONCLUSION
In light of the foregoing, Mr. Hendrickson moves this Honorable Court to remove the sentence enhancement for “obstruction”, and revise the sentence to reflect an “offense level” of no more than 6, resulting in a sentence range of 0 - 6 months.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Hey, Charles Manson got a commutation, anything can happen.

But it's been a long time, did they have as good a case against Chuck?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

wserra wrote: And what in the world is a "Motion for Reversal"? Does he mean a "Motion for a New Trial" under FRCrP 33? If so, the guy can't even read the rule.
It's "Motion for Rehersal". The Greybar Players are doing H.M.S. Pinafore this summer, and they'd like Pete behind bars ASAP, as he is supposed to play the part of Josephine.
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Manson got a commutation
Not in the usual way via a governor. California v. Anderson. 1972. Overturned all CA death sentences. He got lucky.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

. wrote:
Manson got a commutation
Not in the usual way via a governor. California v. Anderson. 1972. Overturned all CA death sentences. He got lucky.
Back to the Restore America Plan I guess......
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Dezcad wrote:Here's an interesting portion of the Motion:
That is, the jury may have mistaken “willfulness” to mean “obstreperous”, or “stubborn”.
Which "mistaken" belief by the jury would actually be a good interpretation of the views of the Supreme Court:
“Of course, the more unreasonable the asserted beliefs or misunderstandings are, the more likely the jury will consider them to be nothing more than simple disagreement with known legal duties imposed by the tax laws, and will find that the Government has carried its burden of proving knowledge.”
United States v. Cheek, 498 U.S. 192, 203-204 (1991).

A "simple disagreement" with known legal duties is, according to the Supreme Court, the same as willfullness. So if the jury believed that the defendant was “obstreperous” or “stubborn” in disagreeing with the IRS and the courts, then the jury was right in concluding that the defendant acted willfully.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

Thule wrote:
It's "Motion for Rehersal". The Greybar Players are doing H.M.S. Pinafore this summer, and they'd like Pete behind bars ASAP, as he is supposed to play the part of Josephine.
Why not the Major General from Pirates of Penzance or King Gama from Princess Ida?
King Gama wrote:I know ev'rybody's income and what ev'rybody earns;
And I carefully compare it with the income-tax returns;
But to benefit humanity however much I plan,
Yet ev'rybody says I'm such a disagreeable man!
And I can't think why!
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

They're trying to do the same with the courts as they attempted to do with taxes; make up their own rules and see if anyone's gonna fall for them. It's pretty obvious that Jack thinks they can "reopen" the whole thing, as he's still harping about wages, and the W-2 form and testimony is the proof he's dismissing. Maybe he thinks if he writes angrily enough nobody will notice. Can't wait to see what this little gem generates.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Cathulhu wrote: Maybe he thinks if he writes angrily enough nobody will notice.
That's essentially Charlie Pierce's Third Great Premise of Idiot America: fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

The Dog wrote:
Thule wrote: ...

Why not the Major General from Pirates of Penzance or King Gama from Princess Ida?
Actually, the Bureau of Prisons just paid for the rights to a stage adaptation of the movie "Stardust." Pete is set to play the part of Captain Shakespeare. 8)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:And what in the world is a "Motion for Reversal"? Does he mean a "Motion for a New Trial" under FRCrP 33? If so, the guy can't even read the rule.
It looks like a motion for reconsideration, but I don't see any provision for that kind of motion in the rules of criminal procedure.

Is there really no way to ask a judge to reconsider a sentence?

A quick Google search turns up United States v. Gargano, 826 F.2d 610 (7th Cir. 1987) (opinion by Judge Posner), which states that:

1. The criminal rules make no provision for motions to reconsider; and

2. Despite the lack of any express rule, the Supreme Court has held that a motion for reconsideration may be filed in a criminal case and that if filed within the time allowed for an appeal it tolls the time for appealing, just like a timely motion under Rule of Civil Procedure 59(e). United States v. Healy, 376 U.S. 75, 77-80, 84 S.Ct. 553, 554-556, 11 L.Ed.2d 527 (1964); see also United States v. Dieter, 429 U.S. 6, 97 S.Ct. 18, 50 L.Ed.2d 8 (1976) (per curiam); Nilson Van & Storage Co. v. Marsh, 755 F.2d 362, 364 (4th Cir.1985); cf. In re X-Cel, Inc., 823 F.2d 192, 193 (7th Cir.1987).

I wonder if Jack knows that (or cares).
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

LPC wrote:
wserra wrote:And what in the world is a "Motion for Reversal"? Does he mean a "Motion for a New Trial" under FRCrP 33? If so, the guy can't even read the rule.
It looks like a motion for reconsideration, but I don't see any provision for that kind of motion in the rules of criminal procedure.

Is there really no way to ask a judge to reconsider a sentence?

A quick Google search turns up United States v. Gargano, 826 F.2d 610 (7th Cir. 1987) (opinion by Judge Posner), which states that:

1. The criminal rules make no provision for motions to reconsider; and

2. Despite the lack of any express rule, the Supreme Court has held that a motion for reconsideration may be filed in a criminal case and that if filed within the time allowed for an appeal it tolls the time for appealing, just like a timely motion under Rule of Civil Procedure 59(e). United States v. Healy, 376 U.S. 75, 77-80, 84 S.Ct. 553, 554-556, 11 L.Ed.2d 527 (1964); see also United States v. Dieter, 429 U.S. 6, 97 S.Ct. 18, 50 L.Ed.2d 8 (1976) (per curiam); Nilson Van & Storage Co. v. Marsh, 755 F.2d 362, 364 (4th Cir.1985); cf. In re X-Cel, Inc., 823 F.2d 192, 193 (7th Cir.1987).

I wonder if Jack knows that (or cares).
I didn't know any such rule, but common legal sense told me there had to be way. Though I wouldn't have styled it in the way Jack has. However, I don't think Jack has been litigating recently, so he's probably rusty. After that nonsense, he may have to convince a panel that he should keep his license....
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown