Genius at work?

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Genius at work?

Post by wserra »

Harvester wrote:Well, being anonymous with a Kazakhstani IP address ... Kazakhstan is lovely this time of year
Borat. I knew it.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

I believe there is a fine, yet important line, between advocating that something be regulated and advocating that the government is the only entity that can effectively regulate that item.

That the government regulates food quality does not mean that only the government could provide that service. There are many examples of the private sector effectively imposing regulations (Underwriters Laboratory for electronic devices). I could see a similiar company that inspects produce and puts its stamp of approval on food. Farmers would pay a bit extra to have their food inspected to get this stamp of approval because consumers would be more likely to buy approved food. The company would then have a financial interest in making sure that their regulations result in higher quality food. If that company frequently allows tainted food to get it's stamp of approval, consumers will start to avoid those products and consumer products approved by a competing inspection company.

Goverment regulation is not completely ineffective, but it's not the only solution out there. What bothers me about government regulation is that there is no real consequence for poor performance. I'd prefer to have my safety in the hands of those whose bottom line is on the line rather than those who won't suffer any consequence if I get e-coli. But the government is doing a good job. Our food supply is safe, and it gets safer every year. I may like to see a private solution here or there, but that's really low on the list of things I'd like to change about government. There's plenty of things that are outright broken to fix first.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Almost every independent product testing and certification agency -- including Underwriters Laboratories, Consumers Union, and the Orthodox Union -- have had to go to court to block infringement (or at least close-enough infringement) on their logos and trademarks.

Although some of these companies are reputable, thorough, and reliable, there are many more who will certify anything for a fee.

This happened recently with one of the salmonella outbreaks where the food processor didn't like the negative reports they were getting from one lab, so they changed to another -- with lower standards -- to get certified.

Along a similar line, consider the recommendations made by many financial analysts in the recent past.
Harvester

Post by Harvester »

Was a bit off with my earlier prediction. Germany returns to the Deutschmark (DM2) officially on January 1, 2011.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 087012/pg1
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

(We need a :BS smiley)
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Harvester wrote:Was a bit off with my earlier prediction. Germany returns to the Deutschmark (DM2) officially on January 1, 2011.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/marketjunk ... 05/14/218/
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:
Harvester wrote:Was a bit off with my earlier prediction. Germany returns to the Deutschmark (DM2) officially on January 1, 2011.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/marketjunk ... 05/14/218/
Link correct? I'm getting nothing....
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"Mr. Agricultural" would probably see a story on The Onion and fall for it.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

That's a website with links to what I have described as "some of the strangest s**t ever to have sunk to the bottom of the Internet" in my posting on one-time lawyer Steffan M. Bertsch.

My prediction is that Germany returns to the Deutschmark simultaneously with the announcement that the NESARA is finally declared to be legally enforceable. See here and here for proof.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Oh, that explains it. Those ginormendous amounts of money that NESRA promises are not dollars at all-- they're deutschmarks.

... Weimar deutschmarks.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

GLP is the place for stuff too wierd for Coast to Coast Am with George Noory. (which is itself a place that got too wierd for it's founder, Art Bell)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.