Anosognosia and tax denial

LDE

Anosognosia and tax denial

Post by LDE »

At the NYTimes Web site, Errol Morris has a series on "anosognosia," a condition in which sufferers are paralyzed but cannot recognize their own paralysis. At the beginning, he discusses criminals in denial, such as a bank robber who thought lemon juice made him invisible to cameras:
Yet, when arrested, Wheeler was completely disbelieving. “But I wore the juice,” he said. Apparently, he was under the deeply misguided impression that rubbing one’s face with lemon juice rendered it invisible to video cameras.

In a follow-up article, Fuoco spoke to several Pittsburgh police detectives who had been involved in Wheeler’s arrest. Commander Ronald Freeman assured Fuoco that Wheeler had not gone into “this thing” blindly but had performed a variety of tests prior to the robbery. Sergeant Wally Long provided additional details — “although Wheeler reported the lemon juice was burning his face and his eyes, and he was having trouble (seeing) and had to squint, he had tested the theory, and it seemed to work.”
The similarity to tax denial was of interest to me. Instead of "but I wore the juice," it's "but I followed the CtC method."

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... dilemma-1/
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Anosognosia and tax denial

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I suspect some of them are more likely to suffer with Wernicke’s aphasia. It would at least account for the gibberish.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

It does work as an analogy. My own favorite tax analogy has always been comparing the structure of the Code to Winchester House.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
LOBO

Post by LOBO »

LDE wrote:
The similarity to tax denial was of interest to me. Instead of "but I wore the juice," it's "but I followed the CtC method."

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... dilemma-1/
Shhhhhh. If anyone figures out that if they say they earned "lemon juice" instead of "wages" it becomes nontaxable, the whole house of cards will fall.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I very much appreciate the link to the articles on anosognosia.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

I like the concept of "social anosognosia," which is not individuals but whole groups of people denying the existence of an impairment.

Lost Horizons might be a good example of social anosognosia, as well as the entire "tax honesty movement" generally.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Fascinating! Thanks for linking the article, LDE.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

The following quote is particularly appropriate for the CtC gang:
If Wheeler was too stupid to be a bank robber, perhaps he was also too stupid to know that he was too stupid to be a bank robber — that is, his stupidity protected him from an awareness of his own stupidity.