Latest on the :Brown Appeal

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: Latest on the :Brown Appeal

Post by grixit »

Ed Brown is a judicial canary. As long as he is entitled to a lawyer, we can be sure that the rest of us will continue to be as well.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Famspear wrote:
wserra wrote:Hell, I've represented rustlers, cut throats, murderers.....bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers, Methodists.....
Methodists?

Methodists? Heavens man, have you no standards at all???!!!?

:Axe:
I notice lawyers aren't in that list..... :Axe:
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:Hell, I've represented rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers, Methodists and the occasional terrorist.
All at once, or in different cases?

I'm imagining a very weird class action suit.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:he assured me that neither he nor any member of the bar would take it as an indication of unfitness to practice law if I was compelled, by the court, to continue to represent this woman.
I would have been annoyed by the suggestion that I would be considered unfit to practice law if I voluntarily continued to represent my client and did NOT move to withdraw.

After having represented one particularly obnoxious client in a very drawn-out and acrimonious court proceeding, I had reason to talk to the judge later about a bar association matter, and I apologized to him for my role in the matter. His response was "Oh, that's just business." I'd like to think most other lawyers and judges understand the same thing.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

LPC wrote:
wserra wrote:Hell, I've represented rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers, Methodists and the occasional terrorist.
All at once, or in different cases?

I'm imagining a very weird class action suit.
Actually, I was thinking of scenes from Blazing Saddles.
"My Health is Better in November."
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Prof wrote:Actually, I was thinking of scenes from Blazing Saddles.
Well, I'm sure Wes would point out that he doesn't have rapists on that list.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

No one got the "gum" reference :?:
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

wserra wrote: nitwits, halfwits, dimwits,
I didn't know you defended my cousins.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

LPC wrote:I'm imagining a very weird class action suit.
Not all that weird. Hedley Lamarr never paid them (or even reimbursed the "shitload of dimes" for the tollbooth).
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

Nikki wrote:No one got the "gum" reference :?:
Did you bring enough for everyone? I didn't know there would be so many... BANG! Boy is he strict!
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

wserra wrote: Hell, I've represented rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers, Methodists and the occasional terrorist. Hasn't affected my reputation.

Wait a second. That didn't come out exactly the way I intended.
Wes, are you sure you haven't been to one of my parties?
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Cathulhu wrote:
wserra wrote: Hell, I've represented rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers, Methodists and the occasional terrorist. Hasn't affected my reputation.

It looks like he may have defended one of them afterwards, though...
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Cathulhu wrote:

Sounds more like elements of my mother's side of the family........
... or my old Boy Scout troop.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers, Methodists and the occasional terrorist
Just the average people in line at the IRS public contact office -- which is significantly better the average Motor Vehicles office since it doesn't include any teenagers.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

So Wes, if you found yourself in the position to represent Ed: family moron, would you start looking for an excuse?
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Gregg wrote:So Wes, if you found yourself in the position to represent Ed: family moron, would you start looking for an excuse?
Understand, I haven't done criminal work at all for 12+ years. Would I have looked for an excuse back when federal criminal defense was almost all I did? No. Towards the end of the 20+ years I spent doing criminal law, personally I would have viewed it as a challenge, just as I did the WTC bombing trial. Professionally - well, read Gideon's Trumpet.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I'm not surprised by that answer. If I were in the position, I might look at it that way. My biggest problem would be that I just don't suffer fools well. I can go along with you if you have an idea I don't agree with, not problem, but when you insist on stupid I don't have the patience.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

wserra wrote:Understand, I haven't done criminal work at all for 12+ years.
It's good you got out before you got caught.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

webhick wrote:It's good you got out before you got caught.
What makes you think he didn't get caught? He ended up here, right?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Elaine's brief has now been filed by her court-appointed attorney. Despite the hurdles that need to be overcome, I think that the court-appointed attorney did a good job in her defense - much better than either Ed or Elaine could have done.

There are a number of interesting facts that are detailed.