Brown supporter trial (Continued)

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: Brown supporter trial (Continued)

Post by Demosthenes »

Welcome to Quatloos, TheWatcher!
Demo.
TheWatcher (MIA)

Post by TheWatcher (MIA) »

Thanks.

I stumbled across this place a few weeks ago and I have been reading everything I can since then. There is quite a bit of useful info here. My only fear is that my head will swell with all the knowledge and I will soon become top heavy.
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

TheWatcher wrote:My only fear is that my head will swell with all the knowledge and I will soon become top heavy.
Be careful, it actually has the opposite effect.

Me before Quatloos*:

Me after Quatloos*:

* neither of those people are actually me.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The lower one is the last guy who didn't take the plea.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
wserra

Post by wserra »

LPC wrote:Sorry to be tedious about this
What else do lawyers do?

Dan, you're certainly right that on their facts neither Johnson nor Phelin control the situation which you discuss - a witness claiming the privilege in front of the jury. I quoted what I did because (1) it is from SCOTUS, (2) lower courts quote the same language in upholding trial rulings that won't let non-party witnesses do so, and (3) the language itself is broad enough to cover our situation. Such a lower court decision (among many others) is United States v. Deutsch, 987 F.2d 878 (2d Cir. 1993): "Although neither party may properly draw such inferences [from a claim of Fifth A. privilege], it is feared that its assertion in the presence of the jury may have a disproportionate effect on its deliberations." As in Deutsch, typically a trial court will hold a brief hearing out the the jury's presence to determine whether the witness has any relevant, non-privileged testimony; if the answer is "no", the witness never appears in front of the jury.

When I was doing criminal work, it happened to me more than once.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Scoop wrote:
Imalawman wrote:
ErsatzAnatchist wrote: Why was this an issue? Did Scoop not want to testify?
I had the same reaction, but I think us lawyers are the only ones who would think that testifying is fun. hell, I'd be totally bummed if I didn't get to testify after I was slated to do so.
Those of us in the reporting business don't much care to be in the testifying business. Not to mention the fact that I knew nothing of any consequence to Riley's defense.
I don't blame you one bit for being relieved. It can be a real pain in the ass for sure. I've always kind of enjoyed it, but then again, I enjoy tax law...so my judgment is very questionable.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

LPC wrote:As I said before, I think that a jury should NOT be allowed to draw inferences from a 5th Amendment claim by a non-defendant witness, but because of the 6th Amendment and not the 5th. If a 5th Amendment claim by a witness could be considered by a jury, then a jury would be able to consider the "testimony" of a witness (i.e., the assertion that the testimony might incriminate the witness) without the defendant being able to cross-examine and "confront" the witness, as guaranteed by the 6th Amendment.
While I agree that a jury should NOT be allowed to draw inferences, in practice, it is difficult to accomplish. No curative instruction will "unring the bell" and there is the danger that the jury would draw some inference - conciously or subconciously.

In that regard, I can understand why this should be done outside the presence of the jury so as to avoid any potential risk, IMHO.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

ErsatzAnatchist wrote:Having once testified as a "witness" in a case, it is a painful experience. Being a lawyer by training and a witness by accident is a conflicting. It is very difficult to separate the "witness" role from the "advocate" role.
Particularly in the same case. :naughty: I remember seeing senior counsel in a case take the stand for his party as an expert witness on legal fees and then try to respond for/over his rookie co-counsel when objections and argument ensued. The judge had to warn him more than once and it was priceless just to watch him try to refrain from making pained or approving expressions while the Judge watched him like a hawk. :)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
ErsatzAnatchist wrote:Having once testified as a "witness" in a case, it is a painful experience. Being a lawyer by training and a witness by accident is a conflicting. It is very difficult to separate the "witness" role from the "advocate" role.
Particularly in the same case. :naughty: I remember seeing senior counsel in a case take the stand for his party as an expert witness on legal fees and then try to respond for/over his rookie co-counsel when objections and argument ensued. The judge had to warn him more than once and it was priceless just to watch him try to refrain from making pained or approving expressions while the Judge watched him like a hawk. :)
I had represented one of the parties in bankruptcy litigation and was called as a witness in a post-divorce hearing on some financial matters. My former client's family law attorney was an IDIOT and I saw my former client's family law case go done the drain. :@#$: It was painful.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Short version.

Jose Gonzalez took the 5th.

Romeo Gonzalez took the 5th.

Reno Gonzalez took the stand.

Today was ...
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:Short version.

Jose Gonzalez took the 5th.

Romeo Gonzalez took the 5th.

Reno Gonzalez took the stand.

Today was ...
So...Jose was looking forward to defending his son...by taking the 5th?!?!? All that sound and fury signifying nothing.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Demosthenes wrote: Today was ...
We're all waiting.......
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Those of you who are local should consider making the trip to the courthouse tomorrow morning...
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Jose not testifying is the little story.

Reno testifying is the big story.
Demo.
Cobalt Shiva
Black Seas Commodore Designate

Post by Cobalt Shiva »

Demosthenes wrote:Jose not testifying is the little story.

Reno testifying is the big story.
Sounds like this is going to be fun on a stick!
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:Those of you who are local should consider making the trip to the courthouse tomorrow morning...
I wanted to show up today to watch everyone take the 5th, but there's this pesky thing that kept getting in the way...what was it again?

Oh yeah, work. :)
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Reno's cross examination starts at 8:30 am for those who can make it.
Demo.
Cobalt Shiva
Black Seas Commodore Designate

Post by Cobalt Shiva »

webhick wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Those of you who are local should consider making the trip to the courthouse tomorrow morning...
I wanted to show up today to watch everyone take the 5th, but there's this pesky thing that kept getting in the way...what was it again?

Oh yeah, work. :)
Work is a four-letter word.

(Count 'em yourself if you don't believe me.)
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

Demosthenes wrote:Reno's cross examination starts at 8:30 am for those who can make it.
:@#$: :@#$: :@#$: :@#$: :@#$: :@#$: :@#$: :@#$:

I have Court in Manchester at 9:00 and 10:30. I will see if I can get out of my 10:30 hearings and get back to Concord, ASAP.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

***trying to figure out how a long a drive it is from Columbus Ohio***

**figure I CAN get away with playing hookey for a day**

*deciding whether it's worth the effort to see what Scoop really looks like*

you see, I had no interest in Scoop's appearence until y'all brought it up, but a full blown tax looney under cross AND the mystery solved, well, I bought a brand new car on Monday and it may need a road trip to break it in... :Axe:
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.