Phony native american tribes on the rise again

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Phony native american tribes on the rise again

Post by Demosthenes »

Judge calls Indian `tribe' bogus, orders it to pay damages
By PAUL FOY Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A federal judge has ordered a $63,000 civil judgment against four people who claim to be chiefs of an American Indian tribe in eastern Utah.

The men, who organized at a fast-food restaurant and say they have hundreds of tribal members, refuse to recognize federal or state laws, have issued their own drivers' licenses and filed countless lawsuits against Utah authorities for ignoring their purported sovereignty.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Stephen P. Friot ordered the men to stop pretending to be American Indians and pay Uintah County damages. He called their tribe a "complete sham."

The group calls itself the Wampanoag Nation, borrowing from the name of Mashpee Wampanoag Nation, a Massachusetts tribe that greeted the Pilgrims in 1620.

Officials with the federally recognized tribe told The Associated Press the Utah men were obvious impostors.

The tribe, which has strict rules of lineage dating to the 19th century, often deals with phony membership claims, said Gayle Andrews, a spokeswoman for the Mashpee Wampanoag Nation.

"A lot of white people are like, `I'm Wampanoag,'" Andrews said. "But you can't just Google yourself into membership. It's not doable."

Members of the Utah group have challenged traffic stops and other encounters with authorities, filing a host of lawsuits and unenforceable debt judgments against prosecutors, law enforcement officers and judges.

In one of its most audacious claims, the group recorded a $250 million debt against Uintah County Attorney JoAnn Stringham with a state agency.

Uintah County, in turn, filed a counterclaim alleging racketeering and fraud.

Friot ruled that the four men and their organizations owe money to the county for damages caused by excessive litigation.

The group's leader is Dale Stevens, 69, who lives without phone service in an unincorporated part of Uintah County. He claims 13 acres in the county are sovereign. Efforts to reach Stevens were unsuccessful Monday.

"We're concerned about the judgment against the people of our tribe," said Martin Campbell, 56, who claims to be the law enforcement minister for the Wampanoag Nation of Utah.
Campbell maintained he had some Indian blood but said none of the leaders or members ever offered proof of Indian ancestry. The tribe has been unsuccessful in getting federal recognition, he said.

All four men represented themselves at trial and insisted their actions were legal. Friot, a federal judge in Oklahoma, traveled to Utah to hear the case because federal judges here have been sued by Stevens.
Demo.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Re: Phony native american tribes on the rise again

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I litigated aginst these guys once, in a federal court in San Diego. The judge was not impressed. (The second judge, that is. The first one recused after they sued him. The second one got sued, too, and he said he wouldn't recuse because they would just keep on suing judges.)
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The men, who organized at a fast-food restaurant and say they have hundreds of tribal members,
For those who just have to know, this scam was started at an Arby's.
Demo.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Arby's whose buildings once were in the shape of a covered wagon. Oh that is rich!

I've always wondered who eats the Horsey sauce? :?
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:I've always wondered who eats the Horsey sauce? :?
My dad and I. Ingested with roast beast, it makes you a damned sexual tyrannosaurus. :twisted:

Heck, they had to stop dumping the stuff out on the prarie as it was doing strange things to the rabbits and casuing an explosion in the jackelope population. :roll:

Now, the Arby-Q sauce is straight waste motor oil......
Really? I kind of liked the Q sauce.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Paul

Post by Paul »

One of the worst wisecracks I ever heard was in an Arby's. I was with my brother and a couple of his friends from college, including a German kid named Jurgen who had never eaten in an Arby's before. He really loved the french fries, of all things, which caused one of the other guys to remark, "What Jurgen likes best about America is that Arby's macht fries."
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Paul wrote:"What Jurgen likes best about America is that Arby's macht fries."
[laughing] Boo hiss.
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:
Paul wrote:"What Jurgen likes best about America is that Arby's macht fries."
[laughing] Boo hiss.
It's the kind of pun that both (a) makes me feel bad for awfulness of it and (b) makes me feel joy that I understood it.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

And their leader is ....

Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

I figured that CKB would catch that one. Doktor Avalanche must be out.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

CaptainKickback wrote:OY!
Nah.

Hus du gezeyen in deyne leyben?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

These guys have been several bricks short of a load for years:

http://loansharks.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three